Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
aeronaut

Default Switching modifier cards.

In the middle of a game, I have elf, halfling, cleric, and a 1/2 breed card, as well as a gnome card in my hand. On my turn, I kick down a door and get either 1/3 breed or chimera, which goes into my hand. Can I look for trouble, playing an undead monster, play 1/3 breed, discard 1/2 breed, and use the discard (of 1/2 breed) to give me +3 against the monster I put down? If playing 1/3 breed works, I assume I'm then clear to play gnome and use the powers it gives me as well.

Or, since I can only have one of the "breed" cards in play at a time, do I have to drop a race when I discard the 1/2 breed card, and once those are discarded, I can then play 1/3 breed and gnome, having had to drop either elf or halfling? If I do have to discard 1/2 breed and, say halfling, can I then get +6 to fight the undead monster?

And of course the same question applies if trying to switch from super munchkin to ultra munchkin.

It seems clear that if I had just one race (or class for the super/ultra munchkin cards,) that it's easy to discard the race/class modifier and then play the more flexible one. The question is can I keep two classes or races in play when switching.

Regards,
aeronaut
Old 07-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Switching modifier cards.

You can switch from Half-Breed to 1/3-Breed, but you cannot use the discarded Half-Breed card to power an ability. Cards spent to power abilities must be discarded ONLY for that purpose.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
bonetm

But if it is his turn (and in his example it is) he could: Discard the Half-Breed to get +3, thus becoming a regular Elf. Then he can play 1/3 Breed anytime during his turn. He is now a 1/3 Elf. Just after that, he plays the Gnome card.

Can't he?
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
But if it is his turn (and in his example it is) he could: Discard the Half-Breed to get +3, thus becoming a regular Elf. Then he can play 1/3 Breed anytime during his turn. He is now a 1/3 Elf. Just after that, he plays the Gnome card.
Yes, he could do that, if that was his layout. But his question said that he had TWO races, not just one.

I don't mind other people weighing in, but please read the previous posts carefully before doing so.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
aeronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
You can switch from Half-Breed to 1/3-Breed, but you cannot use the discarded Half-Breed card to power an ability. Cards spent to power abilities must be discarded ONLY for that purpose.
Thank you. So if I was willing to give up halfling, I could discard halfling, then discard 1/2 breed, getting +6, and then play 1/3 breed and gnome. But there's no way to get a +3 bonus and keep all the race cards in play.

Regards,
aeronaut

Tags
1/2 breed, 1/3 breed, chimera, super munchkin, ultra munchkin