Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
clu2415

Default Re: Homing Shotgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
A standard option for UT HE warheads. Just as bad as penetrating armor as shotgun pellets though.
The OP didn't ask for something better at penetrating armor, though.

Firing 8 projectiles .33" across that have miniaturized course-correcting features seems pointless. Why not fire one projectile with much better course correction? Recently, a .50 caliber projectile was successfully tested that can change direction once. A shotgun load of three correct-once flechettes would be vastly more technically feasible and effective than homing buckshot.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
The OP didn't ask for something better at penetrating armor, though.

Firing 8 projectiles .33" across that have miniaturized course-correcting features seems pointless. Why not fire one projectile with much better course correction? Recently, a .50 caliber projectile was successfully tested that can change direction once. A shotgun load of three correct-once flechettes would be vastly more technically feasible and effective than homing buckshot.
Why use shotshell at all (outside of birding or skeet-shooting, as a defensive weapon for unskilled shooters and a few other useful applications)? FPS games have them, with unrealistic effects, just like they have pistols as more accurate than longarms and so on, as a common trope.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #13
Kabufu

A homing shotgun loaded with less lethal payload (Like pepperspray paintball, or indellible ink) would be a useful if niche riot weapon, you could target the ringleaders and blast away without shooting up a mob indiscriminately.
Kabufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #14
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabufu View Post
A homing shotgun loaded with less lethal payload (Like pepperspray paintball, or indellible ink) would be a useful if niche riot weapon, you could target the ringleaders and blast away without shooting up a mob indiscriminately.
Only as far as you trust your homing system. I can't imagine putting a sensor package into a paintball that can pick one specific person out of a crowd is going to be as simple or reliable as putting it in a gun and just having it shoot carefully.

I interpreted what we saw in the linked video not as homing pellets, but as a sight that recognizes a humanoid silhouette and adjusts ballistics (adaptive choke? spin for a curve ball effect?) to maximize pattern on target.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #15
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Why use shotshell at all..
With the right loading in the right situation its pretty good. It was, reportedly, quite effective in Vietnam where there was very little body armor worn and the ranges were close. Today if you use high volume shot load (18 for a 00 buck or 35 for #4 shot, those get a good ROF bonus) and if you use the new tungsten or hevi shot pellets -- you're looking at 1,300 fps, and effective ranges out 60-70 yards. (These are the Dead Coyote brand rounds, I believe.) On top of that, you've got the new gator shot spreader, an improved version of the old duckbill, detailed in Seals in Vietnam. The gator gets the duckbill bonus to hit, and it acts as a compensator and a breaching muzzle extension. On a magazine- or drum-fed shotgun, that's a pretty devastating CQB weapon. I'd still take an HK416, though.

Oh, and here's the real tungsten spheres, nearly twice the weight of lead:
http://www.tungstenspheres.com/tungsten_spheres.html
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
I'd still take an HK416, though.
Well yeah, as would anybody. Especially if you might face body armor, which you are probably more likely to in the time of astronautical firefights or whatever.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #17
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Well yeah, as would anybody. Especially if you might face body armor, which you are probably more likely to in the time of astronautical firefights or whatever.
Well, I don't know. Most people in any setting will not be wearing body armor. Even those that do so will not be wearing it over their whole bodies. #4 tungsten shot in the knees is not exactly a love tap. And then there's stuff like this: http://www.hevishot.com/catalog/hog-wild/
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I interpreted what we saw in the linked video not as homing pellets, but as a sight that recognizes a humanoid silhouette and adjusts ballistics (adaptive choke? spin for a curve ball effect?) to maximize pattern on target.
Sounds cool. Would that be treated just as a Targeting Computer (+1 or +2 to skill)? It might instead (or also) give a bonus to the number of pellets that hit (1.5 hits per MoS instead of just 1).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
call of duty, homing, sci-fi, shotgun, ths