Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Jet & Cones (Flamethrowers, Fire Extinguishers etc.) in Vacuum and/or Zero-G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Yup, although "non-volatile" is a different matter in vacuum. I suspect anything you might practically use will boil away within a second or two; having it well-chilled will slow this slightly.
Well, oily stuff should be relatively non-volatile, right? I remember hearing about vacuum-okay lubricants for mechanisms, so I'm guessing something suitable should be available.

Boiling off is somewhat bad because it will possibly result in the neutralised cloud dispersing back into the room again. Also because it means the enemy won't be 'painted' anymore.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #12
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Jet & Cones (Flamethrowers, Fire Extinguishers etc.) in Vacuum and/or Zero-G?

Ask your GM questions carefully. The current state of the art for vacuum lubricants seems to be greases, rather than oils; space probes these days avoid moving parts as far as possible.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Any suitable aerosolised oily substance with a distinct colouring. The purpose is to counter enemy Obscure (cloud of prism smoke, metal particles and some other stuff that fraks up most electromagnetic sensors one way or another), and potentially paint the enemy to prevent uses of Chameleon.
Note that many of those things realistically don't work that well in vacuum either, particularly if gravity isn't null. Your big problem with paint-type materials is that they either won't dry out at all, or they'll dry out too fast, though if you want a vacuum-only weapon you can probably play tricks with vacuum deposition.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Note that many of those things realistically don't work that well in vacuum either, particularly if gravity isn't null. Your big problem with paint-type materials is that they either won't dry out at all, or they'll dry out too fast, though if you want a vacuum-only weapon you can probably play tricks with vacuum deposition.
I'm not sure if I need them to dry. It certainly would be nice if the substance stuck to the damn astropus' skin for a minute or so in case of a direct hit. That should probably be longer than the combat will last. I'm not worried about them washing off the thing - that would be too much trouble - enough trouble to be of benefit for our party already.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

For the astropus you could probably use a tailored antibody with a fluorescent dye that binds to the chromataphores.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cone, fire extinuisher, freefall, jet, microgravity, spray can, vacuum, vortex ring projector, zero-g