Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 08-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
pup67vargr

Default Discussion for new GURPS Traveller PbP game, The Voyages of "The Hiawatha"

Anybody interested in a GURPS Traveller game run by your friendly neighborhood Vargr?

Last edited by pup67vargr; 08-04-2011 at 08:33 PM.
pup67vargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
doulos05

Default Re: Discussion for new GURPS Traveller PbP game

I'm interested, assuming I can make it fit my schedule. Never done a PbP, so I'm not sure how time-intensive those are.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
pup67vargr

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
I'm interested, assuming I can make it fit my schedule. Never done a PbP, so I'm not sure how time-intensive those are.
I took a stab at responding to this issue in our other thread, but let me add a bit here, too: "Time-intensive" does really not apply to PbP games. You just log-in when you have time, whenever during your day that happens to be, and if there are any new posts in the game, then you can respond as you see fit, post an action for your character, or whatever. At times you'll want to post a combat action, or a skill check. Other times, it will be strictly a roleplaying situation and you'll just want to give your character's words and thoughts. I haven't seen a built-in dice-roller on these boards, so I'm guessing we'll need to roll all dice on InvisibleCastle.com and post a link to the rolls in the action posts here. It's a simple matter to get a Username and Password at IC and then you're all set. When you log-in to IC, just click on the tab that says "roll dice" and you'll be taken to a screen where you'll enter your character name, campaign name, the number of rolls, and the dice to be rolled. For most GURPS rolls, you'll just need ONE roll, of 3d6+/-whatever modifiers apply.

Last edited by pup67vargr; 08-04-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
pup67vargr

[Moving discussion from the other Thread, since THIS thread is where I wanted to discuss this stuff.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJuan View Post
Well, all that will actually somewhat depend on "when" exactly the game will take place. I wouldn't mind playing a character who's rather overtly biased towards non-terrans. I like characters who have somewhat big character flaws, as it makes them a bit more real (in my opinion at least) and gives a nice character arc to work with.
Really, all my Traveller experience is with the post-Long Night period. But, having said that, I'm totally open to anything, although I must warn everyone that my knowledge of Traveller canon is somewhat lacking and I have been known to just make stuff up on the spur of the moment. So, if necessary, maybe somebody could give me a lesson on the period we choose beforethe game starts? Question: Is the ISW period the time that immediately preceded the Rule of Man, immediately followed the Rule of Man, or something else entirely?

(Never mind, let's just go with Post-Long Night!)
Quote:
Would you be open to having said character have a rather well known reputation? And I don't really mean as a war hero... more like the infamous kind (which could explain the "ex-navy" part). Somehow, I wouldn't mind a few "Hey, aren't you the one they call The Butcher of XYZ?"
Anyways... I'm just throwing ideas around.
Very interesting ideas, too! So for your Reputation Disad, how were you wanting to play it? How large would the class of people be whose reaction toward you is negatively affected?
Quote:
I live in Seoul, South Korea. I'm pretty confident we can count on one hand the number of people besides me in this timezone.

As for the record-keeping portion... Pup, if you're interested, I'm a bit of an amateur programmer and I'm hacking together a program that will generate lists of cargo between two planets. It probably wouldn't be hard to make it 'select' the cargo and put it in our 'cargo hold.' In that case, I don't mind running the 'party face'/ businessman character, giving me a good reason for being the one who knows (alternately, if nobody wants the captain slot, I can run that one instead/too since the captain ought to know what's on his ship).

As for character, I'm up for any era, any race (though I'll probably run one of the Humanati). Once I know what berth I'll be filling on the ship, I'll roll up a character.
I don't know about the cargo program. I usually just make something up, and it's worked so far. But thanks.

About your character, were you guys thinking that Captain = Pilot, or will the Pilot be just another officer?
Quote:
So, if we're thinking free trader, let me just clarify what we're thinking as far as era and ruleset so I can start building a character.

Ruleset: 4E or 3E?
Era: ISW, Rule of Man, pre- or post-Long Night?
Location: Definitely someplace with lots of conflict, I'm down for that.
Rules: 4E

Era: let's say ISW. Everybody cool with that?

Location: How's about -- 1204 Mongo/Jewell/Spinward Marches, (Starport: Class V, Diameter: 3,201 miles, Atmosphere: Std. O2/N, Surface Water: 80%, Climate: normal, Population: 6.206 M, Gov: Civil Service Bureaucracy, Control Rating: 2, TL: 9.)

If we're going to do ISW, then we will probably NOT want to be in the marches, will we? We'll pick someplace fairly near to Terra/Sol, but not TOO close.

Last edited by pup67vargr; 08-03-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
pup67vargr

Looking for doulos05, sn0wball, and MisterJuan to continue our discussion of the premise of our game here.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
doulos05

Well, with 3 of us, we're either looking at doubling up on characters or skeleton-crewing our ship (unless we take a Scout).

Personally, I'd be in favor of taking a slightly larger vessel than the standard Beowulf/Hero class, maybe based off the Lightning class Far Trader in ISW. IIRC, that's like 14 crew members. Most of them could be red shirts, having only the occasional cameo appearance, with maybe just the officer character's being fully fleshed out. Just a thought. Hero-class ships work pretty well with 5 people, though we could do 6 for a gunner, so that would actually be perfect.

ISW is Interstellar Wars period. It's the time when the Terrans beat the Vilani. Personally, I'll start researching the Long Night.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
MisterJuan

I might need to do a bit of digging concerning the era, since the only book I have in my possession is the 4th ed Traveller : ISW book. If need be, I might just become a pain in the ass and ask a tone of questions ;)
MisterJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
doulos05

Quote:
I might need to do a bit of digging concerning the era, since the only book I have in my possession is the 4th ed Traveller : ISW book. If need be, I might just become a pain in the ass and ask a tone of questions ;)
The gist is, bad things happened and the 2nd Imperium collapsed. Thousands of years passed before a new ruler emerged powerful enough to try pulling everything back together. Everything is in flux, few people know anything about most places near them, lots of exploring and learning to do in general. You could easily explain most gaps in your knowledge as simply never having encountered it before.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #9
pup67vargr

Quote:
Feel free, we welcome pains in our backsides! :-D Some of us probably have answers, too, but I do reserve the right as GM to change anything that I don't think suits the game.

Quote:
Well, with 3 of us, we're either looking at doubling up on characters or skeleton-crewing our ship (unless we take a Scout).

Personally, I'd be in favor of taking a slightly larger vessel than the standard Beowulf/Hero class, maybe based off the Lightning class Far Trader in ISW. IIRC, that's like 14 crew members. Most of them could be red shirts, having only the occasional cameo appearance, with maybe just the officer character's being fully fleshed out. Just a thought. Hero-class ships work pretty well with 5 people, though we could do 6 for a gunner, so that would actually be perfect.

ISW is Interstellar Wars period. It's the time when the Terrans beat the Vilani. Personally, I'll start researching the Long Night.
Hold on with that research! Maybe ISW would be a better period to use? I found that book after all, you see....

And the Hero class 200-DTon Private Merchant has a crew of 5 officers and 3 petty officers. Since we will have 2 pcs per player, we can double-up on one officer slot, say put an Officer over the medical section with a petty officer assistant physician, or a Gunnery Officer like you suggested. That will give each Player 2 Officers and 1 Petty Officer (red shirt) to control. If that's too much, one or two of those three can be designated NPCs, but we need to have each player controlling the same number of characters.

[REVISED this below already! Looking to get by in a Hero Class Private Merchant with TWO PCs each -- keep on reading....]

Wow, I gotta read-up on this ISW period! Looks very cool, and I can't wait!

Last edited by pup67vargr; 08-03-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
doulos05

I ran a free trader in the default campaign setting suggested in ISW. It's a pretty tumultuous time period, though Long Night would work too. Ship designs are transportable to any era and so are character templates and such.