Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #31
Dorin Thorha

Default Re: Discussion for new GURPS Traveller PbP game

I like the space genre, but know only a little about the Traveler setting. I will watch this game with interest, and might be able to play a crewmember if it was one that didn't require much setting knowledge.

Maybe a dedicated Gunner or a "Face" type character, depending on how the players of petty officers #1 and #2 go with their builds? Both of them seem a bit overloaded with tasks.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #32
doulos05

Dorin, setting knowledge in this time period is actually not an issue, provided you're from Earth and we spend most of our time in the Imperium.The biggest thing you need to know is, we're in an uneasy peace between Earth and this massive Imperium we've just encountered. Maybe your character is a captialist whose objective is to make a buck and spread the gospel of capitalism to the crazy, planned economy Vilani. Makes a good party face, given your skillset, and it explains your lack of knowledge of the setting.

We can split my secondary in half, with my guy specializing in Cargo handling and yours specializing in passengers and locating said cargo
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #33
pup67vargr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJuan View Post
Do we know how many build points we're working on, character build wise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05 View Post
150 pt characters with 75 points of disads and 5 quirks ok?
I was actually thinking more like 160 pt characters with NO MORE than 50 pts of disads, and NO MORE than 5 quirks, but less disads and/or quirks is certainly ok. And let's see if we can't go light on the pacifism, ok? I feel the need to present you with some villains that have a desperate need to be killled.
Quote:
And do we want the characters to be an already established crew? As in, they've all been working with each other for some time, or do we go the "this is our first job togheter" route?
Quote:
I'd prefer the hybrid 'newly established crew'. We've been together long enough to have a good reason to trust each other and get along, but not so long we should have lots of in-jokes and history. Maybe a month or two.
Agreed. You've been working together aboard the Hero Class Hiawatha for almost 3 months. (for those non-Americans who don't know, Hiawatha ("Hye-a-wath-a) is a legendary hero of several American Indian tribes [Horrors! the pc term is now Native American], and although I was just reading something this morning that claimed that there might have been an actual person by that name, he certainly would not have been capable of the heroic feats attributed to him in legend.)

In fact, you'll be marking your 90th day together aboard the Hiawatha next week. That's 90 days with no incidents, no injuries, and all pick-ups and deliveries made on time. It seems almost too good to last.... Some of you may have a nagging feeling that the universe has something up its sleeve waiting for you, while others among you may dismiss such notions as ludicrous superstition.

[The paragraph above will be re-posted when the IC thread opens, the preview is given to give you a little more of a taste of things to come to help with character creation.]
Quote:
EDIT: Forgot to ask; what period of the ISW are we going to be in? Free Trader wise, I think the "default" setting is the Empty Peace or somehing that sounds like that ;)
Quote:
And yes, I'd vote for the Empty Peace. It's a good time for gaming.
Done and done!

Last edited by pup67vargr; 08-04-2011 at 09:26 PM.
pup67vargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #34
MisterJuan

MORE questions! :)
-Do we make our character sheets "public" knowledge, or PM them to you privately? Personally, since the crew already know each other, I would have no problem with having other players know the exact stats of my characters... it would make a lot of sense in a way.

-Is there a particular format you'd like for a background? Just a few lines? A detailed history? etc... Personally, I'm pretty much willing to go as far as needed.
MisterJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #35
pup67vargr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorin Thorha View Post
I like the space genre, but know only a little about the Traveler setting. I will watch this game with interest, and might be able to play a crewmember if it was one that didn't require much setting knowledge.

Maybe a dedicated Gunner or a "Face" type character, depending on how the players of petty officers #1 and #2 go with their builds? Both of them seem a bit overloaded with tasks.
Quote:
Dorin, setting knowledge in this time period is actually not an issue, provided you're from Earth and we spend most of our time in the Imperium.The biggest thing you need to know is, we're in an uneasy peace between Earth and this massive Imperium we've just encountered. Maybe your character is a captialist whose objective is to make a buck and spread the gospel of capitalism to the crazy, planned economy Vilani. Makes a good party face, given your skillset, and it explains your lack of knowledge of the setting.

We can split my secondary in half, with my guy specializing in Cargo handling and yours specializing in passengers and locating said cargo
Let's hold off on adding another character for right now. Sorry, Dorin, but I'd like to get started with what we already have. Maybe later on, said Petty Officers will decide that they have too many responsibilities and put in a requisition for some help. Your "dude" is guaranteed to be hanging out in whatever Class IV or V StarPort is nearest to the Hiawatha when said request is made. Think you would/could be happy with only one character (and an enlisted type at that!) when the others have two apiece? And about being overloaded, I don't expect that there is going to be much call for a gunner, ordinarily. The only weapons you're likely to have at least at first are sandcasters and missiles, which are both pretty much 'fire-and-forget' weapons anyway. And I was hoping that one or both of the captain and first officer would at least be SEMI-'faces.' So, by all means, continue to watch the goings on here and in our IC thread, and even make OOC comments in the OOC thread when you have something to say. Let's all try to keep the OOC chatter in the OOC thread as much as possible, and keep the IC thread dedicated to actual game-play, please? (I'll probably be the worst violator of that rule, though!)

And Rasimus these sentinments apply to you as well. Are you also interested in an 'alternate' position in case we need a replacement later? There may be one or more opportunities for both of you, Rasimus and Dorin to join the action a little later on. I truly appreciate the interest that both of you have shown, and it hurts me more than I can say to spurn willing players. I ask your forgiveness and you patience, please?

Last edited by pup67vargr; 08-04-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #36
pup67vargr

Quote:
MORE questions! :)
-Do we make our character sheets "public" knowledge, or PM them to you privately? Personally, since the crew already know each other, I would have no problem with having other players know the exact stats of my characters... it would make a lot of sense in a way.

-Is there a particular format you'd like for a background? Just a few lines? A detailed history? etc... Personally, I'm pretty much willing to go as far as needed.
Let's post them here until I can open a 'Rogues' Gallery' Thread for them. Eeek, what's the GURPS term for 'Rogues' Gallery?' I'd at least like to have a title for this game before I do that. [sblock=huh?]Does this board support 'sblocks' of text? If so, you might conceal some info that way, which would only deter the most casual of snoops.[/sblock]

Please do NOT pm the character sheets to me. And I'm looking for more than a few lines of background, but less than, say, three paragraphs. If you can say everything in one 5-sentence paragraph, then by all means please do so. If it takes more than 3 paragraphs to say everything, that's ok, too. Just make sure that you're saying something and not just running up a word count.

Last edited by pup67vargr; 08-04-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #37
MisterJuan

Again with my questions!
-Merchant Rank: necessary? If so, how much should the First Officer have?
MisterJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #38
pup67vargr

We have a CREW ROSTER* now, and here it is: Hiawatha Crew Roster

* Solved the problem of what to call the 'Rogues' Gallery,' heh.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #39
pup67vargr

Quote:
Again with my questions!
-Merchant Rank: necessary? If so, how much should the First Officer have?
Ok, sorry I missed this quesiton earlier. "Merchant Rank"? Not sure what you mean. If you mean shipboard rank, then yes it is necessary. Captain should be grade O-6 (Captain, of course), and First Officer, X.O. should be at least O-4, so that would be Lieutenant Commander, or possibly O-5 Commander. Just for laughs, the Ships Surgeon is likely O-4 Lieutenant Commander as well.

Among the enlisted crew, someone will need to be the Senior Chief Petty Officer (SCPO), and there can be one or more Chief Petty Officers (CPO), and the rest just Petty Officers (PO). The New Guy, when he joins can give himself the rank of Able Crewman if he so desires. (Or even Able Spacer if he wants.)
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #40
Dorin Thorha

That's fine, I'll continue to lurk. If I did join I would strongly prefer to have only one character, as more would become difficult to manage, so that's not a problem. If the party finds itself lacking in a particular area as time goes on I'll be happy to fill the gap.

Quote:
"Merchant Rank"?
I think he is referring to the Rank advantages, 5 points/level. Merchant is listed as a possible type, along with Military, Religious, and Administrative, iirc. It is used in settings with an organised "Merchant Marine".

Last edited by Dorin Thorha; 08-04-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Dorin Thorha is offline   Reply With Quote