Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Create (Food)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
That's right, Bill - I don't want to charge my player CP every time he wants to use his powers to make a meal. The context is an ability that makes symbolic food nutritious - by eating a picture of an apple you get the benefits of a snack - but it's explicitly transferable: the magic is going into the picture (which becomes nutritious) not the person.

I started by thinking about something like "Affliction (cast-iron stomach)" but that's about the person, not the symbol. Then I thought about using Snatcher with Limited... and I went back and forth on the merits of that vs. Create for a while before I figured I'd ask the community.
Snatcher with Creation may cost a lot, but, it IS permanent. Throwing in Takes Extra Time really wouldn't hurt its effectiveness, either.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Snatcher with Creation may cost a lot, but, it IS permanent. Throwing in Takes Extra Time really wouldn't hurt its effectiveness, either.
I mean, the price isn't really the issue. With a whole load of Limited (only food) and Accessibility (must have a good symbolic representation of the food in question) I'm sure i can finagle something...
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #13
Nereidalbel

Quote:
I mean, the price isn't really the issue. With a whole load of Limited (only food) and Accessibility (must have a good symbolic representation of the food in question) I'm sure i can finagle something...
Make it take 10 minutes instead of 10 seconds. There's a discount for ya.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #14
Anaraxes

What about Doesn't Eat or Drink (Affects Others) [15]? Or (Area Effect), if preferred?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

I've used Cosmic, No Creation Pool Required for Permanent Items at the +300% for "Godlike Tricks." It's worked out pretty well for me.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #16
Culture20

Fixed magic (magery:one spell -80%) with the create food spell could work too. Buy the spell at high enough level to reduce fatigue and ritual requirements, buy off the implicit "-10% magic" power mod on the whole "power" (magery and the spell; not strictly legal RAW), and you'll have an ever flowing food source without a creation pool of CP.

Last edited by Culture20; 05-14-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #17
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
What about Doesn't Eat or Drink (Affects Others) [15]? Or (Area Effect), if preferred?
That's a clever idea, but it could get pricey since each person affected will need another level of AO. A beneficial Affliction would work about the same. It would be unappealingly expensive, but the cost would be front-loaded.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #18
kirbwarrior

I've blatantly gotten rid of the Creation Pool; to me, the FP cost is more important, not how long it lasts. I've used this same build with a Nuisance Effect that you lose hunger FP to use it (you're creating food out of yourself).

Quote:
That's right, Bill - I don't want to charge my player CP every time he wants to use his powers to make a meal. The context is an ability that makes symbolic food nutritious - by eating a picture of an apple you get the benefits of a snack - but it's explicitly transferable: the magic is going into the picture (which becomes nutritious) not the person.

I started by thinking about something like "Affliction (cast-iron stomach)" but that's about the person, not the symbol. Then I thought about using Snatcher with Limited... and I went back and forth on the merits of that vs. Create for a while before I figured I'd ask the community.
Affliction that gives an Alternate Form that only gives 'Feature: Is as tasty and nutritious as the embodied image' would work. Slap on 'Only on inanimate objects' and 'Resisted by IQ' and you don't have to worry about any pesky side effects.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #19
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Affliction that gives an Alternate Form that only gives 'Feature: Is as tasty and nutritious as the embodied image' would work. Slap on 'Only on inanimate objects' and 'Resisted by IQ' and you don't have to worry about any pesky side effects.
Except that Alternate Form replaces your current racial template rather than adding to it, so it would change whatever the image was into a human with the Feature in question.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #20
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Except that Alternate Form replaces your current racial template rather than adding to it, so it would change whatever the image was into a human with the Feature in question.
Fine then, Affliction, Advantage: Feature: Is as tasty and nutritious as the embodied image.

Tags
character points, create, creation pool, powers