Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
Harry O'Gane

Default Combining RTS with RPG

Now, a strange idea occured to me last night while drinking a beer with my buddies. We discussed the RPGs we played, various settings we encountered, RPG systems and so on. We all agreed that the RPGs which had a variety of other genres implemented in themselves acquired the highest rank amongst ourselves.

And so, we somehow reached the topic regarding RTS games. All of us played a lot of those, as well, and started talking about how great it is when RPGs are smartly mixed with RTS.

So, the idea that occured was: How about mixing the two together (RPG and RTS) and implementing it into GURPS system?

The PCs would be generals, chieftains, warlords, whatever, and the sessions would be consisted of those same high-ranked officers in their camps, in front of the battlefields, planning their moves. Note that I haven't read GURPS: Mass Combat yet, (although I am planning to).

Anyway, I would separate each session into three main parts:

1) Info gathering - a very off-game part consisted of rolls and map reading, where characters would simply point out to the GM which informations they want to know, and according to their PCs skills, knowledge of the terrain etc., I would provide them with the mentioned info accordingly. For this occasion (and for teh following steps, I would make detailed maps, and add landmarks and notes on it according to the info the characters gathered)

2) The planning - an in-game part, where characters (generals) plan their next move. As I've mentioned before, they are situated in a big general tent, and are in the midst of a war, per se. Each session is , therefore, the night before a certain battle, and they need to make a good plan that will work. I, as a GM, act as the opposing side and make my plans as well, and it's up to them to recognize the potential danger and act before I do. All in all, this part is almost 90% conversation between them. In the first part of the session, they gathered the necessary info, and now it's on them to cleverly think together and use it.

3) The battle - The battle starts, and I, as a GM, explain the unfolding situation. If there is a big, important battle incoming, players could have their characters execute a speech to bolster their troops' morale. Also, they could change their plans in the battle, but with certain penalties, since their have to think fast. Once the battle is done, several outcomes are possible: The generals won, and if their plans turned out right, they receive CPts accordingly. If they reached some sort of a tie, they still do receive CPts, but on a lower scale. If they failed, their troops have to retreat, and they receive only CPts for the roleplaying of their characters.

Now, I plan on putting the characters as attackers for the sake of playtesting, but I considered making them defenders, as well.

All in all, I need a professional opinion on this from you, ladies and gentlemen, in order for me to execute this properly.

Best regards,

Marko
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Combining RTS with RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane View Post
Note that I haven't read GURPS: Mass Combat yet, (although I am planning to).
Yeah, you really need to do that before going any farther.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

RTS no, but you can sort of do RPG-based TBS.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
starslayer

Looking at it from the other side you may want to check out:

Warlords battlecry (1 2 or 3)- an absolutely underrated series of games from a few years ago that had a unique mechanic where you start each battle with a Hero, who has PERSISTANT experience and levels, and a huge variety of stats and skills to grow into (which is to say if you were level 5 at the end of your first fight, you will start the next fight at level 5- to make up for this disparity in multiplayer the weaker side gets to select starting units == level difference). Graphics have NOT aged well, but it is still fun. The company that made this also makes the 'puzzzle quest' games, so hopefully with there oodles of money from those we will eventually see warlords battlecry 4.

TA Spring: Zero-k mod: has persistent commander experience that allows you to unlock certain special starting units and upgrades.

The real time aspect of real time strategy basically makes it computer only, as anything attempting to emulate real time without a computer to run very short turn cycles (which is how most 'real time' games actually work- there might be an exception that uses 'true' real time but I can't think of one) will run into a LOT of problems.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurpsification, mass combat, rpg+rts, rts, strategy