Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2022, 03:18 AM   #81
RogerBW
 
RogerBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: near London, UK
Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Spheroid. With an eccentric weight to make it come to rest in a consistent orientation. Like a lawn bowl.
I have some spherical d6s, bought some time in the late 1980s. As best I can tell, they have an octahedral cavity in which a ball bearing moves freely.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:05 AM   #82
Varyon
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Spheroid. With an eccentric weight to make it come to rest in a consistent orientation. Like a lawn bowl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
It's a Gömböc.
Yeah, this sounds about right. I was going to suggest a sphere with a flattened section for the same effect, but I believe this would accomplish that much more successfully.

Here's an interesting one though - technically, a coin is not a d2, it's a d3 where one side (the edge) has a much lower probability than the others (apparently for a US nickel you're looking at landing on its edge once out of 6000 throws - so you're looking at something like 5999/12,000 for Heads, 5999/12,000 for Tails, and 1/6,000 for Edge.

So... what would an actual d2 be?
__________________
GURPS Overhaul

Last edited by Varyon; 05-25-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:24 PM   #83
malloyd
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Yeah, this sounds about right. I was going to suggest a sphere with a flattened section for the same effect, but I believe this would accomplish that much more successfully.

Here's an interesting one though - technically, a coin is not a d2, it's a d3 where one side (the edge) has a much lower probability than the others (apparently for a US nickel you're looking at landing on its edge once out of 6000 throws - so you're looking at something like 5999/12,000 for Heads, 5999/12,000 for Tails, and 1/6,000 for Edge.

So... what would an actual d2 be?
You just need to round (or narrow to a point) the edges of the coin so it's not stable to sit on them. Theoretically most dice could balance on edge. Or vertex for that matter - they're symmetric about them after all. In fact they're duals of each other (the vertices of a d6 or d12 are equivalent to the faces of a d8 or d20). They're just usually not flat enough for that the be a [stable] equilibrium, so they won't stay there very long in the real world. The coins usually won't either, but the edge is just wide enough for some of them it looks plausible.
__________________
--
MA Lloyd
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:56 AM   #84
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Here's an interesting one though - technically, a coin is not a d2, it's a d3 where one side (the edge) has a much lower probability than the others (apparently for a US nickel you're looking at landing on its edge once out of 6000 throws - so you're looking at something like 5999/12,000 for Heads, 5999/12,000 for Tails, and 1/6,000 for Edge.

So... what would an actual d2 be?
Biconvex, like the lens in a standard magnifying glass.
__________________

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:52 AM   #85
Daigoro
 
Daigoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Meifumado
Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

Following on, both the player and GM have a d∞ each.

In a quick contest, the GM rolls his d∞, and the player must beat the roll. Is the player better off knowing or not knowing what result he must beat before he rolls?
__________________
Collaborative Settings:
Cyberpunk: Duopoly Nation
Space Opera: Behind the King's Eclipse
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:55 AM   #86
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Following on, both the player and GM have a d∞ each.

In a quick contest, the GM rolls his d∞, and the player must beat the roll. Is the player better off knowing or not knowing what result he must beat before he rolls?
Can the player's knowledge affect the outcome of the die roll?
__________________
Bill Stoddard

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:12 AM   #87
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

This is a departure from the original topic of this thread, I think, but it occurs to me that three of the powers in GURPS Powers: The Weird are based on philosophical concepts: Logos, Noumena, and Void. Logos is about the idea of a primal true language; Noumena is about access to a realm that transcends the illusions and distortions of the senses, as in Plato or Kant; Void is about the idea of nonexistence as a power independent of and opposed to existence—the Manichean rather than the Boethian view of evil.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:20 AM   #88
malloyd
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Can the player's knowledge affect the outcome of the die roll?
Surely whoever rolls second always wins. The probability space between the first roll X and infinity is always infinitely larger than the space between 0 and X, right?
__________________
--
MA Lloyd
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:22 AM   #89
Lovewyrm
 
Lovewyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Following on, both the player and GM have a d∞ each.

In a quick contest, the GM rolls his d∞, and the player must beat the roll. Is the player better off knowing or not knowing what result he must beat before he rolls?
They both roll the d∞ at the same time, and then they fight using the dice as swords.
If one can't lift his die, then that's a loss.
If both can't lift them, it's a draw.

(This is not really fair since it brings reallife capabilities into rolling for stuff, but if you have something extraordinary like a d∞, then why not do something extraordinary with them?)
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:28 AM   #90
The Colonel
 
The Colonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
They both roll the d∞ at the same time, and then they fight using the dice as swords.
If one can't lift his die, then that's a loss.
If both can't lift them, it's a draw.

(This is not really fair since it brings reallife capabilities into rolling for stuff, but if you have something extraordinary like a d∞, then why not do something extraordinary with them?)
This assumes, does it not, that amongst an infinity of numbers, one of them must be "sword" ... or am I misreading?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
philosophy, sisyphus, theseus, trolley problem

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.