Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Finalsora811

Default Multiple Rapid Strikes

This feels like kind of a stupid question, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. When taking multiple rapid strikes, is the negative to your skill doubled or do you just add 6 on each time?

For instance, if I wanna take 5 rapid strikes, what would the negative to my skill be?
Finalsora811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Multiple Rapid Strikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalsora811 View Post
This feels like kind of a stupid question, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. When taking multiple rapid strikes, is the negative to your skill doubled or do you just add 6 on each time?

For instance, if I wanna take 5 rapid strikes, what would the negative to my skill be?
This is in Martial Arts and requires Weapon Master or Trained by a master. (p.127)

Basically:
2 attacks -6/-6
3 attacks -12/-12/-12
4 attacks -18/-18/-18/-18
5 attacks -24/-24/-24/-24/-24

but this is before effects like Extra Attack (Multistrike) or AoA(Double)

and this is before the halving for Weapon Master

so
2 attacks -3/-3
3 attacks -6/-6/-6
4 attacks -9/-9/-9/-9
5 attacks -12/-12/-12/-12/-12
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
This is in Martial Arts and requires Weapon Master or Trained by a master. (p.127)
Your math is correct, but this line is not. Martial Arts specifies that the option for multiple Rapid Strikes requires a cinematic game, but could be performed by anyone with sufficient skill. Tbam is of course hugely beneficial in reducing the skill penalty.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Your math is correct, but this line is not. Martial Arts specifies that the option for multiple Rapid Strikes requires a cinematic game, but could be performed by anyone with sufficient skill. Tbam is of course hugely beneficial in reducing the skill penalty.
Sorry I have to stick by my statement

Bold for printed italics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martial Aarts p.127
Rapid Strike (p. B370): Unless he took Move and Attack, a warrior can split one of his melee attacks into two attacks with the same weapon or two unarmed attacks, at an extra -6. Those with Trained by a Master or Weapon Master take half the penalty, and may be able to attempt three or more attacks; see Rapid Strike (below).
though admittedly it does weaken this requirement later:

Quote:
In addition, the GM may rule that only those who have these advantages can attempt three or more attacks with a Rapid Strike.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Sorry I have to stick by my statement
While that's true, I think that's the general case. See further down that page:

"In a cinematic campaign – especially a chambara or wuxia
one – the GM may wish to allow more than two attacks with
a Rapid Strike (p. B370). If so, the penalty becomes -6 per
extra attack: -6 for two attacks, -12 for three, -18 for four, and
so on. This applies to all the attacks; it doesn’t accumulate
gradually. For instance, three attacks would all be at -12."

"In addition, the GM may rule that only
those who have these advantages can attempt three or more
attacks with a Rapid Strike."

So really, it's GM's choice. The default assumption seems to be though that if Multiple Rapid Strikes are allowed at all, they are open to anyone with sufficient skill.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Bruno

Dungeon Fantasy doesn't normally allow 3+ rapid strikes for regular schlubs. It has a 3-Rapid-Strike based technique that explicitly replaces the requirement for TBAM with restricted conditions of usage and a prerequisite (high) amount of ST.

On the other hand, IIRC Monster Hunters does allow 3+ rapid strikes for whomever can eat the penalty.

Both are "fully worked" campaign environments, and both are pretty cinematic, but they have different styles, and different sets of optional rules engaged.

I think the only thing you can safely call the "Default" is "No 3+ rapid strikes for anybody" - any other set of conditions is an option, and it's hard to call one set "more optional" than another.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
trooper6

I was in a realistic-ish arena game where anyone could do 3+ rapid strikes if they could eat the penalty. We could use fp for extra effort as well. But it never felt all that cinematic because we didn't have a lot of cp to begin with. The only way you could get that 3+ rapid strike combo was really conditional (you had to combine techniques just right), or cost you a lot of fatigue.

I know a lot of folk feel extra effort in combat is cinematic as well, it didn't feel that way in this arena. I remember a great duel between my fencer and another fencer. We circled each other attacking and parrying and dodging. We pushed ourselves, spending fatigue here and there. I mostly reserved my fp defense. My opponent decided to take a risk and go for a 3+ rapid strike burning 3fp to try and take me down. I survived the onslaught and my opponent was left very winded. My opponent ended up pushing more fp expenditure as she got more desperate. In the end she exhausted herself and that is what allowed my pc to win. It felt very realistic and mirrored my experience getting tired in melee combat.

So, I think 3+ rapid strikes can feel realistic in the context of other setting switches.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
So really, it's GM's choice. The default assumption seems to be though that if Multiple Rapid Strikes are allowed at all, they are open to anyone with sufficient skill.
Speaking as one of the co-authors, the intention I had is that the GM can pick and choose who gets to do it. If they choose to let TBAM and WM folks do it, but not anyone else, fine. If they limit it to some arbitrary skill minimum, fine. If they limit it to people with some other qualifying factor, fine. It's a GM decision, so a GM can allow it to some but not all, just like other optional rules. If a GM chooses to let some people do multiple Rapid Strikes but not everyone, that's fine with me.

That said, Sean wrote that section, rules-wise, but we collaborated on the idea. IIRC I was pacing around my apartment in Japan on Skype with him. Heh.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rapid strike