Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
nerdvana
 
nerdvana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default Pricing Borrowed Technology Cost

I was recently reminded (in the Gurps: Post Apocalyptic thread I found searching the forums for PA postings) about Borrowed Technology (on B513). How would you price this? (I was thinking of treating it like an accessability -80%, thus making each level of Borrowed Technology a perk.) How does this sound to the rest of you?

Last edited by nerdvana; 03-24-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Pricing Borrowed Technology Cost

I don't understand what you mean by borrowed technology.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Pricing Borrowed Technology Cost

That's the bit from B513 about a TL higher than yours that you can learn for operating purposes, but not for repairing. I don't understand the 'for CG purposes' though.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
nerdvana
 
nerdvana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default Re: Pricing Borrowed Technology Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I don't understand what you mean by borrowed technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
That's the bit from B513 about a TL higher than yours that you can learn for operating purposes, but not for repairing. I don't understand the 'for CG purposes' though.
NAS had DJ2's answer for me (thanks) and by "CG Purposes" I mean chargen... sorry for using short hand and something that completely didn't matter anyway... I've edited the original post for clarity puropses. NAS, my question is about pricing in general.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Pricing Borrowed Technology Cost

I'm not sure that it's worth a reduction... it sounds like a form of Taboo Trait linked to the levels of High TL.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
nerdvana
 
nerdvana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default Re: Pricing Borrowed Technology Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I'm not sure that it's worth a reduction... it sounds like a form of Taboo Trait linked to the levels of High TL.
So, for a TL 4/8 person you'd recommend just paying for 8 and saying that they have a taboo trait about repairing or building above TL4?

Still seems better to have them pay for 4 (or have that as the campaign baseline) and then have some sort of discount on the other levels... maybe -80% is too much?
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Pricing Borrowed Technology Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana
So, for a TL 4/8 person you'd recommend just paying for 8 and saying that they have a taboo trait about repairing or building above TL4?

Still seems better to have them pay for 4 (or have that as the campaign baseline) and then have some sort of discount on the other levels... maybe -80% is too much?
To the first question: Yeah, I think that is the intent of Borrowed Tech. For the second: -80% is definitely too much for just the restriction on mechanical and engineering skills. Are you envisioning some other limitation beside that?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
nerdvana
 
nerdvana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default Re: Pricing Borrowed Technology Cost

No, I don't envision any other limitations, thus my realizing that I went way to far there. :D
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
cosmicfish
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Re: Pricing Borrowed Technology Cost

I don't know if 80% is necessarily unreasonable... depending on the item! A TL4 character with a TL8 deserves 0% discount, but what if it is a major item requiring a lot of maintenance, like a vehicle? The discount should represent the relative loss of use due to degredation from lack of repair. If that laser only has 20 shots left before it fails, how much is it really worth?
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
nerdvana
 
nerdvana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Default Re: Pricing Borrowed Technology Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
I don't know if 80% is necessarily unreasonable... depending on the item! A TL4 character with a TL8 deserves 0% discount, but what if it is a major item requiring a lot of maintenance, like a vehicle? The discount should represent the relative loss of use due to degredation from lack of repair. If that laser only has 20 shots left before it fails, how much is it really worth?
This is for a post apocalyptic world where the higher tech stuff is not easily replacable.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
post apocalyptic, q&a, tech levels

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.