Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2024, 04:05 PM   #1
Jelsa23

Default Is Extra Attack worth it?

Hello,

I was told that extra attack was busted/OP, but I'm not sure how. I always usually rapid strike anyways for 2 attacks, so is one other one going to make a difference. I know you can split one of your attacks into a rapid strike, but I'm not sure of cool/worthwhile actions aside from that. The few I was given were: "Two stabs, arm lock into stab, arm lock into rapid stab since they near defenseless." My skills are Rapier, Raper arm lock, judo, judo sweep, counterattack rapier, and judo throw. I think that's all the relevant ones anyways. And any info on grappling with these would be helpful as well. Any help on how to optimize my extra attack or combos/cool tricks would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Jelsa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 04:36 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Is Extra Attack worth jt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelsa23 View Post
Hello,

I was told that extra attack was busted/OP, but I'm not sure how. !
What Extra Attack does is simplify your life.

Are you buying off Rapid Strike penalties as a Technique?
Are you buying up your Rapid Strike Skill to soak Rapid Strike penalties?
Are you doing Rapid Strikes with more than one Skill?

If you get Extra Attack you can stop worrying about any of these things. Buy Extra Attack and you can attack twice every round as long as you have two limbs free. If those limbs are wielding weapons all the better but it works for Unarmed combat skills too! It also works for Ranged Weapon skills if you can use those weapons in one hand.

Mix and match all of the above too. Stab with your rapier in one hand and kick with one foot on the same round with no penalties (except the -2 for Kicking). If you have blackpowder pistols to go with those rapiers fire two of them in one Turn. Throw two knives if you don't have pistols.

You use Rapid Strike as a Technique or a specific "trick" when you're going to _specialize_ in that one trick. Extra Attack is for people who aren't going to specialize or limit themselves to just one trick..
Old 03-09-2024, 04:37 PM   #3
Jelsa23

Default Re: Is Extra Attack worth it?

Thank you! I also forgot I had weapon master if that changes anything
Old 03-09-2024, 04:39 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Extra Attack costs [25], which will buy 6 extra levels of skill.

The most obvious reason it might be worthwhile is if the GM wants to avoid extremely high skill levels, but is willing to have you take Extra Attack. Another is a desire to get an Extra Attack with any weapon, not just your preferred weapon.

I'd generally prefer to have the extra skill levels, because they're more flexible:
  • They allow an additional attack, or two with a fencing weapon, or lots if you also have Weapon Master.
  • You can use them to offset penalties, such as hit locations, darkness, and many other things.

Last edited by johndallman; 03-12-2024 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Spelling.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 04:43 PM   #5
Jelsa23

My weapon skill for my rapier is at like 22 right now, so not sure if I should up it more. My Judo is only 13 though, but I always forget to use anything even remotely related to it. Do you know of combos or attacks that could utilize both so I haven't just wasted skill points?
Old 03-09-2024, 05:29 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The most obvious reason it might be worthwhile is if the GM wants to avoid extremely high skill levels, but is willing to have you take Extra Attack.
Yeah, almost nothing is as point effective for combat as extra skill levels.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:57 PM   #7
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Extra Attack is worthwhile if you often want to combine two attacks *from different skills* in one turn.

If you want to do two sword things, or two grapple things, in one turn, using the same skill, EA is less optimal than +6 to skill (and a Perk!) which not only lets you do that with Rapid Strike, but lets you do it BETTER if you also have Weapon Master/TBaM or something else that halves RS penalties. The extra +6 to skill buys you +3 to Parry too.

But if you want to (say) grapple and stab, or shield bind or bash and weapon attack ... EA comes into its own then.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 07:28 PM   #8
Jelsa23

Thanks everyone for your input! It has given me a lot to thing about!
Old 03-09-2024, 08:52 PM   #9
tbone

Extra Attack is lovely for recreating the feel of other games that load high-level characters or monsters with free attacks. Or for use wherever it seems right.

But in practical use, I tend to like things with tradeoffs. Like the Rapid Strike-based extra attacks under Weapon Master or Trained by a Master: the traits make these attacks easier, but not free. Whether to use them, or stick with a single, better attack, remains a choice.

So along those lines: how about a version of Extra Attack that only makes added attacks easier? Essentially Extra Attack, but only halving appropriate penalties, like WM or TbaM. (Call it Semi-Extra Attack until there's a decent name.)

I think its features would be:
  • Like WM or TbaM, it'd halve the -6 penalty per attack for a Rapid Strike (or the greater penalties for 3+ Rapid Strikes).
  • It'd halve the -4 penalty per attack for a Dual-Weapon Attack.
  • Like Extra Attack (and unlike WM or TbaM), it'd apply to any sort of attack, armed or unarmed, melee or ranged.

Any other effects that should be considered? What would be a fair cost? (Maybe [15]?) And is this already addressed somewhere in books, Pyramid, or blogs?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 09:36 PM   #10
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Extra Attack is lovely for recreating the feel of other games that load high-level characters or monsters with free attacks.
It's also simpler to write on a monster/NPC style stat sheet, easier for the GM to remember and faster to use to resolve attacks at the table because you don't have to figure penalties.

If you want your big, scary, magically souped-up apex predator to be able to "claw, claw, bite" every turn, just write down Extra Attack 2.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extra attack, rapid strike, trained by a master, weapon master