Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Seizure versus Paralysis

I am curious about something, why is Paralysis more expensive than Seizure when it comes to Affliction? Someone who suffers Paralysis cannot take any physical action, but they remain conscious and are capable of using advantages that do not require speech or movement. Someone who suffers Seizure can do nothing and suffers 1d FP at the end of the episode. It would seem to me that Seizure is more of an affliction than Paralysis, but the former costs less than the latter. Why is that?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
edk926

Default Re: Seizure versus Paralysis

A seizure is a temporary thing. Paralysis can be a permanent thing.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I am curious about something, why is Paralysis more expensive than Seizure when it comes to Affliction? Someone who suffers Paralysis cannot take any physical action, but they remain conscious and are capable of using advantages that do not require speech or movement. Someone who suffers Seizure can do nothing and suffers 1d FP at the end of the episode. It would seem to me that Seizure is more of an affliction than Paralysis, but the former costs less than the latter. Why is that?
It appears to be a mistake.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:21 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
A seizure is a temporary thing. Paralysis can be a permanent thing.
Seizure lasts as long as the Affliction last (as does paralysis). With a permanent Affliction, you could have a permanent seizure.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:10 PM   #5
Varyon

If Seizure is measured in seconds, like Stunning, I could see it being worth less than Paralysis (which is measured in minutes), although they’d arguably be of comparable worth (Seizure ends sooner, but also does FP damage). If it’s also measured in minutes, it should certainly be worth more.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #6
AlexanderHowl

Seizure in an Incapacation, like Paralysis, so it lasts minutes rather than seconds.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:58 PM   #7
Nereidalbel

Seizures also end up making more noise and being very obvious, so they're not a good choice for stealthy incapacitation. Utility matters!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:39 AM   #8
Rupert

I wonder how Paralysis' text is supposed to interact with the intro text for incapacitating conditions, which has emphasis on all such conditions stunning you and preventing voluntary action.

Overall, even if that intro text still applies, Paralysis seems less awful than Seizure. Actually, it's less awful than Choking aside from Choking not affecting some beings (but Paralysis doesn't affect mental stuff, so...).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."

Last edited by Rupert; 09-03-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
Anthony

While we're at it, why is Choking (which will kill most characters before its duration ends) only +100%?
Old 09-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
Nereidalbel

Remember that Afflictions also have a mundane way to end them early. Unless somebody is alone, Choking is fairly simple to clear up. Seizures can be handled. Paralysis? That's most likely some sort of medical procedure that will take longer than the Affliction lasts. It also draws much less attention to the target, which is great for abduc...involuntarily recruiting them.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paralysis, seizure