Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #1
Daimyo_Shi
 
Daimyo_Shi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Default A Few Questions I have

Hey I am an old Car Wars fan, I think I started in 1986 anyways I been working on a Campaign that I likely never actually get to play but it sill fun working on it. As a result I have a couple questions from all over the map.

How much space does a Cyclist take? I looked in the Compendium and I can't find the rule at all. I think I remember them being 1 space but I can't find it, Likely because it under some heading or reference that doesn't refer to cyclist.

I also can't find the rules for Handling Class ceiling as at one time there was a HC ceiling of three, now Duel Track had race cars that had different rules so when the Compendium came out did they drop it all together?

In a more Lore question anyone know of a reason that they left Vancouver out of the reference to Canada? Most notably in the Atlas article in ADQ 2/4 where Vancouver isn't even on the Circuit for the Canada Tour. Even at the the time Car Wars came out Vancouver was the third largest city in Canada [I live in it suburbs at the time of Car Wars release and Heyday.

My old man brain has lost the others I post them if I remember them or re-encounter them.

Last edited by Daimyo_Shi; 06-19-2021 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added Question
Daimyo_Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:24 PM   #2
43Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: A Few Questions I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
How much space does a Cyclist take?
Two spaces, same as any other vehicle operator.

It is allowed for a cycle to have a 0-space passenger, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
I also can't find the rules for Handling Class ceiling as at one time there was a HC ceiling of three, now Duel Track had race cars that had different rules so when the Compendium came out did they drop it all together?
There is no more HC Cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
In a more Lore question anyone know of a reason that they left Vancouver out of the reference to Canada? Most notably in the Atlas article in ADQ 2/4 where Vancouver isn't even on the Circuit for the Canada Tour. Even at the the time Car Wars came out Vancouver was the third largest city in Canada [I live in it suburbs at the time of Car Wars release and Heyday.
No solid answer to that one, save "no one ever bothered to write it up". Much the same applies to Hawaii, Alaska, Russia, Europe in general, and such.
__________________
"Dale *who*?"

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:39 AM   #3
swordtart
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Default Re: A Few Questions I have

Vancouver gets a brief mention in GURPS Autoduel second edition as having a Gold Cross facility (which is better than it got in ADQ2-4). No other Canadian (or Quebecois) city gets more than that (Quebec City is only mentioned as the home of a former world champion).

Somebody from Vancouver once posted in ADQ&A, and Vancouver City Autoduel club is noted in the AADA News once, but that's all I could find.

It's not really surprising as a very small percentage of even US cities actually got any coverage at all. Other nations were lucky even to get a mention.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
Daimyo_Shi
 
Daimyo_Shi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Default Re: A Few Questions I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Two spaces, same as any other vehicle operator.

It is allowed for a cycle to have a 0-space passenger, however.
That is rough on cycles, I am not crazy it use to be one, right?
Daimyo_Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:06 AM   #5
swordtart
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Default Re: A Few Questions I have

Sorry. The earliest edition I own (3rd) shows the driver position for all vehicles is 2 spaces, ditto the gunner.

Passengers only take up a single space.

That said as the biker sits on and outside the bike (as he is exposed), you could house rule that only the control equipment element of a driver or gunner position (1 space) actually needs to be part of the bike. This is not how the rules are written, it is not even how there were intended, but it is not illogical either. This also corelates to the pillion passenger situation where the bike passenger takes up 1 space less than a normal vehicle passenger as they suffer the disadvantage of being exposed.

Trike crew will always take the full 2 spaces as they are not considered exposed.

Of course if you do this you need to consider the special rules for bike CA, cycle shells etc as these make assumptions about the rules existing as they are. Existing designs using this equipment might need to be altered if you decide to house rule this aspect. Bike not using this equipment would be fine anyway (other than gaining a little space they didn't previously have).

As long as everyone agrees you can interpret the rules how you like - lord knows ADQ editors did :)

Last edited by swordtart; 06-21-2021 at 01:16 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:25 AM   #6
Magesmiley
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Snohomish, WA
Default Re: A Few Questions I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo_Shi View Post
That is rough on cycles, I am not crazy it use to be one, right?
It has always been two for a cyclist/driver/gunner. 1 for passengers in cars and sidecars, 0 for a passenger on a cycle.

As to Vancouver's treatment... my assumption would be it was written by someone in the eastern provinces. They often forget that there is another coast with a fair number of inhabitants. Seattle often gets the same treatment in the U.S.

Also, if you're still in the Vancouver area, I run some well-attended Car Wars tournaments in Bellevue, WA at OrcaCon (January) and Dragonflight (usually August, October this year). Well attended = between 26-32 seats filled at the qualifier games plus an 8-player final).
__________________
Dynamax Designs, Designing quality since 2035.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:18 AM   #7
ckosacranoid
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Default Re: A Few Questions I have

As to Vancouver's treatment... my assumption would be it was written by someone in the eastern provinces. They often forget that there is another coast with a fair number of inhabitants. Seattle often gets the same treatment in the U.S.


Unless you are talking Shadowrun, then its all about Seattle and the area.
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #8
juris
 
juris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA
Default Re: A Few Questions I have

CW kinda revolved around TX for some reason ;)

TX has been turning into CW ever since

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post

It's not really surprising as a very small percentage of even US cities actually got any coverage at all. Other nations were lucky even to get a mention.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #9
43Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: A Few Questions I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
It has always been two for a cyclist/driver/gunner. 1 for passengers in cars and sidecars, 0 for a passenger on a cycle.
Confirmed, using my 1st-ed. Pocket Box. :)
__________________
"Dale *who*?"

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:53 PM   #10
Daimyo_Shi
 
Daimyo_Shi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Default Re: A Few Questions I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
It has always been two for a cyclist/driver/gunner. 1 for passengers in cars and sidecars, 0 for a passenger on a cycle.

As to Vancouver's treatment... my assumption would be it was written by someone in the eastern provinces. They often forget that there is another coast with a fair number of inhabitants. Seattle often gets the same treatment in the U.S.

Also, if you're still in the Vancouver area, I run some well-attended Car Wars tournaments in Bellevue, WA at OrcaCon (January) and Dragonflight (usually August, October this year). Well attended = between 26-32 seats filled at the qualifier games plus an 8-player final).
Actually I live in Calgary now, but I lived in Vancouver when Car Wars was in regular publishing. [It is my home town]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Confirmed, using my 1st-ed. Pocket Box. :)
Alright I am Crazy.

Anyone know when the first helicopter rules were put out?

Last edited by Daimyo_Shi; 06-21-2021 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Not wanting to have multiple posts
Daimyo_Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.