Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Power-Ups for RPM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Yeah, that'd be a possibility, though I'm unsure how to price it. You don't usually get a price reduction for energy reserve if it's restricted to only one power. It'd probably have to be the normal 3 cp/point.

I did forget to mention that you can also act as if you were a Ritual Adept with your Knack if you spend another 16 points.
One Ritual Only is definitely a -80% limitation. So Ritual Adept (Foo ritual only, -80%) would be a mere 8 points. A fantastic deal for a one-trick pony!

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
One Ritual Only is definitely a -80% limitation. So Ritual Adept (Foo ritual only, -80%) would be a mere 8 points. A fantastic deal for a one-trick pony!
True, though the Knack isn't for a single ritual only, it's a single effect. So any ritual that uses just Create Energy (for example) can be done with that Knack. Hence why I built it as a -60% limitation instead of -80%.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
True, though the Knack isn't for a single ritual only, it's a single effect. So any ritual that uses just Create Energy (for example) can be done with that Knack. Hence why I built it as a -60% limitation instead of -80%.
Ah-ha! I misread, apologies. Still totally worth it, that would be perfect for a Healer type actually. Restore Body effects and all. Yeah, I rather like that. So ER would cost 1.2/level which is a really great deal actually.

Become a Patron!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
Refplace

I think this goes here more then anywhere else.
I want a power up or idea for a race of trees that can gather and store a vast amount of energy. They do not need to do it fast.

Originally they had ER for the regular magic system and I am looking to make the change to RPM but want to keep the concept. Each tree is a central aspect of an elf village and they can gather energy from the earth and sun and store it for use by the village. I do not want them to be major casters, though I am ok with some being able to use magic. However they are primarily support for a village or Dryad. The concept can be extended to other things as well.
a high ER can still work but does anyone have other ideas?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #15
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I want a power up or idea for a race of trees that can gather and store a vast amount of energy. They do not need to do it fast.

Originally they had ER for the regular magic system and I am looking to make the change to RPM but want to keep the concept. Each tree is a central aspect of an elf village and they can gather energy from the earth and sun and store it for use by the village. I do not want them to be major casters, though I am ok with some being able to use magic. However they are primarily support for a village or Dryad. The concept can be extended to other things as well.
Firstly, that's a really cool idea. Consider it yoinked.

To answer your question, I must ask my own. How is the energy accessed? If the tree is the source but does not cast, I'd treat it simply as a power source that can be drawn on under certain conditions suitable to your setting. If only certain individuals among magic users can do it, it might be an energy reserve with an accessibility limitation. Otherwise, if the tree can cast magic and is a PC, then it does sound like gobs of slowly regenerating er. The only alternative would be Magery levels, but that would increase its skill cap and conditional ritual cap as well, which doesn't sound like what you've described.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
Langy

You could have the Tree able to gather energy, and only gather energy. Rather than build it up as a giant ER battery, build it as something like this:

RPM Battery - 10/level

Statistics: Magery (Assisting Others Only, -60%) [4/level] + Natural Caster (Assisting Others Only, -60%) [6/level]

Allow Natural Caster to be taken as many times as you'd like. You'd also probably want to buy Thaumatology and the nine path skills at 1 point and Natural Caster of 3, for a total cost of [22]. The tree would be able to cast spells at IQ-3, or collaborate with others in a spell as if they had the casting skill at IQ+RPM Battery Level.

Note that this is still pretty expensive, though.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #17
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Firstly, that's a really cool idea. Consider it yoinked.
Thank you and your welcome to it :)
The race can be PCs so I want a point cost for it. In the setting much of Magic comes from the sun and is absorbed by the earth and the trees are able to act as a middle stage and draw upon both sources.

Quote:
You could have the Tree able to gather energy, and only gather energy. Rather than build it up as a giant ER battery, build it as something like this:

RPM Battery - 10/level

Statistics: Magery (Assisting Others Only, -60%) [4/level] + Natural Caster (Assisting Others Only, -60%) [6/level]

Allow Natural Caster to be taken as many times as you'd like. You'd also probably want to buy Thaumatology and the nine path skills at 1 point and Natural Caster of 3, for a total cost of [22]. The tree would be able to cast spells at IQ-3, or collaborate with others in a spell as if they had the casting skill at IQ+RPM Battery Level.

Note that this is still pretty expensive, though.
Hmm, interesting. Though it means they can do this over and over again where before they could be exhausted for a bit. Also the Natural Caster Talent is too broad for my desires here. On the other hand it means the Tress can represent sources of Wisdom or Supernatural Calmness or something too.
This does make them better then other assistants, even other elves since even a young tree with only 1 level of RPM Battery can provide extra energy and not give the assistant hit penalty. Higher levels it gets even better and very quickly.

I am not too worried on the point cost though I want it manageable, especially since it helps others more then them.
The original version had an ER with CM (Dedicated Controls) so others could tap it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #18
Nosforontu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post

RPM now has rules for mana levels what about making the trees natural mana enhancers with a wide selective area? They would not precisely gather energy so much as concentrate it making it much easier for your village or Dryad gather energy in the area.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #19
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
RPM now has rules for mana levels what about making the trees natural mana enhancers with a wide selective area? They would not precisely gather energy so much as concentrate it making it much easier for your village or Dryad gather energy in the area.
I prefer this take on it, myself. If the idea is that the trees make it easier for the villagers to access and use energy, then it would be simpler to just make them radiate that energy as if they were a Place of Power.

Since "high mana" equates to POP+5, and enough Mana Enhancer to get there from normal mana is 100 points, it would be reasonable to revamp Mana Enhancer in an RPM-focused game to 20 points/level, maximum 5, with the level reflecting your POP bonus. This is all off the top of my head, though; please don't consider it stamped with official approval until I've had a chance to look at it when I'm more focused. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #20
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I prefer this take on it, myself. If the idea is that the trees make it easier for the villagers to access and use energy, then it would be simpler to just make them radiate that energy as if they were a Place of Power.

Since "high mana" equates to POP+5, and enough Mana Enhancer to get there from normal mana is 100 points, it would be reasonable to revamp Mana Enhancer in an RPM-focused game to 20 points/level, maximum 5, with the level reflecting your POP bonus. This is all off the top of my head, though; please don't consider it stamped with official approval until I've had a chance to look at it when I'm more focused. :)
FWIW, Boss, this is actually what I've done. It works more or less exactly as expected. I have a player who has it - it was in the original MS of that RPM document I showed you for Pyramid, but I took it out because the book wasn't out yet. I suppose I'll put it back in. :-)

Become a Patron!

Tags
ritual path magic, rpm