Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #1
Rick_Smith

Default Poll: What is your ideal fight size?

Hi everyone,
I was curious, what is your ideal for the best fight size?

How many characters (PCs + allied NPCs) on the player's size, and what number of enemies do they fight?

Do the players usually fight swarms of low level enemies, or gang up on a big boss with a couple allies?

Any fight stand out as an example of an ideal fight for TFT?

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
Buzzardo

Default Re: Poll: What is your ideal fight size?

I like three-on-three or three-on-one (where the 1 is usually a monster).

I find that three on a side lets players design characters with greater specialization, which makes the group think about how to cooperate more than a two-person team does. I am admittedly biased. Back in the day, I played with two other fellows, and we tackled monsters this way. Dragon!

This is why I'm such a strong advocate of a sheet of large monsters for the kickstarter. My favorite memories involve a team tackling a monster.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?

Last edited by Buzzardo; 08-04-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:25 PM   #3
JohnPaulB

When I run games for my friends, I run what I call Troop Movement games. They get 8 characters each. As Game Master I would run 8 to 20 figures. I run it as a miniatures game.

If I'm not running "Troop Movement games" then the players have two characters and I run whatever the encounter demands: one, five, ten figures. This is how I usually run Convention games too.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:20 AM   #4
Wayne

The one I run away from!
;)
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:49 AM   #5
Skarg

Variety is the spice of ... death.

There is no ideal fight size. The ideal fight size is however many people it makes sense are present and want to fight in the campaign situation.

Okay... one on one tends to be a bit limited in TFT. I've played TFT battles with hundreds of figures... spectacular, but a bit much even for me. It was also a bit much when the player party was questing around with about 20 figures at once.

I might say fights with at least 3 people on a side tend to be most interesting, although I remember several situations where two PCs (in campaigns, and in Grail Quest) fought many fights, usually with several foes, and it was quite fun.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:00 AM   #6
Rick_Smith

Hi all,
One time, not long after I had drawn Megahexes on my Chessex battle map, I ran this fight in a dwarven mine. There was a concentrator room (where ore was crushed, the rock removed, and the metal concentrated into much richer feed stock for the smelters).

This was a big industrial area. There were tumblers with giant cannon ball sized ball bearings for crushing rocks, big tanks of acid, big tanks with frothing chemicals to float rock dust away from the heavier metals, over head cranes, overhead rails for ore carts to move thru the area. Chemist's areas, water wheels to power all this equipment. Ore and water started up high, and gravity fed the various stuff into lower, deeper levels of the room.

Before people came over, I had drawn out all this stuff, the one room took up almost the whole map, and that map took up the entire table.

The PC's were dwarves plus one human merchant who was visiting. The enemy was a mass of orcs, which burst in from two tunnels on the middle levels. The PC's out numbered the orcs.. at first. The battle started easy, but there were about 20 exits from that room, and at first the orcs came from those two tunnels.

Then they started coming out of 2 more tunnels. Then they started coming in the exits down on the lower levels, and suddenly the PC's realized the whole fortress was being over run, and the fight was huge.

They scrambled for the high ground. Fights on ramps and stairs, and the PC's needed every advantage.

The PC's had archers in the crane overhead shooting down. The retreated orcs into pools of acid, in to frothing water (all the air bubbles prevents swimming), dropped orcs into the rock tumblers. (Boulders go in and gravel and orc paste comes out.) Orcs were pushed into the gears of the water wheel.

PC's had to save someone cut off on the other side of the room and they rolled over top of the fight in an ore cart while orc shaman fired Fireballs at the tracks. The orc wizards summoned gargoyles to kill the archers in the crane, and those bows do none too much damage against gargoyle skin.

The battle went on and on as more and more orcs pored into the room. The players blew up a tank of toxic chemicals and washed a huge mass of orcs down into the lowest level of the multi tiered room. Each PC ran a squad of a half dozen NPC assistants. If someone died, they took over one of their squad and kept fighting.

The fight lasted Friday night, Saturday and most of Sunday. Finally a mass of Dwarves came in, and the PC's (1/3 dead and everyone else horribly wounded) won. They talked about that fight for months.

There were 25 or so PC's and dwarves allies, (not counting the final Dwarves reinforcements which were the excuse to end the fight), and a bit over 140 orcs. (Plus a few trolls and 30 goblins or so.)

That fight taught me the joy of giant battles on interesting terrain.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 08-04-2018 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Fixed grammar.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:28 AM   #7
schoon

It depends.

For Melee / Wizard, I like 1v1 or 3v3.

For ITL, I like 4-6 hexes of figures on each side of an encounter.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:51 AM   #8
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
The fight lasted Friday night, Saturday and most of Sunday. Finally a mass of Dwarves came in, and the PC's (1/3 dead and everyone else horribly wounded) won. They talked about that fight for months.
That sounds like it was A LOT of fun! Another example of how a creative GM can improvise just about anything within the solid framework that is the TFT rules.

My favorite battles are usually 4 on 4, in an interesting environment. Though none quite so interesting as the Rick's. Yet... :)

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:35 AM   #9
RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
The fight lasted Friday night, Saturday and most of Sunday.
Epic!

I would say this has everything for an ideal battle:
1. A great threat that scares the players -- at some point, things look really bad!
2. An interesting tactical environment, eg obstacles, bottlenecks, but can be most anything
3. A chance for every player to shine/redeem/embarrass themselves
4. Enough players and enemy HP that the battle is extended. Immediately killing the giant with three successful pole rushes is fun but not an epic.
5. And the impossible to be certain of: Some incredible event/s, an inspired decision from a player to blow up the chemical vat, ignite the oil, a pole weapon user down to 8DX takes down someone, etc.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #10
JLV

I actually don't think there's any such thing as an "ideal" size. There's the "amazing" size, or the "epic" size, and sometimes just the "run-of-the-mill" size, but they're all sort of "ideal" if the fight is fun...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fight, formations, maneuver, number enemies, size of fight