Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #1
Scaresoul

Default How about Most enjoyed Advantage/ Disadvantage / Skill?

There's a most hated post, how about one that you'll remember lovingly forever and ever and ever, or at least that you'll tend to talk about a lot.

For me, I had a player take Cursed and at first I sneered at the choice. THEN it dawned on me, the sheer amount of fun I was going to have as a GM with this disadvantage was going to be amazing.

Examples of what was done to him.

A: The group is facing a sorcerer in a cavern of ice (Not terribly original I know, but oh well) The cursed character (A martial artist farmboy trained by a traveling master...and potential child molester..don't ask) leaps across a giant table in the center of the room to make his attack, he rolls, he fails, I giggle. He ends up slipping on the ground and smashing himself into the wall where he's promptly wasted by the sorcerer.

The rest of the group manages to dispach the baddy and the mage with healing manages to heal the wounds of the martial artist, only to have the swordsman of the group who was flourishing his blade all cocky like roll a crit fail on his dex...and slice the newly healed martial artist across the gut..and back to unconsciousness.

B: After a gauntlet of seriously angry undead..things..the group manages to get to a town with a local Gerties Apothecary Services (A sort of running gag in my fantasy settings, essentially a potion and alchemy shop) First one in is the Cursed Martial artist who wants some healing potions cuz he abused. The only thing the shop keep has is SLOG, a vile substance that heals all of 1 HP assuming you make the HT roll needed to keep the crap down and not throw it up all over the place. It's also expensive! He spends all he has on a case of the stuff and wanders to the corner to attempt to gag it all down.

His fellow travelers enter a moment later and ask for healing pots, only to have the shopkeep find a box of Elven sweet water, a super tasty and highly effective healing draught, that was no longer listed in the catalog, so was sold to them at extreeme discount prices!

C: The entire group is in a shipwreck and washes up on an island, everyones gear washes in with the tide...except for the cursed guys..whos pack inexplicably washes out to sea...against the tide.

D: The group is fighting a big ass Kraken on a ship (The one that got wrecked) because the ship is cursed due to the crew dumping bodies overboard and never delivering them to a graveyard on an island. The group manages to find the last bag o' remains and swallows some breathing underwater potions and secures themselves to the ship and jumps overboard to get the remains. Unfortunately they're attacked by angry pirahna like fish things, the martial artist manages to be the only really effective one in underwater combat so he stays down there and whups it up while the others go topside to fend off the Kraken.

The martial artist does AMAZINGLY well and even manages to get the bag of remains. he finally tugs on the rope securing him to the ship so that he can be hauled up...only to find that his rope came undone in the battle. The best part about this...was he Role played it so well, his reaction was to swear..but being underwater it sounded just like BLARGLEBLURBLE! And he RP'd it perfectly....and then poutily walked towards the island in the distance...where he would soon loose his pack...hehe.

Suffice it to say I had a GREAT time with cursed.
Scaresoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: How about Most enjoyed Advantage/ Disadvantage / Skill?

Daredevil, it's always fun to watch a player choose the most foolhardy and dangerous path available, EVERY TIME!
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

As a player:
  • Body Language is pretty much the fav skill, aside from the 'obligatory package' which may differ from campaign to campaign.
  • Judo for low-ST characters.
  • Photographic Memory - get rid of notes, and do neat tricks.
  • Morph (Improvised) - very cool to play.
  • Skinny. I like this 'build'.
  • High Pain Threshold. Nuff said.
  • Vibration Sense. One of the coolest low-key senses.
As a GM:
  • Destiny. Fun to play around, though it does require the PC to be present at most sessions to make sense of it.
  • High Pain Threshold for novice fighters. So that they don't worry about Shock.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
Jasonft

Weapon Master once I had time to build up the skills my ghostly ancestor was trying to teach me. Unfortunately if something is bad enough to take me out it will probably much the whole rest of the party at this point.

In any game where the GM lets me have it, I *love* Gadgeteer (especially SUPER Gadgeteer). Sadly, very few GMs will allow it these days. They know better.

Photographic memory is surprisingly useful. Especially if your character has a tendency to speed-read their way through any and every book of even remotely interesting knowledge given the chance. It's almost the mental equivalent of Gizmos.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
mikeejimbo

Speaking of Gizmo, that has to be my favorite Advantage.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
AmesJainchill

My group had a lot of fun with Gluttony one time.

Also, we have a little contest of kinds in my Star Wars game to have Delusions about what the Jedi or Force-users "really" were.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
Figleaf23
Banned

As player:

Advantage: Charisma +4
Disadvantage: Delusion (That I am cursed by the gods to die infamously)
Skill: Intimidation

As GM:

Advantage: Oracle
Disadvantage: Wierdness Magnet
Skill: Leadership
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Luck.

Need I say more?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
CBT

Innumerate

My character was the scout for a low tech, elite miltary unit. The other players figured it out after about the third time after they ran into what they saw as an ambush. To thier credit, they did try to detect lie on me first to see if I was a traitor.

Of course I knew I had this limitation and compensated where I felt the need. Ex. I counted my kills by making tally marks on my shoulder in the enemy's blood (looked like seargent stripes).

As for running my buds into an ambush, well I was also overconfident - so I figured they could pick up the few I missed.
CBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
Ego Archive

Player-
Impulsive & On the edge, funny enough I never get to play these characters for very long, but things keep moving while I am. ;)

As a GM- Secret, Cursed, and Weirdness Magnet all make me giggle inside.

[DF]One Shot - Crevan Brokenhand's Last Rest

Towndale: A user generated fantasy town for any game system.
Ego Archive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character creation, chargen