Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #1
Evil Roy Slade
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default What do you experience under the Enthrall spell?

So, I have reread the description many times and am still a little unclear. Yes, the caster casts it and for an hour, yes, the subject (assuming they fail their Will roll) thinks only a minute has passed while the caster is telling a story. Got it.

The casting time is one second (per M7). If the caster decides to do something else for that hour, do the subjects have a chance to notice? Could the caster rob them blind and leave them sitting in the clearing in the woods nodding and smiling appreciatively for an hour of objective time? If the subjects perceive the caster holding forth for a subjective minute, could the caster they perceive do more than just stand and talk (or act it out)? Could the caster walk around and among the group? Could the caster use a second spell on them (say, a Will Lock) while they are Enthralled? Would this count as them being aware that they are being circled?
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #2
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: What do you experience under the Enthrall spell?

The caster is caught up in the spell as well as the subjects, also perceiving that one minute going by in the hour the spell lasts. See the bit about subjects that resist the spell, giving you the objective view of what's going on from the point of view of people not involved in the spell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M139
Anyone who resists will perceive the caster and his victims as paralyzed, although prolonged examination will reveal they are moving, very slowly.
The caster isn't free to act; he's telling that minute-long story in super slo-mo to his subjects to keep them Enthralled. The spell could be used to tie up a group while the caster's comrades were robbing the crowd blind (for example). It's not much use to a solo mage-thief for that purpose. Might help the prison sentence go by more easily after he and his partners in crime get caught.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
Evil Roy Slade
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default Re: What do you experience under the Enthrall spell?

Right. So someone who resisted it could play havoc with the frozen subjects?
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:16 PM   #4
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: What do you experience under the Enthrall spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The spell could be used to tie up a group while the caster's comrades were robbing the crowd blind
Being attacked means automatically breaking free
Being "shaken" means getting 1 new resistance roll per second of being "disturbed"

Would be useful to mechanically define the differences between these two things a little better.

Like for example you technically "attack" to grapple someone, either by hand or by rope, no? To "shake" someone sounds like you're either using a Shove attack, or "Shoving People Around" after a grapple...

If you're in a daze, you probably can't perceive a lot of attacks (some attacks are surprise to begin with) so is that maybe a supernatural effect (the SPELL knows they're being attacked, and breaks them free) or would it actually require a Per roll by the enthralled to understand an attack is happening?

Some attacks may not even be normally perceptible, like if you get hit with some No Wounding attack w/ a Side Effect, or certain No Signature enhanced Afflictions.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:55 AM   #5
Pbuckley
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Default Re: What do you experience under the Enthrall spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Being attacked means automatically breaking free
Being "shaken" means getting 1 new resistance roll per second of being "disturbed"

Would be useful to mechanically define the differences between these two things a little better.

Like for example you technically "attack" to grapple someone, either by hand or by rope, no? To "shake" someone sounds like you're either using a Shove attack, or "Shoving People Around" after a grapple...

If you're in a daze, you probably can't perceive a lot of attacks (some attacks are surprise to begin with) so is that maybe a supernatural effect (the SPELL knows they're being attacked, and breaks them free) or would it actually require a Per roll by the enthralled to understand an attack is happening?

Some attacks may not even be normally perceptible, like if you get hit with some No Wounding attack w/ a Side Effect, or certain No Signature enhanced Afflictions.
My experience with effects like this would suggest that taking damage is what snaps you out of the effect. It's like a shock to your system. But maybe I need to read the spell again.
Pbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:08 AM   #6
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: What do you experience under the Enthrall spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Being attacked means automatically breaking free
Being pickpocketed isn't usually considered an attack.

With "being tied up", I intended the idiomatic meaning -- to be occupied or engaged with something that prevents you from doing something else (in this case noticing the band of merry thieves moving through the crowd, collecting valuables while the fagin holds the group Enthralled).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:56 AM   #7
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: What do you experience under the Enthrall spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbuckley View Post
My experience with effects like this would suggest that taking damage is what snaps you out of the effect. It's like a shock to your system. But maybe I need to read the spell again.
it doesn't mention injury, only attack. Doesn't even say the attack needs to hit.

I definitely like the idea of this being linked to shock (which I guess might be a bad thing for those with High Pain Threshold, good thing for Low Pain Threshold?)

sometime like for each -1 you would suffer maybe you get +5 or +10 to snap out of it? You could avoid rolling once that exceeds 15 per 'riding a bike' TDM
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enthrall, magic, mindcontrol, spell

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.