Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2020, 10:47 PM   #11
rkbrown419
 
rkbrown419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Orem, Utah, USA
Default Re: Total GURPS index

I've found for the books I have in PDF (which is most of them) I can use the Windows search function on the folder they're in. That will tell you which book to look in as long as you use the right search terms.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:25 AM   #12
Celjabba
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Luxembourg
Default Re: Total GURPS index

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
I've found for the books I have in PDF (which is most of them) I can use the Windows search function on the folder they're in. That will tell you which book to look in as long as you use the right search terms.
Acrobat multi pdf search work very well too, with links to open the Pdfs at the right spot.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:30 AM   #13
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: Total GURPS index

I use Agent Ransack, which lets you use regular expressions to search PDFs, but still provides an easy GUI.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
Polydamas
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central Europe
Default Re: Total GURPS index

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi2a View Post
AWhat I am suggesting is a official index of all official GURPS 4th edition products.
That would be a great fan project to organize, like Doug Cole organized GURPSDay, but fans have to organize it themselves like organizing to transcribe the archives of a favourite webcomic. If it is more unpaid work for SJ Games' Staff, especially an open-ended commitment to unpaid work (every new publication implies updating the wiki), its unlikely to happen.
__________________
"It is easier to banish a habit of thought than a piece of knowledge." H. Beam Piper
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #15
Ejidoth
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default Re: Total GURPS index

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
I've found for the books I have in PDF (which is most of them) I can use the Windows search function on the folder they're in. That will tell you which book to look in as long as you use the right search terms.
I did recently have a little frustration with doing that for Pyramid issues. I was trying to search to quickly see which Pyramid issues (of the ones that I have, anyway) had Spaceships stuff in them, but it just gave me a list of every Pyramid that David L. Pulver worked on, since it mentions the Spaceships series in his author note.

In fairness, that was probably just too broad a search.

Asking SJGames to make a giant total-GURPS-index seems impractical, though. Indexing something well is annoying, slow, generally expensive work, and I don't think they'd make much (or, really, any) of their time/money back for the effort.

Last edited by Ejidoth; 07-17-2020 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added a line at the end on the main topic
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #16
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Total GURPS index

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
I did recently have a little frustration with doing that for Pyramid issues. I was trying to search to quickly see which Pyramid issues (of the ones that I have, anyway) had Spaceships stuff in them, but it just gave me a list of every Pyramid that David L. Pulver worked on, since it mentions the Spaceships series in his author note.
The Wiki has a Pyramid index with most of the issues having a list of articles, some articles are listed by themselves but I havent worked on that in awhile and need to reset my password to get back in.
Here is the page for them.
https://gurps.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Pyramid_Vol_3
Let me know if its useful,nothing like knowing people use your work to inspire you to get back to it.
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 07-17-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #17
Taneli
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Default Re: Total GURPS index

It would be interesting to know how SJG would react to a fan-composed index of all GURPs books.

I mean, the material is already out there freely available as I believe that every single free GURPS pdf sample in WH23 includes the index of the pdf in question.
__________________
[/delurk]
AotA is of course IMHO, YMMV.
vincit qui se vincit
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #18
maximara
On Notice
 
maximara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sumter, SC
Default Re: Total GURPS index

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The Wiki has a Pyramid index with most of the issues having a list of articles, some articles are listed by themselves but I havent worked on that in awhile and need to reset my password to get back in.
Here is the page for them.
https://gurps.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Pyramid_Vol_3
Let me know if its useful,nothing like knowing people use your work to inspire you to get back to it.
About 86+ need additional information. (the working category). The site has gone from a host of 'x is on page y of book z' articles to where it is actually useful.
__________________
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links. Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:34 AM   #19
Pursuivant
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Default Re: Total GURPS index

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I use Agent Ransack, which lets you use regular expressions to search PDFs, but still provides an easy GUI.
Seconded. Agent Ransack has been far superior to standard Windoze search functions for over a decade.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:02 PM   #20
Pursuivant
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Default Re: Total GURPS index

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
It would be interesting to know how SJG would react to a fan-composed index of all GURPs books.
Based on my experience: With indifference, unless things have changed in the last decade.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.