Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Jerander

Default [Powers] ER w/ Affect Others (limited)?

Hi,

Based on the Improved Zombie template that Kromm published in an early issue of Pyramid (#5?), we have the following ability:
Energy Reserve (Area Effect 1, +50%; Affect Others 1, +50%) [6/level]
I'd like to modify the ability so the Energy Reserve can only be shared with one other, very specific, individual. My thought would be to put an Accessibility limitation on Affect Others, like so:
Energy Reserve (Area Effect 1, +50%; Affect Others 1 (Accessibility, Twin brother only, -50%), +25%) [5.25/level]
Does this build look legit? If so, did I price the Accessibility correctly, or should it give an even bigger discount?

Second question, what if the person *possessing* the ER cannot use it themself? What if only the specific person ("Twin brother") can access it? Could I do something like:
Energy Reserve (Area Effect 1, +50%; Affect Others 1 (Accessibility, Twin brother only, -50%), +25%; Others Only, -50%) [3.75/level]
Thank you,
Jerander.

Last edited by Jerander; 12-05-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [Powers] ER w/ Affect Others (limited)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Hi,

Based on the Improved Zombie template that Kromm published in an early issue of Pyramid (#5?), we have the following ability:
Energy Reserve (Area Effect 1, +50%; Affect Others 1, +50%) [6/level]
I'd like to modify the ability so the Energy Reserve can only be shared with one other, very specific, individual. My thought would be to put an Accessibility limitation on Affect Others, like so:
Energy Reserve (Area Effect 1, +50%; Affect Others 1 (Accessibility, Twin brother only, -50%), +25%) [5.25/level]
Does this build look legit? If so, did I price the Accessibility correctly, or should it give an even bigger discount?

Second question, what if the person *possessing* the ER cannot use it themself? What if only the specific person ("Twin brother") can access it? Could I do something like:
Energy Reserve (Area Effect 1, +50%; Affect Others 1 (Accessibility, Twin brother only, -50%), +25%; Others Only, -50%) [3.75/level]
Thank you,
Jerander.
One person only is -80% as evidenced by DF5's "Master only, -80%". I've used a version of Drains Familiar for the whole "empathic bond with another so we can share energy." It works better in the long run.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
One person only is -80% as evidenced by DF5's "Master only, -80%". I've used a version of Drains Familiar for the whole "empathic bond with another so we can share energy." It works better in the long run.
Could you elaborate on your version of Drains Familiar?

Thank you,
Jerander.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

I just use the DF5 guidelines - buy Energy Reserve (whatever) with the Drains Familiar/Person limitation (a -50% limitation) up to 2/3 the FP of the other party and be done with it. Whenever you tap the reserve they lose a equal number of points of FP.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
Walrus

Quote:
Second question, what if the person *possessing* the ER cannot use it themself? What if only the specific person ("Twin brother") can access it?
If "Twin brother" the only person that can access the ER, than it's brother's advantage, not yours. Even with flavour having you as a source, it's described as brother's limited ER.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
If "Twin brother" the only person that can access the ER, than it's brother's advantage, not yours. Even with flavour having you as a source, it's described as brother's limited ER.
Yeah, and in that case I would treat it like the provided by familiar limitation at -40%
Another variant I have used used is by the ER regularly but buy Compartmentalized Mind (Controls) to let others use your ER. This has the benefit of you not having to pay more for each point of energy.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
The Benj

Quote:
As described in the opening post, either you or your twin can access it, as the Accessibility is only on the Affects Others.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Jerander

Quote:
That makes sense. Thank you.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
Jerander

Seems there are a couple similar effects (assuming a familiar for now...):
1) On Familiar: Energy Reserve (Affect Others 1 (Master only, -80%), +10%; Area Effect 1, +50%) [4.8/level]
2) On Familiar: Energy Reserve [3/level]
On Master: Energy Reserve (Drains Familiar, -50%*) [1.5/level]
3) On Master: Energy Reserve (Granted by Familiar, -40%) [1.8/level]
* Does the value of the Drains Familiar limitation change when it drains and ER rather than FP?

The first two allow both the Master and Familiar to use the same ER. The third gives only the Master and ER for much cheaper.

The first costs more and gives a very specific -- and much smaller -- area, while the second costs less and gives a larger area.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
Walrus

Quote:
* Does the value of the Drains Familiar limitation change when it drains and ER rather than FP?
Usually, default is that ER and FP can be used equally, so draining only ER, not FP is a limitation, something like -5% or -10%.

Tags
energy reserve, twin brother only