Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-24-2004, 10:32 AM   #21
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.
Default Re: IN: Are you Christian?

In relation to this question, I have met many people that, due to their beliefs, religion, or race, wouldn't play certain types of characters.

I don't have much of a problem with that unless it's the type of thing where they only play ONE type of character no matter what game they're in.

Examples: Guy whose every rpg character is based on Shi (comic book samurai type chick) whether it was Shadowrun, GURPS, etc.
Jewish friend that wouldn't play Axis in Battlefield 1942 (PC game).
Wiccan friend that only plays hippies, environmentalists, and druids in every game.

Me, I try to play something different every time. I think the only type-casting I can be accused of, is I like to play Fighter-Mage types.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:25 AM   #22
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Was born and raised mormon, but have since gone my own way. I'm a militant agnostic with leanings towards frisbeetirian (it's as good a belief as anything else). Because of this view I tend to play characters that are also militan agnostic (aka "We don't have proof so we'll believe everything"). It can add some very interesting interactions with others.
MIB #1457
sjard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:21 AM   #23
milliken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredofScissors
Also found it odd that Deals with the Devil aren't really a big part of the setting. Even with Lilim Geases you get a Will roll to break out of it.
Actually, Infernal Soldiers probably come closest to the classical "deal with the Devil", rather than Lilim geases, though getting involved with the latter isn't such a good idea, either.

I expect a lot of the recruiting tactics for Infernal Soldiers revolve around "we give you the power to do what you want, and you help us. After you die, you get a cushy job in Hell, bossing the other humans." With all the obvious omissions and lies....

---Walter
milliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:25 AM   #24
EDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliken
Actually, Infernal Soldiers probably come closest to the classical "deal with the Devil", rather than Lilim geases, though getting involved with the latter isn't such a good idea, either.
Them and Sorcerers, yeah. :)
EDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:20 AM   #25
PWCroft

Nope, I don't believe in God, or free-will for that matter. The latter involves more philosophical elaboration than is probably relevant to this thread. I suppose my absence of faith allows me a broad comfort zone in terms of the style of In Nomine game I enjoy playing.

With that said, I like the idea of playing a game closer to the Catholic/OT flavor -- gothic cathedrals, Gregorian chant, Latin, etc. But not strictly, as In Nomine isn't strictly those things. For me, it's a colorful and rich mythology particularly familiar to our culture.

I'd like to bring the theme of 'doubt' into a game. Not doubt in Heaven, per se -- as that'd be a bit absurd given celestials -- but certainly reasonable doubt in God.
PWCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #26
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Yes, I am. Yes, there are certain things I prefer not to do in an IN game. At the same time, like KDLadage above, I also know the difference between the real world of my faith and the imaginary world of a game and am in no danger of confusing the two.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 08-24-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #27
zorg
Experimental Subject

I'm an ignostic at best. One of my players is Christian. None of this impacts on the game, or vice versa.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #28
Jason

(Would it be gauche to make a gag about this thread being ... resurrected?)

I was raised Catholic, and visited various Protestant churches later in life. I don't go to church anymore, but a liberal/progressive take on Christianity is still a part of what I believe. I'm personally less concerned with theological specifics like virgin birth or divinity of Christ, and more concerned with moral specifics on issues of forgiveness, guilt, and helping the needy.

The group I GM for is mostly agnostics and atheists, with one practicing Catholic. They're all equally happy playing angelic and demonic PCs alike. I'm not sure how much my beliefs color the way I run the game (versus how much I personally as a GM just don't like running games for outright villainous PCs). Now that I stop to think on it, though, I realize that even in campaigns where angels are "bad," I still work under the assumption that God is good...
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #29
tHEhERETIC

Thelemite--which means not a whole lot given the diversity among us. Even--especially--for a tiny religion there's a huge range of beliefs and practices. Raised Catholic so I'm familiar with IRL angels from there also, as well as having a passing knowledge of Latin. But Thelema means I think that on some level magick is real. Hugely impractical to be sure, but possible.

So it should surprise no one that I'm playing a sorcerer as a protagonist.

Angels and demons are potentially real and potentially just constructs of the human mind. There's a slight chance that reality is a construct of the human mind. All this means is that I'm careful about using certain names and about identifying too closely with any fictional character, especially ones like Michael who are written a little closer to IRL tradition. But as a Thelemite I tend to take the stance that supernatural beings are not to be worshipped, and it's an attitude I find myself playing when I'm playing an AA. Terribly imperfect beings.

The line between fiction and reality here is thinner for me, but I don't worry about it much.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #30
doramider7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jramsay View Post
My head hurts. You have merited a blog entry :P
I'm not Christian, although (as with most midwesterners, I suspect) I was raised in a nominally Christian household.

I try to keep my religious beliefs entirely separate from my gaming, but agnosticism is a hard one to keep from coloring one's perceptions.
doramider7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meta