Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #21
Extrarius

Default Re: Powers as spells; Bless Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The 200 hours per point is pretty much a standard though. 15 hours for a point is I think way too much[...]
I'm not sure I understand you - the 15 was the point cost for the ability.

This theoretical advantage gives you a "creation value point" you can spend up to every real-world hour or every in-game day. Treating it like luck, the recharge starts once you spend that special-purpose point (so one level never lets you have two points at once).

For the same 15 points, you could have a 15-point creation pool, which would allow to create a much larger value of stuff at once, but limits you in that you must 'revoke' the points from one creation to put them into another. Of course, with the pool, you can also spread the points between creations however you want, so you could have 15 1-point creations at time.

These two options sound comparable to me. Or, at the very least, the new advantage doesn't sound better.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #22
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius View Post
I'm not sure I understand you - the 15 was the point cost for the ability.

This theoretical advantage gives you a "creation value point" you can spend up to every real-world hour or every in-game day. Treating it like luck, the recharge starts once you spend that special-purpose point (so one level never lets you have two points at once).

For the same 15 points, you could have a 15-point creation pool, which would allow to create a much larger value of stuff at once, but limits you in that you must 'revoke' the points from one creation to put them into another.

These two options sound comparable to me.
Ah I did not understand you the first time.
hmm so for 15 points you can create $100 (10% campaign starting wealth) worth of stuff 1 an hour.
Or put that in a modern perspective and that is $2000 an hour at TL8
Of course if you use it like Luck that is 1 per game hour which is likely to be used less then once a day in many campaigns.
Hmm, interesting idea but I think too easily abused. It does have the advantage of being simple though.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #23
Lamech

Quote:
Well a system is what I would like but not sure I got yours.
If I make $1 an hour then 200 hours later I have $200 to put into the pool assuming I didn't spend it anywhere else.
At $800 I would get (or rather trade in) 1 CP I could put towards my stability pool or a wealth advantage.
Erm... close. When you got to 800$ you would have 800$ AND a CP to put towards an advantage.

Think of it like a normal job, but without the job roll. The difference is you get paid in creation pool money "$". The CP just comes from on the job training. You can even get a sort of independent income that instead of giving cash gives money that gets stored in the pool. Also I don't think I made it clear "money" in the pool is "spent" to stabilize creations. If you have 200$ in the creation pool you can stabilize 200$ worth of created material, and then have the creation pool go down by 200$.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #24
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Erm... close. When you got to 800$ you would have 800$ AND a CP to put towards an advantage.

Think of it like a normal job, but without the job roll. The difference is you get paid in creation pool money "$". The CP just comes from on the job training. You can even get a sort of independent income that instead of giving cash gives money that gets stored in the pool. Also I don't think I made it clear "money" in the pool is "spent" to stabilize creations. If you have 200$ in the creation pool you can stabilize 200$ worth of created material, and then have the creation pool go down by 200$.
Ah ok that works better for me. And actually might even be simpler.
A point is required to stabilize amount valued at 10% starting wealth for the campaign. Not based on your wealth either.
Since the purpose the stability pool is to counter using it to get rich if you spend that much money to stabilize it your not making money off the value of the object. Only the value of your service.
So pay for that sacrificial oxen that Bruno suggested and some other stuff and your good to go. Nice and clean. In fact that is so simple that it can be written into the spell as "material components"
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #25
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Ah I did not understand you the first time.
hmm so for 15 points you can create $100 (10% campaign starting wealth) worth of stuff 1 an hour.
Or put that in a modern perspective and that is $2000 an hour at TL8
Of course if you use it like Luck that is 1 per game hour which is likely to be used less then once a day in many campaigns.
Hmm, interesting idea but I think too easily abused. It does have the advantage of being simple though.
I think basing any Creation limit on metagame time is a very bad idea. For instance, how does that work if an off-screen NPC has a Creation ability?

There's also the more general problem of the in-word perspective.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #26
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I think basing any Creation limit on metagame time is a very bad idea. For instance, how does that work if an off-screen NPC has a Creation ability?

There's also the more general problem of the in-word perspective.
Game Time is a +0% enhancement (Powers pg.108) which switches these times from metagame to in-game. For a power with one use per real-time hour, this becomes once per in-game day.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers as spells