Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-03-2019, 06:58 AM   #341
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

"There is only the one door in and out"

Olive presses further, does some research, and finds the following:

There are six ways in and out of the room, though you only end up in four places. The normal door works of course. Each pod opens into the pod next to it in case of a fire. This is hard to trigger, as the place isn't very flammable, but it has happened. This makes for two exits on each side, but they open into adjacent pod rooms. The food and laundry elevator can be expanded with the right tool to get into the cargo and transportation area below. Expanding the elevator without permission is considered evidence of criminal activity, kind of like breaking a store window.

The vents are far too shallow to move through. The ceiling is part of the ship exterior, as is the wall behind the food dispenser.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #342
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Each pod opens into the pod next to it in case of a fire. This is hard to trigger, as the place isn't very flammable
Expanding the elevator without permission is considered evidence of criminal activity, kind of like breaking a store window.
I'm guessing the same applies to hacking the pods to simulate there being a fire when there isn't? Or maybe that's a lesser criminal charge since it involves software alteration rather than hardware alteration?

Olive will probably try and figure out how feasible it is to hack (if she understands electronics it all) to emulate a fire, or else figure out if there's anything flammable in the room.

As for the shaft, I guess whether or not she has the tools to widen it in an emergency, and how long that might take.

If she doesn't have a lighter / chainsaw or similar, she'll ask hero about what various things (guessing no Trek-lite replicators) she might be able to order to her room, by making general inquiries about skill-training / craft hobbies.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:14 PM   #343
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I'm guessing the same applies to hacking the pods to simulate there being a fire when there isn't? Or maybe that's a lesser criminal charge since it involves software alteration rather than hardware alteration?
False fire alarms are a great way to get into trouble anytime between Ancient Nineveh and Turn of the Century New York. People don't like fake arson (and yes, Century New York and ancient Nineveh are the examples that come to her. But they're never really big criminal charges unless they're coupled with something else.

Quote:
Olive will probably try and figure out how feasible it is to hack (if she understands electronics it all) to emulate a fire, or else figure out if there's anything flammable in the room.
The bed is only moderately flammable, as are her clothes. The rest of the room is surprisingly resistant to burning. She can order food that burns, as well as clothing. She'll need a solid spark to get things going, but breaking electronics can often supply that. Her mind dwells for a while about this ship being the opposite of human history: so many easy sparks to light fires but so little that actually burns.

Olive doesn't know how to hack. That's a job for .... She can't think of her name, but she got a face associated with who-ever's job it is to do the hacking. She's a large dark Hispanic woman who' older than Olive but would be positively young aboard the Darwin...

She is finding evidence that neighbors that get along (usually youth) sometimes take the right panels out and get a small passage between the them.

Quote:
As for the shaft, I guess whether or not she has the tools to widen it in an emergency, and how long that might take.

If she doesn't have a lighter / chainsaw or similar, she'll ask hero about what various things (guessing no Trek-lite replicators) she might be able to order to her room, by making general inquiries about skill-training / craft hobbies.
Opening up the shaft is usually done with the equivalent of screw-driver and wrenches, not power saws. When she investigates, she finds they do have "replicators" of sorts in the form of robust 3d-printing technology. She'll have a tricky time getting approval to print stuff for her use though: her status is that of a disabled stow-away under threat of attack.

Power-saws will work for using any of the "illicit" entries, but they will be noisy. As an estimate, it will take from 20 seconds to 5 minutes to open a passage up, given a solid plan of what exactly to cut and move. A similar time applies to unbolting things, though that will make a lot less noise.

She can dig deeper on these topics, but she's aware they're probably tracking her search history. How careful about concealing her interest does she want to be?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 12-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #344
Plane

Ah, but what if you were just faking the fire alarm for just that pod, but could jam it so the alarm didn't go through to the rest of the ship? This possibility sounds like it's beyond her purview though...

She will subtly keep track of burnable things and keep them within reach of one of the pods, and try to figure out what wires she could safely pull to create a spark, if need be.

But figuring out how drastic that is (and not knowing how to jam a fire alarm to prevent shipwide panic) that's going to be kept as Plan B in an emergency, Plan A is she will practice opening a passage to neighboring cells, so that she can do so more quickly (maybe leave it loose, if that isn't too obvious).

She's going to want to be pretty careful about concealing her interest, perhaps think of some kind of innocent hobby to search for that might involve wrenches or screwdrivers. Like maybe furniture building... yeah she'll look into tables / shelves and maybe things to put on them, like potted plants.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #345
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Ah, but what if you were just faking the fire alarm for just that pod, but could jam it so the alarm didn't go through to the rest of the ship? This possibility sounds like it's beyond her purview though...
It is. especially with this unfamiliar computer technology

Quote:
She will subtly keep track of burnable things and keep them within reach of one of the pods, and try to figure out what wires she could safely pull to create a spark, if need be.
The wires will be easy to find. Burnable things are harder, and she's not quite sure which things are actually properly flammable. But she is collecting good candidates. She's starting with selected food items.

She figures she should be able to light the fire, though it will take a while.

Quote:
Plan A is she will practice opening a passage to neighboring cells, so that she can do so more quickly (maybe leave it loose, if that isn't too obvious).

She's going to want to be pretty careful about concealing her interest, perhaps think of some kind of innocent hobby to search for that might involve wrenches or screwdrivers. Like maybe furniture building... yeah she'll look into tables / shelves and maybe things to put on them, like potted plants.
Olive requests information on building furniture, and finds some. Then she requests the requisite tools and parts. The computer informs her the area she is in isn't safe for nor large enough for proper wood work, and that she should seek out an appropriate work-space. Searching for a workspace, she finds that she doesn't have permission for any of them on the Darwin (and they're all dedicated for employment, not hobby-work). The computer then helpfully suggests she could practice the hobby in a virtual room.

Of course she can't actually practice the hobby in a virtual room, because she doesn't have an ANI. but looking at the corners of the screens she's using, she realizes THOSE have parts she can request tools for.

Will she immediately request those tools, and will she immediately set about opening up a panel?

Old 12-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #346
Plane

Quote:
The computer then helpfully suggests she could practice the hobby in a virtual room.

Of course she can't actually practice the hobby in a virtual room, because she doesn't have an ANI.
I'm getting kinda confused, wasn't I in a virtual meeting room earlier with Yuria when I was "hit" by the imaginary chair?

I'm thinking maybe the difference was that that was a visual-only room (ie why I couldn't be hit) but to practice tactile skills like woodworking requires cybernetic brain implant to mimic physical sensations?

Quote:
looking at the corners of the screens she's using, she realizes THOSE have parts she can request tools for.

Will she immediately request those tools, and will she immediately set about opening up a panel?
She doesn't want to seem overly specific, so if possible she'll request to take some courses on general mechanic practice, under the pretense of maybe being more useful to the ship for maintenance.

This is a genuine desire too, especially as she figures with her size, she might be able to wiggle into small crevices to do repairs which might be hard for a full-sized man to accomplish.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #347
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I'm getting kinda confused, wasn't I in a virtual meeting room earlier with Yuria when I was "hit" by the imaginary chair?

I'm thinking maybe the difference was that that was a visual-only room (ie why I couldn't be hit) but to practice tactile skills like woodworking requires cybernetic brain implant to mimic physical sensations?
Yes, Everyone else has a cybernetic brain implant (the ANI) that allows them to see, hear, touch, smell, and taste virtual worlds as though they were completely in them. Olive is using a room of screens, and lacks the tactile feedback necessary.

She can certainly get access to general mechanic courses. A lot of them. She quickly realized that most of the mechanic work here is done remotely with little robot drones. She's able to steer and direct them quite quickly, and becomes comfortable directing them to do all sorts of things. The hard part is knowing what needs to be done, and she can spend plenty of time studying that. She finds herself drawn to floorplans, and she grasps the location of odd-subsystem maps pretty quickly. Something about floorplans is familiar.

Of course, that won't give her access to the tools she wants. After some searching, she comes across a sub field that will give her some hands on tools... integrated circuit maintenance.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #348
Plane

Enjoying the freedom that the drone-flying gives (with less risk to self) she is going to try out the Circuit Maintenance course to I guess learn how to repair drones if she accidentally flies one into a door?
Old 12-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #349
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Olive starts taking the course. Its hard studying, but she'll be able to get the parts she needs to practice within a few hours.

She receives no more requests for people to come in or to talk with her.

How late will she stay up studying/figuring out how to dismantle things.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:01 AM   #350
Plane

Just until she gets bored or tired, knows she won't learn well if not present and engaged.