Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-13-2021, 06:50 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default [Sorcery] Michael's daily sorcerous spells thread

I know I'm not the first person to think of this, but I haven't been personally satisfied with the Magic-to-Sorcery conversions I've seen thus far. So I've decided so start a thread where I'll post one or more sorcerous spells every day—or such is my ambition. I'm going to start with the Air college; I don't know if I'll go alphabetically from there (Animal, Body Control), or prioritize the other elemental colleges (Earth, Fire, and Water). Occasionally, I'll post notes on why I built a given spell the way I did. Very much interested in feedback on the nitty-gritty of the trickier builds. When a canonical version of a spell already exists, I'll simply provide a pointer to the existing spell.
Index
Air Spells
Air Jet
Air Vision
Air Vortex

Atmosphere Dome
Ball of Lightning
Body of Air
Body of Lightning
Body of Wind

Chain Lightning
Cloud
Cloud of Doom
Clouds
Concussion
Control Air Elemental

Cool
Create Air

Destroy Air
Devitalize Air
Diver's Blessing
Earth to Air
Embolism
Essential Air
Explosive Lightning
Falling Sky
Grave Grounding
Improved Concussion
Improved Explosive Lightning

Jolt
Lethal Lightning
Lightning
Lightning Armor

Lightning Missiles
Lightning Stare
Lightning Weapon

Mighty Breath
No-Smell
Odor

Predict Weather
Purify Air

Rain
Resist Lightning
Sandstorm

Seek Air
Shape Air
Shocking Touch
Spark Cloud
Spark Storm
Steal Breath
Stench
Stinkguard
Storm
Storm Shelter
Summon Air Elemental
Twisting Terror
Walk on Air
Wall of Lightning
Wall of Wind
Warm
Wind
Animal Spells
Abominable Alteration
Animal Control
Beast Rouser
Beast Seeker
Beast Soother
Beast Speech
Beast Summoning
Call
Creeping Plague
Great Shapeshift
Groom

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 07-23-2021 at 12:23 PM.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [Sorcery] Michael's daily sorcerous spells thread

Index (cont)
[reserved]
Old 05-13-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
Michael Thayne

Going alphabetically, it happens that the first three spells in the Air college include one spell covered in GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery, and two slightly tricky ones with no canonical conversion. For Air Vision, I decided that because canonically empty space between pieces of material doesn't count against the range of Penetrating Vision, a single level of Penetrating Vision would be enough to see through any sort of fog, storm, etc. for most purposes. For purposes of afflicting Body of Air, I considered arguments for "subjects' ST becomes 0 regardless of initial ST score" being priced as everything from a +0% feature to a +300% game-breaking cosmic enhancement, but settled on +100% as a compromise (I might post more detailed reasoning if people are curious).

Air Jet
See GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery, pp. 12-13.

Air Vision
Keywords: Buff.
Full Cost: 19 points.
Casting Roll: None. Use Innate Attack (Gaze) to aim.
Range: 100 yards.
Duration: 30 minutes.

The subject can see clearly through any sort of atmosphere, including atmosphere containing noxious gasses, fog, dust, etc. This applies to any gas as well as any material in the form of very fine particles or droplets suspended in air. For example, the subject could see through a sandstorm, but not a sand dune or a flying chunk of sandstone.

For most purposes, the distance the subject can see using this spell is effectively unlimited. However, the subject would not be able to see all the way to the sky through local clouds sufficient to produce six inches or more of rain.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Air Vision, +30%; Extended Duration, 10×, +40%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased 1/2D, 10×, +15%; No Signature, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [19]. Notes: "Air Vision" is Penetrating Vision 1 (Vision-blocking atmospheric components, -60%; Magical, -10%) [3].

Air Vortex
Keywords: Area (Leveled), Resisted (HT).
Full Cost: 162 points for level 1 + 30 points/level.
Casting Roll: Will.
Range: Unlimited.
Duration: Concentration, up to 9 minutes.

If the sorcerer's casting roll succeeds, not the margin of success. Each person in the area can either choose to resist with HT, or allow themselves to be caught up in the vortex. Those who choose to resist are only affected if they lose the quick contest.

Everyone affected gains the Body of Air meta-trait (Basic Set, p. 262) and is swept up in a giant swirling vortex of air. The sorcerer controls the movement of all subjects in the vortex, and can move them at up to 10 yards per second, but at no point can any two subjects be more than 2 × (spell radius) yards apart.

This is also a Movement spell.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Body of Air, +470%; Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Cosmic, subjects' ST becomes 0 regardless of initial ST score, +100%; Extended Duration, 3×, +20%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Link, +10%; Malediction 2, +150%; No Signature, +20%; Requires Concentration, -15%; Sorcery, -15%) [89] + Telekinesis 10 (Accessibility, only those affected by the linked Affliction, -50%; Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Increased Range, LOS, +70%; Link, +10%; Sorcery, -15%; Visible, -20%) [73]. Further levels add Area Effect (+50%) to Affliction [+5/level] and Telekinesis [+25/level]. Notes: "Body of Air" is Alternate Form (Body of Air; Can Carry Objects, No Encumbrance, +10%; Magical, -10%) [47]. If turned into a "usually on" magical item (Sorcery, pp. 27-28), the wearer can shift at will but it takes 10 seconds to do so.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 07-06-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:03 PM   #4
lvalero

Air Vortex.

In order to overcome the problem of affecting ANY strength you could price an arbitrary high strength from X to zero (25 ST seems high enough for fantasy playable races for example) and add the following feature to the spell.

+0% Feature: This is an all-or-nothing spell. If target ST is greater than 25 this spell has not effect in him.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvalero View Post
Air Vortex.

In order to overcome the problem of affecting ANY strength you could price an arbitrary high strength from X to zero (25 ST seems high enough for fantasy playable races for example) and add the following feature to the spell.

+0% Feature: This is an all-or-nothing spell. If target ST is greater than 25 this spell has not effect in him.
That's not actually the issue—Since Alternate Form costs a flat 15 points if the value of the form is equal to or less than your native form, you can use Affliction to grant arbitrarily negative-value racial templates as a mere +150% modifier. The issue is that AFAICT Alternate Form (Body of Air) costs more if your ST is lower, so arguably Affliction (Alternate Form, Body of Air) should cost more if a low-ST sorcerer is using it to self-buff, or to buff low-ST allies. Part of how I got the +100% price is ask who the lowest ST PC likely to show up in practice is, and the answer I came up with is "an ST 8 halfling thief". So roughly half the price of ST +2 seemed right.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:25 PM   #6
Michael Thayne

Today's spell is a fairly complicated build, but once I tracked down all the pieces, the relevant rules weren't at all ambiguous.
Ball of Lightning
Keywords: Area (Fixed), Missile, Obvious.
Full Cost: 19 points/level.
Casting Roll: None. Use Innate Attack (Projectile) to hit.
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 seconds. At the end of this period the spell detonates, which is instantaneous.

You create a ball of lightning which travels at up to 10 yards per second. If you want the spell to travel more than 10 yards in total, you must take a Concentrate maneuver each second to guide it. When you stop concentrating, make an attack roll with no range penalty and at +4 for targeting an area. Anyone within 4 yards of the point of detonation takes 1d burning surge damage per level.

Metallic armor counts as DR 1 against this attack, but nonmetallic armor protects normally. Unlike a normal missile spell, there is no reduction in damage for exceeding the 1/2D range. Targets stuck by this attack must make an HT roll, at -1 per 2 points of penetrating damage, or be physically stunned. On subsequent turns, they can roll HT to recover. Lightning behaves unpredictably around conductors; see Lightning (GURPS Magic, p. 196) for more details.

This is also a Weather spell.

Statistics: Burning Attack 1d (Area Effect, 4 yards, +100%; Guided, +50%; Nuisance Effect, Behaves erratically around conductors, -5%; Sorcery, -15%; Surge, Arcing, +100%; Side Effect, Stunning, +50%) [19].
Old 05-15-2021, 09:36 PM   #7
Michael Thayne

Today I decided to post a group of three spells that all follow the my Air Vortex build in using Cosmic, +100% to handle Afflicting meta-traits that include Taboo Trait (ST 0). Also, the handling of Body of Wind was inspired by the canonical Grease build.
Body of Air
Full Cost: 71 points.

The subject gains the Body of Air meta-trait (Basic Set, p. 262). Clothing and gear weighing no more than their pre-transformation BL change with them. They cannot shift back on their own; they must wait for the spell to expire or be dispelled. (This does not change if the sorcerer is the subject.)

Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Body of Air, +470%; Cosmic, subjects' ST becomes 0 regardless of initial ST score, +100%; Extended Duration, 10×, +40%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased 1/2D, 10×, +15%; No Signature, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [71]. Notes: "Body of Air" is Alternate Form (Body of Air; Can Carry Objects, No Encumbrance, +10%; Magical, -10%) [47]. If turned into a "usually on" magical item (Sorcery, pp. 27-28), the wearer can shift at will but it takes 10 seconds to do so.

Body of Lightning
Full Cost: 94 points.

The subject gains the Body of Lightning meta-trait; see the footnote below for details. Note that unlike the version of Body of Lightning in GURPS Magic, this version's aura has the surge modifier and treats all metallic armor as DR 1. Clothing and gear weighing no more than the subject's pre-transformation BL change with them. They cannot shift back on their own; they must wait for the spell to expire or be dispelled. (This does not change if the sorcerer is the subject.)

Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Body of Lightning, +700%; Cosmic, subjects' ST becomes 0 regardless of initial ST score, +100%; Extended Duration, 10×, +40%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased 1/2D, 10×, +15%; No Signature, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [94]. Notes: "Body of Lightning" is Alternate Form (Body of Lightning*; Can Carry Objects, No Encumbrance, +10%; Magical, -10%) [70]. If turned into a "usually on" magical item (Sorcery, pp. 27-28), the wearer can shift at will but it takes 10 seconds to do so.

* A meta-trait from p. 165 of GURPS Magic: ST 0 [-100]; HP +10 [20]; Burning Attack 1d (Always On, -40%; Aura, +80%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Surge, Arcing, +100%) [11]; Doesn’t Breathe [20]; DR 10 (Limited: Electricity, -40%) [30]; Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30]; Injury Tolerance (Diffuse) [100]; No Manipulators [-50]; Feature (Affected by Energy Spells (p. 178) [0]; and Taboo Trait (Fixed ST) [0]. 61 points.

Body of Wind
Full Cost: 354 points.

The subject gains the Body of Wind meta-trait; see the footnote below for details. Clothing and gear weighing no more than their BL change with him. They cannot shift back on their own; they must wait for the spell to expire or be dispelled. (This does not change if the sorcerer is the subject.)

The Body of Wind meta-trait includes a windstorm effect in a two-yard radius around the subject. Any DX-based skill checks made inside the windstorm, and any ranged attacks passing through the area, are at -5. Anyone within must also make an ST check each second or be knocked over by the wind. The subject of the spell is affected by the ranged attack penalty, but not the other effects.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Body of Wind, +3,400%; Extended Duration, 10×, +40%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased 1/2D, 10×, +15%; No Signature, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [354]. Notes: "Body of Wind" is Alternate Form (Body of Wind*; Can Carry Objects, No Encumbrance, +10%; Magical, -10%) [340]. If turned into a "usually on" magical item (Sorcery, pp. 27-28), the wearer can shift at will but it takes 10 seconds to do so.

* A meta-trait comprising Body of Air [36]; Control Air 2 (Accessibility, only to create a windstorm, -30%; Aura, +80%; Always On, -20%; Cosmic, No die roll required, +100; Magical, -10%; Nuisance Effect, no penalty to ST rolls to remain standing, -5%) [86]; Control Air 3 (Accessibility, only to create a windstorm, -30%; Aura, +80%; Always On, -20%; Cosmic, No die roll required, +100; Does not increase area of effect, -50%; Magical, -10%; Nuisance Effect, no penalty to ST rolls to remain standing, -5%) [99]; No Manipulators becomes No Fine Manipulators [20]; No ST 0 [100]; No Taboo Trait [0]; No Vulnerability [20]. 361 points.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 07-06-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #8
Michael Thayne

Today's entries are Breathe Air and Breathe Water. I made the former slightly cheaper than the latter, but only slightly. Even in a world with no sapient water-breathers, Breath Air would remain useful for a sorcerer whose job involves working with aquatic animals.
Breathe Air
Full Cost: 27 points.
Duration: 15 hours.

The subject gains the ability to breathe air as if it were water, while retaining the ability to breathe water. The spell has no effect on creatures that can't breathe water.

This is also an Air spell.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Accessibility, Only on water-breathers, -30%; Breathe Air, +80%; Extended Duration, 300×, +100%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased 1/2D, 10×, +15%; No Signature, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [27]. Breathe Air is Doesn’t Breathe (Gills, -50%; Magic, -10%) [8].

Breathe Water
Full Cost: 29 points.
Duration: 15 hours.

The subject gains the ability to breathe water as if it were air, while retaining the ability to breathe ordinary air. The spell has no effect on creatures that can't breathe air.

This is also a Water spell.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Accessibility, Only on air-breathers, -10%; Breathe Water, +80%; Extended Duration, 300×, +100%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased 1/2D, 10×, +15%; No Signature, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [28]. Breathe Water is Doesn’t Breathe (Gills, -50%; Magic, -10%) [8].
Old 05-17-2021, 09:21 PM   #9
Michael Thayne

Here's another build where I had to get creative with my use of Cosmic:
Chain Lightning
Keywords: Missile, Obvious.
Full Cost: 16.5 points/level*.
Casting Roll: None. Use Innate Attack (Beam) to hit.
Duration: Instantaneous.

You fire a bolt of electricity that can strike multiple targets by bouncing from one to another. Before making your attack roll, designate up to ten targets. You must be able to see each target, detect it using another targeting sense, or know for sure where it is. The GM should require a Sense roll if there’s any doubt as to whether you can see a given target, at -2 per camera, mirror, telepathic relay, or other "remove."

Specify the order in which they will be attacked. The total path of the attack cannot exceed 100 yards, and range penalties are based on the total path length. If spotting any target required a Sense roll at a penalty, that penalty applies to the attack roll, too. If Sense rolls were required for multiple targets, apply only the worst penalty. Reduced damage for exceeding the 1/2D range applies once the attack has travelled beyond that distance—for example, if the first target is 10 yards away from you, only that first target takes full damage, regardless of the distance between you and the other targets.

If your attack roll succeeds, you hit the first target, plus an additional target equal to half your margin of success (round down), attacked in the order you specified. Base damage is 1d burning surge damage per level. After the first target, each subsequent target takes a cumulative -1 to its active defenses, but also takes 10% less damage (for example, the third target is at -2 to active defenses but takes 20% less damage). If any target makes a successful active defense, the attack misses all subsequent targets.

Metallic armor counts as DR 1 against this attack, but nonmetallic armor protects normally. Targets stuck by this attack must make an HT roll, at -1 per 2 points of penetrating damage, or be physically stunned. On subsequent turns, they can roll HT to recover. Lightning behaves unpredictably around conductors; see Lightning (GURPS Magic, p. 196) for more details.

The rules for Chain Lightning replace the optional rules for ricocheting attacks (Powers, pp. 166-167). Thus, the ricochet rules cannot be used with Chain Lightning, even if the GM allows them to be used with other spells.

Statistics: Burning Attack 1d (Cosmic, destructive ricochet, +100%; Nuisance Effect, Behaves erratically around conductors, -5%; Sorcery, -15%; Surge, Arcing, +100%; Side Effect, Stunning, +50%) [16.5/level]. Notes: This spell originally appeared in GURPS Magic: Artillery Spells, p. 29.
* Calculate the total cost and then round up.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:34 PM   #10
Michael Thayne

Cloud
Keywords: Resisted (HT).
Full Cost: 28 points.
Casting Roll: Will.
Range: Unlimited.

A miniature cloud coalesces a few inches above the subject and follows them around. This doesn’t do anything (rain, shoot lightning, etc.), but it’s a useful way to mark someone: +1 to Vision rolls to notice them and -1 to their Stealth. It’s also annoying.

This is also a Water spell and a Weather spell.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (Disadvantage, Cloud, +1%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Increased Duration, 10×, +40%; Malediction 2, +100%; No Signature, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [28]. Notes: This spell originally appeared in GURPS Magic: The Least of Spells, p. 17.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 07-06-2021 at 09:21 PM.