Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2019, 01:48 AM   #21
Aldric

Default Re: Help with building a summonable "slime chimera"

I think modular abilities with chip slots already has some kind of built in accessibility, or gadget limitation.

But an accessibility "traits possessed by slimes in the payload space" could be evaluated
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #22
Biscuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
I think modular abilities with chip slots already has some kind of built in accessibility, or gadget limitation.

But an accessibility "traits possessed by slimes in the payload space" could be evaluated
And how much would that cost? I can set the cost base to 5 + 3/CP per slot +50% [physical only]. Then how much that limitation would be worth? Some level of trait-limited (10, 20, 30, 40, 50%) from powers?

Last edited by Biscuri; 12-06-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Biscuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #23
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Ah, okay - definitely sounding like the Thing then. Just can't remember what book has the off label version of it...
Sounds like you are thinking of the Metamorphic Invader GURPS Horror p85.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #24
Biscuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
That reverts only at death part is the piece I needed to complete the basic slimes, thanks.

Now only the issue left is how to give the basic slime's abilities to the chimera.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #25
AlexanderHowl

I would have it as Ally Group (50 entities; 50%; Constant; Minion, +50%; Summonable, +100%) [200] and Morph (Alternative Ability; Improvised Forms, +100%) [40].
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #26
Biscuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I would have it as Ally Group (50 entities; 50%; Constant; Minion, +50%; Summonable, +100%) [200] and Morph (Alternative Ability; Improvised Forms, +100%) [40].
But the basic slimes are weaker individuals, and the chimera one is an more powerful individual that can act as a core to the swarm (using the others as swarm), I can't use different individuals as one group, right?
Old 12-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #27
AlexanderHowl

Well, it depends on what exactly you are attempting to do, but you could order individual slimes to do different things with Minion. In any case, it would like result in a very high point build (500+ CP). Independent slimes could be bought as individual Allies who possessed Permeation (Your character) [5].

An alternative build could use Alterate Form, where the first Alterate Form possesses the Ally Group and the second Alternate Form possesses the Morph. In fact, it might end up being more effective, as Alternate Form (Non-Reciprocal Damage, +50%; Reciprocal Rest, +30%; Reduced Time 4, +80%) would only 39 CP each form (while the Alternative Ability would cost 40 CP and be less useful than the Alternate Form).

In that case, I would likely give the base form Injury Tolerance (Diffuse; Body of Swarm, +40%; Humanoid Form, +50%; Switchable, +10%) [200] and the above two Alternate Forms [78]. Another +122 CP of traits would allow for a character appropriate for a MH game, another +100 CP of traits on top of that allows for a character appropriate for a Supers game.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #28
Biscuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Well, it depends on what exactly you are attempting to do, but you could order individual slimes to do different things with Minion. In any case, it would like result in a very high point build (500+ CP). Independent slimes could be bought as individual Allies who possessed Permeation (Your character) [5].

An alternative build could use Alterate Form, where the first Alterate Form possesses the Ally Group and the second Alternate Form possesses the Morph. In fact, it might end up being more effective, as Alternate Form (Non-Reciprocal Damage, +50%; Reciprocal Rest, +30%; Reduced Time 4, +80%) would only 39 CP each form (while the Alternative Ability would cost 40 CP and be less useful than the Alternate Form).

In that case, I would likely give the base form Injury Tolerance (Diffuse; Body of Swarm, +40%; Humanoid Form, +50%; Switchable, +10%) [200] and the above two Alternate Forms [78]. Another +122 CP of traits would allow for a character appropriate for a MH game, another +100 CP of traits on top of that allows for a character appropriate for a Supers game.
My campaign is 550CP+ rn.

The permeation can work as the payload would to hold the slimes on the chimera body, it's a good alternative if I need these points on the basic slimes instead of the chimera.

The problem is, if I use them as independent beings and separate allies, how would the core slime control the lesser ones attached to it's body.

As for the alternate form build, the first one is assuming the chimera has an ally group, but the chimera is already a ally to the PC, so it can't have allies, unless it's cosmic (see above).

Also, the basic slimes can absorb enemies or materials to acquire a irreversible ability, I would need one alternate form for each base slime with morph, that would make the cost too high even on a 550 CP character.

I think the best way suggested until now is to find an ability that would let the chimera control the actions and use abilities from the basic slime's, while using permeation or payload to attach them, using them as chipslots for example (though I still need to evaluate something like that).
Old 12-09-2019, 03:10 AM   #29
Aldric

I would just go with the Chimera having Payload, whatever slimes you load there can still use their skills just like characters in a car. If you want the chinera to inherit a skill possessed by one of the slimes, you justnuse Modular Abilities with chip slots, your chips just happen to be slimes.
Only issue I see is that the clawed tentacle can be targeted as an individual creature which may or may not be what you want.

On the issue of controlling the lesser slimes, just make them minions with reprogrammable, now they answer to the summoner or the chimera, assuming the chimera has enough IQ to make decisions for them and it's not a Minion itself.

Bonus of using payload, if the chimera is killed, the slimes in the payload might take some damage, but would then just flow out which was one of the requirements if I'm not mistaken
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #30
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Thanks, yes - I later dug my copy of Horror out and looked it up, but it didn't seem to be what he was after so I let it drop.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ally, chimera, fantasy, slime, summon