Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-23-2019, 09:08 PM   #11
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Fright Checks

Here is a thread started in January of 2018.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...=fear+loathing
it goes into this quite a bit, though I don't think there was a conclusion.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:54 PM   #12
JLV

Yeah. I actually started that one, back when we were still throwing ideas against the wall to see if anything sounded like it might be a good addition to the existing classic rules.

I still think some kind of "Morale/Fright" system makes a LOT of sense. Not for the players, per se, but more for the GM, to help him play out how the NPCs react to things (and the Fright Check DOES make sense for the players, since a sudden shock to the system should be something they need to roll against, not just declare "I'm fine" about).

However, back then, that dog didn't hunt very well. I'd be interested to hear if anyone thinks differently now that the game is out and you are starting to play various fights and adventures and interacting with those NPCs...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #13
KevinJ

The Fright Check mechanic does have a place in TFT. It should be used sparingly, since familiarity breed contempt.

It's important to note that Fantasy and Horror can go hand in hand. While Horror can be a genre, it can also be combined with other genres. Pulps-
Horror, SciFi-Horror, Fantasy-Horror, etc. If you are going to introduce Horror, even if it's just in a one off game, having an existing mechanic is mighty handy so you don't make conflicting rulings as the game progresses.

When it comes to horror and fright checks, being confronted with something horrific, like a ghoul eating a fresh victim, might be just the time for a fright check, even for seasoned adventurers.

In general, you could have a Morale Check mechanic for NPCs, since PCs should be allowed to fight to the death. I usually use a 4/IQ roll to stay in the fight once an NPC takes 1/2 their ST in wounds. On a bad roll the NPC turns and flees madly. On a normal fail they will try to make a tactical retreat.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #14
KevinJ

So...
Do fright checks work like traps? X/IQ or be frightened? Would an unexpected gruesome scene, the afore mentioned ghoul eating a fresh kill, be a 3/IQ fright check while confronting a cosmic horror under any circumstances rate a 7/IQ fright check?

What Talents might influence the number of dice rolled for a fright check?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:13 PM   #15
warhorse11h

I used the frighten ability of a ghost,(ITL LE, pg 84) as the basis for a Fear spell. I also used the Fear Spell from Inthelabyrinth.org as part of it as well.

Fear (T) IQ 12 Costs 3 to cast. Victim must save on 4d6 vs IQ or flee at full MA for 2d6 melees. Will not return unless the source of the fear is vanquished or leaves. If the save succeeds they are -2 IQ and -2 DX for 1d6 turns.

In practice, I see it as working differently for PCs and NPCs. NPCs will generally follow the spell description to the letter. Whereas, PCs are supposed to be mighty heroes and be made of sterner stuff. They will probably be allowed to autosave, but will still have to deal with the -2 DX, -2 IQ effects. Some NPCs, (Tollenkar, for example, or any of his bravos), would be treated as PCs. After all, it should be harder to frighten an experienced warrior or mage, they've seen and done more and are hardened. They'll stick to their guns longer.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:53 PM   #16
hcobb

c.f. Avert
Old 05-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #17
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
c.f. Avert
I think I see what you mean, but the avert spell seems to me to lack the effects of fear in it. You're being forced away, but you're not scared to death nor rattled to the point of not being able to think coherently.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #18
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
I think I see what you mean, but the avert spell seems to me to lack the effects of fear in it. You're being forced away, but you're not scared to death nor rattled to the point of not being able to think coherently.
Then WOC:Flee
Old 05-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #19
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Then WOC:Flee
Perhaps, but it still seems to lack the fear effect.

I think I'll keep my Fear spell until I see how it fares. At IQ 12, it is more likely to see use than WOC. Most characters will never see that level of IQ.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:23 PM   #20
Shostak

Having a higher IQ should not make one less prone to being frightened.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, tft