Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 06-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
Flamus

Default An issue with Spell Pre Reqs

So either I missed something or the GCA is not correctly applying a single school magery advantage with a chosen spell. I made sure to apply the restriction to the scaleable version of magery so that shouldn't be the issue. I'd include screenshots, but there appears to be no option for that.

I applied the single college limitation to Magery!, but Beast Soother displays an odd issue where it both negates and adds magery. It then flags itself as not meeting the prerequisites. Oddly enough if I remove the single college limitation there is no issue. I have tried also tried using the other version of Single College (as there are two - 1 with a picklist and one without), as well as applying the limitation to both version of magery and even just magery 0 in case I misunderstood something. Each instance caused the same issue.

My guess is the GCA is not correctly associating College with Category for spells.

Any help/ideas would be most welcome.

- Marshall
Flamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: An issue with Spell Pre Reqs

I tried to reproduce this, but I wasn't able, so here's what I did.

I loaded Basic Set and Magic. Created a new character. Added Beast-Soother (and got its prereqs as well). All spells are level 8 because I have no Magery and IQ 10.

I added Magery. I got it and Magery 0. All my spells are now Level 9.

On Magery, I added the One College Only (%College%) modifier, picked Animal, and got One College Only (Animal) as the modifier applied. My Magery now costs 6.

Beast-Soother is now level 9, the other spells are now level 8, and no longer blue (indicating they're not receiving any bonuses).

Adding Fish Control, it gets added at 9, getting the bonus. Adding Purify Air, it gets added at 8, getting no bonus.

All is working correctly.

Could you perhaps tell me what is different about what you did, that this doesn't work the same for you? Are you loading different or alternative files, custom data, anything like that?
Old 06-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamus View Post
I applied the single college limitation to Magery!,
What does the exclamation mark mean there? There is no advantage called "Magery!", nor a skill, AFAIK.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I tried to reproduce this, but I wasn't able, so here's what I did.
I did too, and could not see an issue, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamus View Post
I applied the single college limitation to Magery!, but Beast Soother displays an odd issue where it both negates and adds magery.
This makes it sound like Magery is giving a -X bonus to Beast Soother and then a +x bonus to Beast Soother, which is how the Single College limitation used to work a long time ago, before a better method was implemented. This makes me think that the OP is working on an old version of GCA and is not fully updated. To the OP, make sure you've got the latest Program Patch and Data Update installed from the GCA Update page. The program version should be b4.0.423 under Help -> About. For the data files you can look at the description of the Basic Set under Tools -> Options -> Data Sets -> Change & Load. When you click on the Basic Set data file a description of the file should appear at the bottom of the Data Set window, the first thing listed should be the date of 04/24/2016. If you don't have that date you are working from an earlier Data Update.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote