Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #1031
Kalzazz

Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

You came out of the gates swinging with that article, it is fondly known to me and my friends as 'that article with the Celerity potion', and is quite likely in our top ten favorite Pyramid articles (though actually making a top 10 is hard), definitely among my favorite of your articles

Both you and Kuroshima did so well with your first article it is a tough act to follow with your newer ones
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #1032
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
You came out of the gates swinging with that article, it is fondly known to me and my friends as 'that article with the Celerity potion', and is quite likely in our top ten favorite Pyramid articles (though actually making a top 10 is hard), definitely among my favorite of your articles

Both you and Kuroshima did so well with your first article it is a tough act to follow with your newer ones
I think Bottled Magic was pretty stellar (and I don't compliment myself...ever). I don't know if I could pick a favorite though.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:18 AM   #1033
Christopher R. Rice

GURPS101: It Ain't Heavy, It's my Shield

Some random musings on why shields don't have a Minimum ST stat and how to add one should you so choose.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #1034
Kalzazz

Roman Scutums are bucklers, so if I am reading the table correctly to wield a 22lb buckler you need ST 19! Talk about manly Romans

I do like the idea of a Fast Draw Shield skill, the notion is quite intriguing. We've allowed Fast Draw Buckler for a while, but not shield

How do weight lightening features interact with Min ST? A Fine, Orichalcum shield with Lighten cast on it is much easier to lug around (and justify lugging around) even for weaklings in the current non Min ST rules (because if your a ST 9 weakling, a 22lb Large Scutum is a massive hit to encumbrance)
Old 06-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #1035
Anders

The only thing I'd use min ST for is to determine how much ST you can use in an attack. As it is now, there is no defined limit.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #1036
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Roman Scutums are bucklers, so if I am reading the table correctly to wield a 22lb buckler you need ST 19! Talk about manly Romans

I do like the idea of a Fast Draw Shield skill, the notion is quite intriguing. We've allowed Fast Draw Buckler for a while, but not shield

How do weight lightening features interact with Min ST? A Fine, Orichalcum shield with Lighten cast on it is much easier to lug around (and justify lugging around) even for weaklings in the current non Min ST rules (because if your a ST 9 weakling, a 22lb Large Scutum is a massive hit to encumbrance)
No, that's sheer iteration error. That was brought up by someone else and I ditched it, but for some reason Blogger didn't save the changes. I've fixed them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The only thing I'd use min ST for is to determine how much ST you can use in an attack. As it is now, there is no defined limit.
I thought of that too, but I liked the idea of Min ST affecting Block somehow.

Become a Patron!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #1037
Kalzazz

How would you handle mods that make shields lighter? For instance 'Fine' or Lighten spells. Or mods that make shields heavier, like Dwarven
Old 06-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #1038
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
How would you handle mods that make shields lighter? For instance 'Fine' or Lighten spells. Or mods that make shields heavier, like Dwarven
Use the final weight of the shield to determine its new Minimum ST. So having a lighter shield would allow you to block more efficiently while keeping its coverage (it's Defense Bonus).

Become a Patron!
Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 PM   #1039
Kalzazz

Intriguing!

I think I would allow Strongshield Perk to allow Trained ST for Shields if using this system perhaps also

Sister Jessi now really wants to get a Lighten 25%, Fine, Orichalcum shield so that when she is under the effects of her favorite Divine Might ritual she can get +1 to block

I only rarely see PC strength exceeding the low to mid twenties, so alas don't think I'm going to see the nifty bonus appear except in very contrived situations (such as really awesome shields wielded by strong people under the effects of buffing spells), but who doens't like to contrive such situations?

Though actually, if Sister Jessi is ever caught in a town where only small shields are legal (which is not super uncommon in the setting she lives in), she could get bonuses for her high ST in using a tiny shield, so neat
Old 06-28-2015, 11:39 PM   #1040
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Intriguing!

I think I would allow Strongshield Perk to allow Trained ST for Shields if using this system perhaps also

Sister Jessi now really wants to get a Lighten 25%, Fine, Orichalcum shield so that when she is under the effects of her favorite Divine Might ritual she can get +1 to block

I only rarely see PC strength exceeding the low to mid twenties, so alas don't think I'm going to see the nifty bonus appear except in very contrived situations (such as really awesome shields wielded by strong people under the effects of buffing spells), but who doens't like to contrive such situations?

Though actually, if Sister Jessi is ever caught in a town where only small shields are legal (which is not super uncommon in the setting she lives in), she could get bonuses for her high ST in using a tiny shield, so neat
I could definitely see such a perk and would adopt it up to the skill level, rather than max it out at DX+2.

Become a Patron!

Tags
blogs