Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Corruption and Insanity [Horror/Thaumatology]

Within Horror, we are introduced to the Corruption system, which is just a variation of the Meditative Magic system of Fantasy. In short, characters may accept corruption instead of paying FP, but they may suffer 1 CP would of disadvantages for every 25 corruption that they accumulate (they may bleed off corruption by engaging in good acts). Of course, this is just one of the bad methods of avoiding FP cost, other methods include Spirit-Assisted magic and Threshold-Limited magic.

A related concept would be an Insanity system. An Insanity system would function similarly to a Corruption system, except that the character could accumulate 1 CP of disadvantages for every 25 insanity that they accumulate (they may bleed off insanity through rest or psychotherapy). If such a system existed along side a Corruption system, the Insanity system might give mundane disadvantages while the Corruption system might give supernatural disadvantages.

Imagine a modern day setting with secret magic. The magical system is RPM, but characters would have to 'gamble' Corruption or Insanity with every gathering roll. If the characters succeeds, they accumulate twice their margin of success, up to twice the amount gambled (doubled on a critical success). If the character loses, they gain Corruption or Insanity equal to the amount gambled (doubled on a critical failure, in addition to the normal effects of a failure (or critical failure). Magic cannot reduce Corruption or Madness.

What would be the consequences of such a magical system? Do you think magicians would be careful and subtle or corrupt and insane? How would you play a magical character in such a setting?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #2
Shostak
 
Shostak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Default Re: Corruption and Insanity [Horror/Thaumatology]

Interesting. I assume that disadvantages due to Insanity have to be mental, yes? And that they can be bought off for with CPs earned? The one drag I can foresee is that these characters might wind up not advancing much because they will be trying to get rid of all the disadvantages instead of improving skills, while their mundane counterparts will be steadily getting better(possibly).

As for how I'd play it, I guess it would depend on the character. I hope that I can play characters differently depending on the personalities/drives I assign them during character generation and in response to what happens in play. If the PC is impetuous or just curious, they might be more inclined to risk the consequences. If playing a character more like Lovecraft's Prof. Armitage, I'd be willing to use magic as a last resort. I suspect a lot of the NPC magicians will be stark raving mad because of the lure of power and knowledge.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:51 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: Corruption and Insanity [Horror/Thaumatology]

No, not necessarily just mental disadvantages. Blindness, Deaf, Epilepsy, Mute, and many other physical disadvantages could easily be caused by disruptions in the brain (they would be psychosomatic rather than physiological, but their effects would be just as real). As a GM, I would actually forbid them from being bought off with CP, as I would want permanent consequences to being careless with magic. Skilled magicians would retain their sanity and purity while bad magicians would retain neither.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
DangerousThing
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Re: Corruption and Insanity [Horror/Thaumatology]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
As a GM, I would actually forbid them from being bought off with CP, as I would want permanent consequences to being careless with magic. Skilled magicians would retain their sanity and purity while bad magicians would retain neither.
Why do you consider magicians who would gamble their sanity bad? What about a skilled and good magician who needed the energy to do a spell quickly to stave off the boards of hell? Sure, he might be gibbering now, but he saved the world.
__________________
A little learning is a dangerous thing.
Warning: Invertebrate Punnster - Spinelessly Unable to Resist a Pun
Dangerous Thoughts, my blog about GURPS and life.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:08 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: Corruption and Insanity [Horror/Thaumatology]

It is a horror thing, influenced by the Mythos. Corruption and insanity beyond a certain point is permanent, so characters need to keep up with their penance to remove their corruption and must rest to remove their insanity. Good magicians will prefer insanity while evil magicians will prefer corruption. When push comes to shove though, skilled magicians of either type will be much less likely to suffer consequences than unskilled magicians.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:54 PM   #6
Plane
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default Re: Corruption and Insanity [Horror/Thaumatology]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Within Horror, we are introduced to the Corruption system, which is just a variation of the Meditative Magic system of Fantasy.
Of the F162 "Point Debt" extension of it.

I'd say it built on it in an interesting way.

On one hand, Corruption isn't as bad, because -125 points don't immediately become a -5 point disadvantage. Instead H148 demotes that to a GM's option where he can let them keep accumulating it under they fail a will roll.

Of course the 'worse' side of it, is they could fail that will roll earlier on and even as few as 25 points of corruption could turn into a -1 point disadvantage.

I still don't fully get how H147 makes 10 points corruption worth -1 though. A -5 point disdvantage to start with 50 corruption which will only turn into a -2 disadvtange.

.All I can figure is that since whatever disadvantage you eventually get is surprise, it's worth double the value as a SECRET disadvantage... (so 2 is worth 4) and as for the odd quirk out, that's probably the 'visible' in the aura' issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
A related concept would be an Insanity system. An Insanity system would function similarly to a Corruption system, except that the character could accumulate 1 CP of disadvantages for every 25 insanity that they accumulate (they may bleed off insanity through rest or psychotherapy). If such a system existed along side a Corruption system, the Insanity system might give mundane disadvantages while the Corruption system might give supernatural disadvantages.
How would this interact with H147 saying that every point of Derangement (H142) also adds a point of corruption?

Derangement seems to cover insanity, but are you proposing you can basically accrue 1 pt of Derangement to pay 1 energy without it also upticking the Corruption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Imagine a modern day setting with secret magic. The magical system is RPM, but characters would have to 'gamble' Corruption or Insanity with every gathering roll. If the characters succeeds, they accumulate twice their margin of success, up to twice the amount gambled (doubled on a critical success). If the character loses, they gain Corruption or Insanity equal to the amount gambled (doubled on a critical failure, in addition to the normal effects of a failure (or critical failure). Magic cannot reduce Corruption or Madness.

What would be the consequences of such a magical system? Do you think magicians would be careful and subtle or corrupt and insane? How would you play a magical character in such a setting?
Corruption/Derangement aren't really pools you can gamble, but you could gamble energy that you got in exchange for accruing them I guess.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:12 PM   #7
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: Corruption and Insanity [Horror/Thaumatology]

The additional value comes from the reaction penalty. Stress/derangements are a different rule from corruption/insanity (and could be their own source of power).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.