Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-16-2023, 05:01 PM   #1
AlHazred

Default Converting Old Modules

So, back in the day, Metagaming licensed the TFT system to Gamelords for a series of supplements. These would have been part of The Land Beyond the Mountains series, the first two of which were The Warrior-Lords of Darok and The Forest-Lords of Dihad. Sadly, that TFT line was discontinued. However, Gamelords did end up releasing the next two modules in the series, albeit in different forms.

These modules ended up being City of the Sacred Flame and Within The Tyrant's Demesne, which were converted to the Gamelords' AD&D-alike system and were made part of the Haven line supporting their Thieves' Guild products. Parts of the background text had to be extensively rewritten for Haven, and all the original names for people and places replaced.

I had picked up the Warrior-Lords and Forest-Lords books back in the day, but had absolutely no idea about the next two supplements until decades later, when I read about them on Angantyr's blog post here: Reconstructed Covers for "Soldier City: Shaylle" and "Intrigue in Plaize".

I have since acquired the Thieves Guild modules, and looking them over it looks like it wouldn't be that hard to convert them, just time consuming. So, I thought I would ask if anyone has done a checklist for the conversion that they would be willing to share. For instance:
  1. Change all references of "Zal' Akhen" to "Shaylle" -- pages 2, 4, 6-8, 12, etc.

Before I started doing this for myself, I figured I would ask if anyone else has already completed it.
AlHazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 05:07 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Converting Old Modules

You might want to start with the differences between classic and legacy editions. Here's my list of these: https://www.hcobb.com/tft/legacy_first.html
Old 11-16-2023, 05:19 PM   #3
AlHazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
You might want to start with the differences between classic and legacy editions. Here's my list of these: https://www.hcobb.com/tft/legacy_first.html
That is an extremely useful list! But I haven't even gotten to the stat blocks yet, I was talking about the basics. Angantyr mentions the background was rewritten extensively, but I'm thinking it might be possible to rewrite/extract a usable background from the previous modules.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:23 PM   #4
Turgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlHazred View Post
So, back in the day, Metagaming licensed the TFT system to Gamelords for a series of supplements. These would have been part of The Land Beyond the Mountains series, the first two of which were The Warrior-Lords of Darok and The Forest-Lords of Dihad. Sadly, that TFT line was discontinued. However, Gamelords did end up releasing the next two modules in the series, albeit in different forms.

These modules ended up being City of the Sacred Flame and Within The Tyrant's Demesne, which were converted to the Gamelords' AD&D-alike system and were made part of the Haven line supporting their Thieves' Guild products. Parts of the background text had to be extensively rewritten for Haven, and all the original names for people and places replaced.

I had picked up the Warrior-Lords and Forest-Lords books back in the day, but had absolutely no idea about the next two supplements until decades later, when I read about them on Angantyr's blog post here: Reconstructed Covers for "Soldier City: Shaylle" and "Intrigue in Plaize".

I have since acquired the Thieves Guild modules, and looking them over it looks like it wouldn't be that hard to convert them, just time consuming. So, I thought I would ask if anyone has done a checklist for the conversion that they would be willing to share. For instance:
  1. Change all references of "Zal' Akhen" to "Shaylle" -- pages 2, 4, 6-8, 12, etc.

Before I started doing this for myself, I figured I would ask if anyone else has already completed it.
I recently picked those to modules up and I would be interested in what you do with them.

Have you looked at Dark City Games stuff? It is close to TFT, but has different rules.
Turgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 08:14 PM   #5
AlHazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turgul View Post
I recently picked those to modules up and I would be interested in what you do with them.
Listen, I'm trying to be lazy here! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turgul View Post
Have you looked at Dark City Games stuff? It is close to TFT, but has different rules.
I have, and it looks like it stayed pretty close to the original TFT rules. Shouldn't be too hard to convert, I think.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:01 PM   #6
larsdangly

The main problem with using the older modules is that Legacy Edition humanoid characters are developed under much stricter constraints on attribute scores and much more liberal constraints on the total number of known talents and spells, so, while they start their careers pretty much the same they end up diverging strongly. One of the issues with the first wave of published modules (e.g., Tolenkar's Lair) is that it took a while for the designers to follow the new rules when they presented NPCs!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 12:11 PM   #7
hcobb

Should I add more talent aliases here so that a Classic Thief gets all the new talents on conversion to Legacy?
https://www.hcobb.com/tft/tftcalc.html

Tags
gamelords, metagaming, tft