Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #31
Tomsdad

Default Re: [Basic] Arrow in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
To get three successes at 50% in three trials is 0.5^3. To figure out how long a run will go before getting three consecutive successes is really annoying to puzzle out (and mixing in the 'can stop immediately on a critical doesn't make it less so). To the point that I gave up and resorted to simulations before, and that's what I'll turn to again when I have time to dust them off.

The 1/8th chance, though, is the chance that the bleeding will stop before you actually lose any HP, or the chance that after any bleeding check on which you lose HP, you will not lose any more. Except actually that's a little better than 1/8 because critical.
Yeah I was thinking there was going to be more to it than just .5*.5*.5 :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Any injury to the eye over HP/10 cripples it, and a crippling injury is automatically a Major Wound. So even for such a low-damage eye hit, it'll trigger a stun roll at -10.
Good point although anything other then a 1 (or 2 using P-) will go on into the brain and probably give you a major wound anyway. Actually in MA it does say that destroying even ears and noses is good for a -1 on bleeding rolls (-2 if cutting but irrelevant for eyes) which when you combine with no first aid for eyes any penalty is pretty severe.

Especially if you're treating eyes as x4 which makes it impossible to cripple without also destroying an eye (well unless your eye is 3hp meaning your have 30hp).

As to the whole major wound thing for a 1pt wound to the eye, I'm a bit torn as I think its bit harsh for bleeding , but I can easily see the immediate shock effects (although I might say -5 to stun rather than -10)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Okay, here's actual average bleeding damage before stabilizing, for effective HT 4-16:
HT 4: 281
HT 5: 61.4
HT 6: 52.9
HT 7: 41.6
HT 8: 26.6
HT 9: 13.5
HT 10: 6.42
HT 11: 3.13
HT 12: 1.59
HT 13: 0.83
HT 14: 0.46
HT 15: 0.26
HT 16: 0.08

Done with a simple google doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wc&usp=sharing
Excellent cheers!

So treating the eye as a separate organ with no x4 multiplier hit by a impaling arrow you have

1pt damage = 2 points damage to the eye (eye destroyed), bleeding at -1 so a HT10 target (already at 8 hp) will end up at -5 before stabilising.

2pt damage = 2 points damage to the eye (eye destroyed) 1 goes on to the brain at x4 so 6 hps in total damage, bleeding at -2 so a HT10 target (already at 4 hp) will end up -23

3pt damage = 2 points damage to the eye (eye destroyed) 2 goes on to the brain at x4 so 10 hps in total damage, bleeding at -3 so a HT10 target (already at 0 hp) will end up -42

if we treat the eye as a skull hit and x4 you get pretty similar results, (the 1st point of damage becomes 4 rather than 2 so really you only adding subtracting an extra 2 points from where you end up)

However it does make a difference to Pi+, Pi & Pi- hits were the a 1 point wound will be a 1 point injury (and not destroy the eye so no bleeding penalty) , a 2 point wound will be 3. 2 & 1 respectively.

However I'm not sure how often you going to get such low rolls on such damage types (barring the BB shot examples earlier).

Last edited by Tomsdad; 05-10-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain, combat, injury