Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
chimchim

Default [ooc] the great black hills gold rush

As of now i am closing recruitment as i have enough players however as always this maychange as people sometimes drop out etc.

I am proposing running a Old West game using GURPS 4th edition rules set against the back drop of the 1876 Black Hills Gold Rush. The game will be aimed toward the realistic and grittier ends of the scale (with just a few cinematic elements to aid PC survival).
The Game will start two weeks after the defeat of the 7th Cavalry at the little big horn. The US and the Sioux are still at war and all the gold camps in the Black Hills are still technically illegal settlements in violation of the Laramie treaty. With in these settlemets the only law is what ever the locals can enforce themselves. Hence they can be somewhat interesting places to be.
The campaign will be centred around a fictional camp called Shady Gulch (which is a commercially available product on e23 (though not for GURPS) but i do not recomemend getting it as i have heavily modified it). The campaign will in style resemble the TV series Deadwood and will involve a lot of social possitioning and politics with some gun play. Pure gun fighter type characters may be at a slight disadvantage here.
As this game is rooted in reality there will be no supernatural elements and all technology etc must have been historically available in 1876 America.

Character Generation notes

You will be given a budget of 150cp to spend on your character with a disadvantage limit of -75 including anything with a negative points value.
I would prefere no out and out psycho's lol.
The camapign is TL5 with average wealth being $5000 gurps dollars. Now despite the characters being people who are moving here to make a new life you may only have 20% of your worth available for equipment the rest will go on status specific stuff like a wagon a team to pull it tents and everyday stuff to fill your wagon etc etc etc.
I will allow people to trade points for cash though.

allowed cinematic advantages

Gunslinger
Enhanced dodge (capped at level 2)
Luck

This list is open to negotiation so long as a NO does not offend lol.

I would hope that the players create characters that have a reason to want to live in the town and to stay and make it a success.

If you need to know anything else please ask

Player list:-
player 1 zoncxs=samuel, a grizzled one ex soldier come gun fighter.
player 2 gnomesofZurich,former dynamite smuggler
player 3 epic kobold(pending character sheet)
player 4 skullcrusher,guide and gun hand
player 5 ulthar, a doctor with a hidden past

Last edited by chimchim; 09-14-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added player list
chimchim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
zoncxs

Default Re: [ooc] the great black hills gold rush

Here is Samuel. Once a soldier, then a Bounty hunter, now a drifter. Takes jobs when they come, mostly as a body guard.

gungrave Samuel (150 points)
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 150lbs

Rough looking and cold sometimes. Dark brown short hair and deep blue eyes.

ST 11 [10]
DX 11 [20]
IQ 12 [40]
HT 11 [10]

HP 11 [0]
Will 12 [0]
Per 12 [0]
FP 11 [0]

Damage 1d-1/1d+1
BL 24*lb

Basic Speed 5.50 [0]
Basic Move 5 [0]

Dodge 9*

Social Background
TL: 5 [0]

Advantages

Combat Reflexes [15]
Gunslinger [25]

Disadvantages

Callous [-5]
Curious (12 or less) [-5]
Hidebound [-5]
No Sense of Humor [-10]
Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]
Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]
Sense of Duty (Adventuring companions) [-5]

Quirks: Alcohol Intolerance; Attentive; Broad-Minded; Careful; Horrible Hangovers. [-5]

Skills

Animal Handling (Equines) (A) IQ [2]-12
Armoury/TL5 (Small Arms) (A) IQ [2]-12
Brawling (E) DX+2 [4]-13
Diplomacy (H) IQ [4]-12
Fast-Draw (Pistol) (E) DX+3 [4]-14*
Fast-Talk (A) IQ+1 [4]-13
First Aid/TL5 (Human) (E) IQ [1]-12
Guns/TL5 (Pistol) (E) DX+5 [16]-16
Hiking (A) HT+1 [4]-12
Holdout (A) IQ [2]-12
Intimidation (A) Will [2]-12
Knife (E) DX+1 [2]-12
Navigation/TL5 (Land) (A) IQ [2]-12
Observation (A) Per [2]-12
Riding (Equines) (A) DX+1 [4]-12
Scrounging (E) Per [1]-12
Search (A) Per+0 [2]-12
Shadowing (A) IQ+1 [4]-13
Smuggling (A) IQ [2]-12
Stealth (A) DX+1 [4]-12
Survival (Mountain) (A) Per [2]-12
Tracking (A) Per+1 [4]-13
Traps/TL6 (A) IQ [2]-12
Wrestling (A) DX+1 [4]-12

*Includes +1 from 'Combat Reflexes'.

Items on hand:

Colt M1873 SAA, .45 Long Colt; dmg: 3d-2 pi+; acc 2; range 120/1,300; 3 lbs/0.3 lbs; RoF 1; shots 6(3i); ST11; bulk(-2); Rcl4; cost $500

.45 ammo ($6 each .3 lbs)x5

Bowie Knife (Small); Dmg:1d-1 imp; Acc:0; Range:9.6 / 18; 1 lbs; RoF:1; Shots:T(1); ST:6; Bulk:-2; Rcl:; cost $40

Personal Basics $5 1 lbs

Canteen $10 3 lbs - water 2 lbs

Buff leather coat; DR2* (body, limbs); cost $210; 16 lbs

Boots; DR2* (feet); cost $80; 3 lbs

ordinary clothes; 2 lbs

Pocket Watch $100, neg.

Holster, Belt; $25; 0.5 lb.

Last edited by zoncxs; 09-15-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: equipment
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim View Post
Character Generation notes

You will be given a budget of 150cp to spend on your character with a disadvantage limit of -75 including anything with a negative points value.
I would prefere no out and out psycho's lol.
The camapign is TL5 with average wealth being $5000 gurps dollars. Now despite the characters being people who are moving here to make a new life you may only have 20% of your worth available for equipment the rest will go on status specific stuff like a wagon a team to pull it tents and everyday stuff to fill your wagon etc etc etc.
I will allow people to trade points for cash though.

allowed cinematic advantages

Gunslinger
Enhanced dodge (capped at level 2)
Luck

This list is open to negotiation so long as a NO does not offend lol.

I would hope that the players create characters that have a reason to want to live in the town and to stay and make it a success.

If you need to know anything else please ask
Excellent! I'm excited about the game!

My character concept, as mentioned in the other thread, is a demolitions expert. From the time he first saw a firework as a young boy, Jebediah has been obsessed with explosions. He has found work with whoever will pay him to blow things up...his chief employment to this point has been with the military and for miners and prospectors.

A couple of questions about allowed advantages (feel free to say 'no', I won't take offense):
As Enhanced Dodge is allowed, would you allow the Enhanced Dodge (Dive for Cover) from GURPS Action (p.18)? It's 5 points per level, and only gives the dodge bonus when you dive for cover to escape an explosion. As it is rather limited when compared to normal Enhanced Dodge, could I buy three levels (assuming it's allowed at all)?

Are Gizmos allowed?
Would you allow Consumable Signature Gear (GURPS Super, p.81)? That way I could ensure a steady supply of the consumables (dynamite and blasting caps) that I'm likely to go through.

Finally, what would be a suitable Survival specialty for the area we are in? Mountain?

I'd already done a rough draft of the character on 150 points, so pending the answers to those questions I should have it ready fairly quickly.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
chimchim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Excellent! I'm excited about the game!

My character concept, as mentioned in the other thread, is a demolitions expert. From the time he first saw a firework as a young boy, Jebediah has been obsessed with explosions. He has found work with whoever will pay him to blow things up...his chief employment to this point has been with the military and for miners and prospectors.

A couple of questions about allowed advantages (feel free to say 'no', I won't take offense):
As Enhanced Dodge is allowed, would you allow the Enhanced Dodge (Dive for Cover) from GURPS Action (p.18)? It's 5 points per level, and only gives the dodge bonus when you dive for cover to escape an explosion. As it is rather limited when compared to normal Enhanced Dodge, could I buy three levels (assuming it's allowed at all)?

Are Gizmos allowed?
Would you allow Consumable Signature Gear (GURPS Super, p.81)? That way I could ensure a steady supply of the consumables (dynamite and blasting caps) that I'm likely to go through.

Finally, what would be a suitable Survival specialty for the area we are in? Mountain?

I'd already done a rough draft of the character on 150 points, so pending the answers to those questions I should have it ready fairly quickly.
This concept is giving me mild unease lol only because a lot of the action will be in a very crowded mining camp. Chucking dynamite around will make you very unpopular very fast lol.
your requests:-
explosive dodge seems ok to me (even though i do not have action lol)
gizmos are allowed
consumable signature gear i am afraid not.
survival skill is mountains

dynamite was up untill a few years before the start date Illegal in the US and lead to an entirely new smuggling industry. Your PC would be a perfect candidate for a ex smuggler who lost his lively hood when it was legalised. Add a point or two in enginering (mining) and you have a job waiting for you at the camp lol.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Epic Kobold

Are we talking camp like this?

Sebastien Nadeau is the offspring of an escaped slave and a Louisiana plantation owner's son. (apparently, when she started to show, he helped her get free and that was that) she made her way as far from that place as she could get. She taught her son the value of being a hard working self made man, but it's better to be crafty than hungry.

She got sick and passed away a few years back and Sebastien quickly found work as a fossor for a small town. He'd pick up bodies, bury them and occasionally sell them or use small parts for making amulets and charms for the baron.

It's the selling of bodies that got him in trouble. He got careless and was caught selling the sheriff's aunt to a medical student. Sebastien barely escaped with his life and figured this was as good a place as any to hide out. After all, he can dig like a champ, has a strong back and maybe, just maybe he'll strike it rich.

Character write-up coming soon. The voodoo won't have any actual mystical qualities, but he doesn't know that. I may give him a dog and/or a rat, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

It may be fun if someone wants to play the medical student/doctor he was caught selling the body to and they were run out of town together...just a thought.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
chimchim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Here is Samuel. Once a soldier, then a Bounty hunter, now a drifter. Takes jobs when they come, mostly as a body guard. He lost his left eye in the war, Which gave him reason to leave it behind.

any advice to clean him up? or add to him?

Character 1 (150 points)

ST 11 [10]
DX 12 [40]
IQ 12 [40]
HT 11 [10]

HP 11 [0]
Will 11 [-5]
Per 12 [0]
FP 11 [0]

Damage 1d-1/1d+1
BL 24*lb

Basic Speed 6.00 [5]
Basic Move 6 [0]

Dodge 10†

Social Background
TL: 5 [0].
Languages: English (Native) [0]

Advantages

Combat Reflexes [15]
Gunslinger [25]

Disadvantages

Curious (12 or less) [-5]
Impulsiveness (12 or less) [-10]
One Eye [-15]
Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]
Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10]
Selfless (12 or less) [-5]
Stubbornness [-5]

Quirks: Attentive; Broad-Minded; Imaginative; Likes stew; Responsive. [-5]

Skills

Animal Handling (Equines) (A) IQ [2]-12
Armoury/TL5 (Small Arms) (A) IQ [2]-12
Boxing (A) DX+2 [12]-14‡
Climbing (A) DX [2]-12
First Aid/TL5 (Human) (E) IQ [1]-12
Forced Entry (E) DX [1]-12
Guns/TL5 (Pistol) (E) DX+4 [12]-16§
Guns/TL5 (Rifle) (E) DX+2 [3]-14§
Guns/TL5 (Shotgun) (E) DX+2 [3]-14§
Hiking (A) HT+1 [4]-12
Holdout (A) IQ [2]-12
Knife (E) DX [2]-12‡
Knot-Tying (E) DX [1]-12
Lockpicking/TL5 (A) IQ [2]-12
Navigation/TL5 (Land) (A) IQ [2]-12
Observation (A) Per [2]-12
Riding (Equines) (A) DX [2]-12
Scrounging (E) Per [1]-12
Search (A) Per [2]-12
Shadowing (A) IQ [2]-12
Smuggling (A) IQ [2]-12
Soldier/TL5 (A) IQ [2]-12
Stealth (A) DX [2]-12
Survival (Mountain) (A) Per [2]-12
Tracking (A) Per [2]-12

†*Includes +1 from 'Combat Reflexes'
‡*Includes -1 from 'One Eye'
§*Conditional -3 from 'One Eye' when not aiming
I have cast a quick eye over this (i am work lol detailed study will take place at home) and spotted a few things to consider.
1. impulsive and overconfident in my books are a suicidal combo. He will go off on a whim and will believe he can take on anyone or anything...............throw in stubborn as well ......and then curious.....DAMN

Theres a lever the group deiscuss what to do. His curiousity leads him to seriously want to know what it does. His impulsiveness means he wont stop to discuss it and why should he because he can deal with anything and besides I WANT TO PULL IT SO I WILL DAMN IT DONT TRY TELLING ME I CANT ....... BANG!

If the above sounds like an attack it isnt is just my weird humour but that is what i have refered to in the past as a coffin filling package of disadvantages.

2.No social skills/influence skills which could be an issue.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
chimchim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold View Post
Are we talking camp like this?

Sebastien Nadeau is the offspring of an escaped slave and a Louisiana plantation owner's son. (apparently, when she started to show, he helped her get free and that was that) she made her way as far from that place as she could get. She taught her son the value of being a hard working self made man, but it's better to be crafty than hungry.

She got sick and passed away a few years back and Sebastien quickly found work as a fossor for a small town. He'd pick up bodies, bury them and occasionally sell them or use small parts for making amulets and charms for the baron.

It's the selling of bodies that got him in trouble. He got careless and was caught selling the sheriff's aunt to a medical student. Sebastien barely escaped with his life and figured this was as good a place as any to hide out. After all, he can dig like a champ, has a strong back and maybe, just maybe he'll strike it rich.

Character write-up coming soon. The voodoo won't have any actual mystical qualities, but he doesn't know that. I may give him a dog and/or a rat, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

It may be fun if someone wants to play the medical student/doctor he was caught selling the body to and they were run out of town together...just a thought.
The camp is in fact in transition from purely tented mining camp to a small town. The centre of camp is now a few blocks of wooden mainly false front busineses and some houses. This is surounded by a "tent city" There is a small almost seperate china town as well.

The above concept sounds great but a few things to consider this is a game based on history and as such there will be some negative racial baggage in there (not emphasised but there). A black character (or mixed race) will have a social stigma to deal with. In this case social stigma (minority group) for -10cp.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
Epic Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim View Post
The camp is in fact in transition from purely tented mining camp to a small town. The centre of camp is now a few blocks of wooden mainly false front busineses and some houses. This is surounded by a "tent city" There is a small almost seperate china town as well.

The above concept sounds great but a few things to consider this is a game based on history and as such there will be some negative racial baggage in there (not emphasised but there). A black character (or mixed race) will have a social stigma to deal with. In this case social stigma (minority group) for -10cp.
I was aware of that, but nearly forgot to build it in, thanks.

I've never done the pet thing before...I'm not sure how to charge me for that.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
zoncxs

I made a update, now I have 3 social skills, fast talk, intimidation, and diplomacy.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
Skullcrusher

This will be a place holder for my proposed character.

Background: Samson Savage came to the Mountains at a young age. Spent many years trapping prospecting and Indian Fighting. It is said he is as stubborn as a mule and as ornary as a Grizzly in winter.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote