Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #11
JulianLW

Default Re: bullfighter skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Except the "only useful in a bull fight" condition makes the skill basically worthless for an adventurer. Seriously if it's a straight up color skill like that I wouldn't bother with a ! skill, just rule all of that is included in the normal Performance (Bullfighting) (or equivalently Stage Combat (Bullfighting) skill, though I personally consider all Stage Combat skills forms of Performance too).
I don't think Bullfighter! would necessarily be worthless for an adventurer, especially if you use the Conditional Defaults rule to give -2 defaults on skills a bullfighter could use when he's not actually fighting a bull, which, given all the stuff a Bullfighter might conceivably do as part of his career, could end up being very generous.

Compare: "Flash Gordon. Quarterback. New York Jets." That's got to be Quarterback!

For 48 CP, the Bullfighter! might roll at attribute level for all kinds of stuff. Diplomacy? Fast-Talk? Leadership? Administration? Claro que sí! To book fights and pay the picadors! Acting? Performance? Public Speaking? Sure, for all my TV interviews. Animal Handling? Shortsword/Broadsword/Rapier? Spear? Lance? Lasso? Riding? Cloak? Climbing? Acrobatics? Jumping? Running? Observation? Body Language? Stealth? All the time.

And there would be stuff that the Bullfighter! got as part of his Wildcard Proficiency, too.... Maybe add the half bonus to his dodge vs. Melee Attacks? Maybe add the full bonus to offset targeted attack penalties? And depending on how you parse Wildcard Points, he'd have some of those to change rolls or even turn an important scene into a Bullfight!

Sounds to me like, with a bit of help from a GM in coming up with a good Bullfighter! skill, it could be totally awesome.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:40 AM   #12
Opellulo

Realistic bullfighting is nothing more than Performance/Profession (Bullfighting) and maybe a level or two of charisma and/or reputation.

Cinematic Bullfighting can be seen as a hunting technique or a even as a whole martial art focused on facing large quadrupeds.

It's very much at GM and player discretion: you want a bit of color or a whole template?
Old 08-06-2021, 09:52 PM   #13
Donny Brook

Here's my quick and highly interpretaive take on a bullfighter template for PCs.

Bullfighter Template:

Item: Points (250 CP Delver/125 CP Henchman):

Required:
DX+2 [40]/[40]
Animal Handling (Bovines)* [4]/[2]
Riding (Horse)* [2]/[2]
Melee Weapon (Spear)* [2]/[2]
Melee Weapon (Sword)* [4]/[4]
Targeted Attack (Sword, Thrust, Vitals)* [4]/[2]
Combat Riding* [3]/[2]
Cloak* [4]/[2]
Style Familiarity (Bull Fighting)(7)* [1]/[1]