Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #1
Plane

Default are PCs immune to the Persuasion and Vexation spells?

M45's spells add a bonus or penalty to reaction rolls but it seems like those are just made for NPCs and not PCs. Is there a way PCs could make reaction rolls and have this influence them without completely taking RP control out of their players' hands?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: are PCs immune to the Persuasion and Vexation spells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
M45's spells add a bonus or penalty to reaction rolls but it seems like those are just made for NPCs and not PCs. Is there a way PCs could make reaction rolls and have this influence them without completely taking RP control out of their players' hands?
The standard way to do this—it's in GURPS Social Engineering as a suggestion, and I got it from Kromm—would be to apply the reaction roll bonus as a penalty to the next skill or attribute roll you make that goes against what you're being persuaded to do. That is, you're still free to choose to do that, but because your will is internally divided you're likely to be less focused.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:51 PM   #3
Rupert

Default Re: are PCs immune to the Persuasion and Vexation spells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The standard way to do this—it's in GURPS Social Engineering as a suggestion, and I got it from Kromm—would be to apply the reaction roll bonus as a penalty to the next skill or attribute roll you make that goes against what you're being persuaded to do. That is, you're still free to choose to do that, but because your will is internally divided you're likely to be less focused.
It's also found in Campaigns, B359. I really need to remember this rule more often, as I tend to forget about it and not using it makes NPC social skills irrelevant.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
communication and empathy, persuasion, reaction rolls, sapient, vexation