Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default [High-Tech/Vehicles] Rugged, Simple SAR/Medevac Helicopters

In my Caribbean by Night campaign, set in a modern world with emerging secret magic, conceptualized by some occultists in terms of 'Vile Vortices' where Mana is higher, powerful paranormal phenomena correlates with interference with technological devices.

Cutting-edge electronics from late TL8 tend to malfunction at the first hint of the supernatural and the less electronics a machine uses, the more reliable it will be around the supernatural. Early TL8 vehicles usually have electronic injectors and sometime computer chips, but these are not as fundamental to their function as they are in the latest designs.

Rugged and simple TL7 vehicles are often the best solution for those who want to go into Places of Power inside Vile Vortices, when Mana is flaring up and causing dangerous supernatural threats. As the campaign is set at the end of 2018 and the beginning of 2019, it can be difficult to keep vehicles that old in working order. Especially helicopters, of course.

I'm trying to make some decisions for the helicopters available to come to pluck 'Night Riders' (Monster Hunters) from dangerous areas.

What are some TL7 or early TL8 helicopters that are still flying in 2018 and have parts available?

And which would be useful as SAR/CSAR/TRAP/Medevac/Casevac aircraft?

I know it's hard to get some former Soviet aircraft licensed in the US, but I get the feeling that for a few years after 1991, wealthy and well-connected people could obtain all sorts of Soviet war materiel extremely cheaply.

And almost everything made before 1990 in the Soviet Union could fly even if the electronics went to hell because of powerful magical fields.

What common helicopters could do the same that could be used for SAR in United States or Caribbean islands?
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: [High-Tech/Vehicles] Rugged, Simple SAR/Medevac Helicopters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
IWhat are some TL7 or early TL8 helicopters that are still flying in 2018 and have parts available?

And which would be useful as SAR/CSAR/TRAP/Medevac/Casevac aircraft?
Early model Sea Kings seem to fit your bill rather well. They were developed in the early 1960s, making them firmly TL7, were widely used for SAR and quite a few are still flying. You do want a version with the original GE T58 engines, rather than the Rolls-Royce Gnomes found on British-built models, because the Gnomes have an electronic engine controller. It's analogue rather than digital, but probably won't like magical environments.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: [High-Tech/Vehicles] Rugged, Simple SAR/Medevac Helicopters

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Early model Sea Kings seem to fit your bill rather well. They were developed in the early 1960s, making them firmly TL7, were widely used for SAR and quite a few are still flying. You do want a version with the original GE T58 engines, rather than the Rolls-Royce Gnomes found on British-built models, because the Gnomes have an electronic engine controller. It's analogue rather than digital, but probably won't like magical environments.
Excellent.

I could even find that one of Kessler's companies that provides logistics to offshore oil rigs owns several Sikorsky S-61 helicopters, so having at least one of crews be read-in on the supernatural should be possible.

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to obtain several UH-1 Hueys in the modern US and keep them flying?
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #4
Phantasm
 
Phantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the road again...
Default Re: [High-Tech/Vehicles] Rugged, Simple SAR/Medevac Helicopters

According to wikipedia:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia "Air Medical Services"
The commonly used types are the Bell 206, 407, and 429, Eurocopter AS350, BK117, EC130, EC135, EC145, and the Agusta Westland 109 & 149 and Sikorsky S-76.
I know the Bell models have been flying for a long time, and the ones flying med-evac locally are based on the Sikorsky frame.
__________________
"Life ... is an Oreo cookie." - J'onn J'onzz, 1991

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-M and N-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #5
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: [High-Tech/Vehicles] Rugged, Simple SAR/Medevac Helicopters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Does anyone know how difficult it would be to obtain several UH-1 Hueys in the modern US and keep them flying?
The civilian versions are the Bell 204 and 205. They aren't in production any more, but they seem to be quite widely used.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: [High-Tech/Vehicles] Rugged, Simple SAR/Medevac Helicopters

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
The civilian versions are the Bell 204 and 205. They aren't in production any more, but they seem to be quite widely used.
History, symbolic significance and emotional correspondence make it easier for an occultist to protect a mechanical device from the chaotic effects of paranormal phenomena. So, does anyone know if an interested buyer in the 1987 to 2018 era could have obtained Hueys used in Vietnam for a reasonable price?

And what happened to the former Israeli Hueys that Rhodesia bought?
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
copeab
 
copeab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: near Houston
Default Re: [High-Tech/Vehicles] Rugged, Simple SAR/Medevac Helicopters

Early on, the organization may have acquired a couple of flying bananas (Piasecki H-21). They could carry up to 20 troops but had a rather short 425 km range. Worth noting it used a radial engine rather than a gas turbine.
__________________
A generous and sadistic GM,
Brandon Cope

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:03 PM   #8
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: [High-Tech/Vehicles] Rugged, Simple SAR/Medevac Helicopters

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
Early on, the organization may have acquired a couple of flying bananas (Piasecki H-21). They could carry up to 20 troops but had a rather short 425 km range. Worth noting it used a radial engine rather than a gas turbine.
Sounds interesting.

Would they have been sold as surplus from France or the US at any point between 1987-2018?
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #9
copeab
 
copeab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: near Houston
Default Re: [High-Tech/Vehicles] Rugged, Simple SAR/Medevac Helicopters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Sounds interesting.

Would they have been sold as surplus from France or the US at any point between 1987-2018?
Probably at least a decade before the start date in that time frame. That is, your organization would probably be getting them second-hand from a civilian owner.
__________________
A generous and sadistic GM,
Brandon Cope

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:02 PM   #10
Dalillama
 
Dalillama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default Re: [High-Tech/Vehicles] Rugged, Simple SAR/Medevac Helicopters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
History, symbolic significance and emotional correspondence make it easier for an occultist to protect a mechanical device from the chaotic effects of paranormal phenomena. So, does anyone know if an interested buyer in the 1987 to 2018 era could have obtained Hueys used in Vietnam for a reasonable price?

And what happened to the former Israeli Hueys that Rhodesia bought?
Depends on your value for reasonable. I found several from the right time period for $500-750k, so I reckon you could get yhem a few years back for the same rates. I can't imagine they get less available the further back you go, but I can't find specific info easily.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aircraft, helicopter, monster hunters, vile vortices

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.