Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Mage's guild / school membership exam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Aura (Magic p. 101) will do it, if you read the punctuation carefully.
Yes, as long as the number of candidates isn't large Aura is the best way to go.

A somewhat better/more direct alternative to the "find the enchanted object" test is to put them in a room lit only by Mage Light. Non-,ages will literally be kept in the dark. Also, while enchanted objects require an IQ or Per Roll it seems that recognizing Essential forms of matter is automatic.

if I was testing for ability to become an Enchanter I'd have the applicant cast 10 different Spells without resting. This not only tests for the prereqs to Enchant but also tests stamina and/or mastery (Skill level).

I really, really wouldn't have tested for riddle-solving ability. Not only would it have annoyed me to come up with the riddles as an in universe thing it would be too likely to get you superficially clever and/or lucky types. Test for Magery and Spell knowledge directly.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:29 AM   #12
dcarson

There was a system where the way to be a full shaman was drink poison, die, heal yourself. Someone with enough ability in the spirit world can do that.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #13
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
A somewhat better/more direct alternative to the "find the enchanted object" test is to put them in a room lit only by Mage Light.
So the mage can see, and the mundane are blind. Practical and symbolic.

To make life more interesting, you can have the prospective mage do an "obstacle course" that's simple enough for people who can see by the magelight but essentially impossible in the dark- walking a path that's been drawn on the floor seems nice and ritualistic. Setting things up so people who blunder out of the path get blasted is strictly optional.

Tags
magery, magic