Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-23-2021, 06:23 AM   #91
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Realm Management examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
TL: 8^ (12^ for interdimensional transport)
The problem with superscience and magic is they kind of break the TL scale. GURPS Fantasy gave us Equivalent TL which can be expanded to include superscience:

Reality; Actual TL; Equivalent TL; TL Category
Azoth-1; TL(4+3)^; ETL9; Manned interplanetary spaceflight
Azoth-7; TL(4+2)^; ETL12; Faster "interstellar" space flight
Britannica-5; TL(5+1)^; ETL10; Antimatter bombs
Etheria; TL(5+1), (etheric spacecraft, TL5^); ETL9; Manned interplanetary spaceflight
Futura; TL(5+1)^; ETL7: Manned spaceflight
Igor-1; TL(6+1)^; ETL9 with some inventions
Roma Universalis; TL3^; ETL9; Manned interplanetary spaceflight

I don't think that TL12* (unless it is for wealth purposes) makes sense.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #92
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
That's an interesting way to go about it. Nice and clean really. I'll have to consider this implementation and how it affects other things (like Status).
Note I'm not saying this is necessarily or always a good idea. It's possible some players wouldn't like the added complexity. I consider it like a house rule.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #93
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Note I'm not saying this is necessarily or always a good idea. It's possible some players wouldn't like the added complexity. I consider it like a house rule.
I think it might be something worth getting into a follow-up. A small section on the status and wealth of inhabitants other than a 150 word paragraph that's in the main book. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:55 AM   #94
Michele

NAME: The Subjugated Realm
Total Area: 4,000 sqm
Realm Size Value: +11
Resource Points: 5 (0 Agriculture Points, 0 Luxury/Precious Goods Points, 3 Natural Resources Points, 2 Workforce Points)
TL: 2
Cultural Traits: Struggling; Subjugated (-30%)
Realm Inhabitant Racial Traits: None
Population: 40,000
Citizen Loyalty: Very Bad (2; -3) *
Infrastructure Rating: 2 †
Control Rating: 5 ‡
Conformity Rating: 0
Openness Rating: 2
Education Rating: 2
Government Type: Military
Economy Type: Mercantilism
Defense Bonus and Terrain: 2; hilly
Management Skill: 12
Habitability: Neutral (12)
Reaction Time Modifier: +5
Realm Enhancements (+20%): Defensible Terrain 1 (+10%); Ideal Climate 1 (+10%); Quick Deployment 1 (+20%)
Realm Limitations (-85%): Corrupt 1 (-10%); Disloyal Citizenry 3 (-45%); Hard-Power Oriented (-5%); Obsolete Infrastructure 1 (-25%).
Social Resonance: 0
Patron Value: 10
Enemy Value: -10
Realm Value: $2,100,000
Starting RP Cost: $210,000
Military Resources: $1,400,000
Revenue: $2,520,000
Starting Revenue: $21,000
Inhabitants’ Status: -4 to 4
Inhabitant’s Wealth: Dead Broke to Very Wealthy
Notes: The average income of the citizens of this realm is lower than that of the Average for this world, thus Struggling has been counted as a “Cultural Trait”, and Struggling monthly income is the basis for revenue calculations.

This is a realm bordering with the Empire, and recently subjugated by it. It has not been annexed to the Empire, yet; it’s run as a military colony, with the Imperial Army ruling it. This state of things may go on for a while, because the army is a condominium between the imperial bureaucracy and the landed nobility, and the bureaucracy doesn’t want to loosen its grip on it. Eventually, when this region gets annexed, the bureaucracy will be sidelined by a nobility composed of cadet sons of the imperial families, and maybe a few local collaborator noblemen.
As of now, the Subjugated Realm is ruthlessly exploited by the army; that’s why it is poor in starting resources. A Military government is good at sucking away further revenue for the armed forces. The infrastructure is dilapidated because of the war, but it’s unlikely that any investments will be made in it any time soon. Unsurprisingly, the citizenry is strongly disloyal to the foreign military government.
On the plus side, the area is reasonably good for agriculture, defensible, and, thanks to the war and the enslavement drive that followed, underpopulated. Yet, it won’t be the locals who will benefit from this; once things get settled and quieter, and the place is annexed as a new province, lots of the best lands will be given to both the imperial noble families and to army veterans. At that point, the original inhabitants won’t be Subjugated any more, but they will be Second-Class Citizens. The first-class ones will be the new settlers. Needless to say that a high CR and reactive garrisons are needed to make this all work.

* Includes +2 from CR5; includes Disloyal Citizenry 3.
† Includes -1 from Obsolete Infrastructure 1.
‡ Includes -1 from ConR0.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:51 PM   #95
Artos74

Hi all by a fan of GURPS since 90s, from Italy. i bought Mr. Rice's work and i think is very good
a little question about the examples of realms i've seen previous page:
how you calculate starting resource points?
by population?by revenue?by enviroment?
have a nice day
Artos74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:23 PM   #96
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos74 View Post
Hi all by a fan of GURPS since 90s, from Italy. i bought Mr. Rice's work and i think is very good
a little question about the examples of realms i've seen previous page:
how you calculate starting resource points?
by population?by revenue?by enviroment?
have a nice day
In the beginning I tied resource points to Realm Size. It didn't work out so well. So starting resource points are whatever the creator decides they are and pays for them as is appropriate.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-12-2021, 02:51 AM   #97
Artos74

Quote:
In the beginning I tied resource points to Realm Size. It didn't work out so well. So starting resource points are whatever the creator decides they are and pays for them as is appropriate.
no doubt your work is amazing. is it a "guidelines' book"? if so, perhaps, using old GURPS Fantasy, Space and Adaptions with other RPG systems could permit to "randomly" decide how many RP a territory can be worth.

For example:
-slipping RP, p.7, in more narrow branches of "production"
- calculating RP with a base of pro capita income explained in Space
- calculating RP with Start Revenue or Realm Value
- calculating base RP as above then modify them with TL, Administration Rolls,IR (manufacturing), OR (trading)

I repeat, your work is a masterpiece, like i didnt see since D&D Rules Cyclopedia and Castles&Ruins, so i hope i dont look like a bothering one
Old 05-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #98
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

One thing to understand about resource points is that they are ephemeral rather than fixed. Once a realm generates or purchases a resource point, it has it until it is spent, at which point its gone. It has no future effect on the game.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #99
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
no doubt your work is amazing. is it a "guidelines' book"? if so, perhaps, using old GURPS Fantasy, Space and Adaptions with other RPG systems could permit to "randomly" decide how many RP a territory can be worth.

For example:
-slipping RP, p.7, in more narrow branches of "production"
- calculating RP with a base of pro capita income explained in Space
- calculating RP with Start Revenue or Realm Value
- calculating base RP as above then modify them with TL, Administration Rolls,IR (manufacturing), OR (trading)
It's meant to be fairly self-contained. You really only need it and the Basic Set. Other books are helpful, but not required. I considered both random and fixed methods when I started out, but as I said. It didn't work for me. It'll probably appear in my designer's notes whenever I write those.

Quote:
I repeat, your work is a masterpiece, like i didnt see since D&D Rules Cyclopedia and Castles&Ruins, so i hope i dont look like a bothering one
Thank you! It's nice to hear that. I spent a lot of time getting it right during one of the hardest moments of my personal life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
One thing to understand about resource points is that they are ephemeral rather than fixed. Once a realm generates or purchases a resource point, it has it until it is spent, at which point its gone. It has no future effect on the game.
Eric has it right - they are something that only matters when you begin, not so much when you play because they go away or can be regained fairly easily by taking actions.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #100
Artos74

Quote:
It's meant to be fairly self-contained. You really only need it and the Basic Set. Other books are helpful, but not required. I considered both random and fixed methods when I started out, but as I said. It didn't work for me. It'll probably appear in my designer's notes whenever I write those.
Indeed u are right: maybe i found a method to mix a bit of random and fixed "starting RP" using as base the Wealth Table B27

Quote:
Thank you! It's nice to hear that. I spent a lot of time getting it right during one of the hardest moments of my personal life.
it's just the truth. i'm sorry to hear about your personal boss but u deserve the best of days and years to come

Quote:
Eric has it right - they are something that only matters when you begin, not so much when you play because they go away or can be regained fairly easily by taking actions.
a bit like my money in the pocket. or like money of a group of DFRP adventurers

Tags
realm management