Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [Powers] Accessibility, Only Above or Below %HP or %FP

I sent Kromm a PM, perhaps the GURPS gods will favor us.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 03-23-2012 at 02:47 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I'd actually use Costs FP or Costs HP, setting the cost equal to the required level of injury or fatigue, and then add a flat -10% Accessibility for the part where you have to either take the trouble to wound yourself or wait for somone else to do it for you. (Arguably, that's a Nuisance Effect more in the -5% range, but Costs FP and Costs HP are undervalued.)
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
the_matrix_walker

Thank you for your reply! All Hail Kromm!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I'd actually use Costs FP or Costs HP, setting the cost equal to the required level of injury or fatigue, and then add a flat -10% Accessibility for the part where you have to either take the trouble to wound yourself or wait for somone else to do it for you. (Arguably, that's a Nuisance Effect more in the -5% range, but Costs FP and Costs HP are undervalued.)
This answers the question about "Only works below % FP (or HP)".

But what about "Only works above % FP (or HP)"? An ability that will stop working below, say, 1/2 FP, representing loss of abilities with loss of vitality? Same for HP.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
But what about multiple uses of the ability? That limitation would mean you'd need to be freshly injured each time you want to activate the power, which I don't think was the intent of the OP.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
But what about multiple uses of the ability? That limitation would mean you'd need to be freshly injured each time you want to activate the power, which I don't think was the intent of the OP.
Nope, definitely not my intent.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I disagree, I think Kromm was just using the pricing as a framework. The goal of the thread seems pretty clear.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I disagree, I think Kromm was just using the pricing as a framework. The goal of the thread seems pretty clear.
While that is possible, it does lead one to ask if it's reasonable that the cost of abilities that can be used as much as you want below a certain HP or FP threshold would have the same value as an ability that can only be used once per certain large HP or FP expenditure with the added caveat that they can't choose to activate it by willfully spending the FP or HP without injury (because Kromm's solution is also how you'd build that).

Of course, there is a hidden switch in his build, which I guess is a handwaive +0% that allows that FP or HP to be "spent" (via loss to injury) over time, whereas that's not how Costs FP and Costs HP normally work AFAIK, and that'd differentiate the two seemingly equivalent but drastically different builds.

On the other hand, only being able to use an ability once and then only after losing in a single hit that does enough, say, HP injury to get you to 1/2 HP sounds like a far nastier limitation than being able to get whittled down to 1/2 HP over time and then getting unlimited use of said ability until you heal past that threshold (plus technically a character could always keep themselves below a certain FP or HP threshold indefinitely if they didn't mind the other penalties and dangers involved).

The final somewhat displeasing thing is that it doesn't auto-scale. A character with 20 FP that only has their power (or disadvantage, really any trait) activate at 1/2 FP needs Costs FP 10, -50% + that Accessibility that it can't be spent and needs to come from injury -10% for a total of -60%. A 10 FP character going for a trait that also activates at 1/2 FP needs only Costs FP 5, -25%, for a total limitation of -35%. And if either one of them loses or gains a permanent level of FP (through permanent injury, affliction, or buying an FP in play) then actually the percentage would change, and it wouldn't be 1/2 FP anymore.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #19
the_matrix_walker

I agree. This is one of the rare instances that I disagree with a "Krommnote" (so to speak). I prefer my own breakdown. Using half those values for fatigue thresholds rather than HP. Sounds like I have something nice for my house-rule book anyway.

Maintaining a festering wound for the sake of your powers.... that's a pretty nasty situation

With the Kromm version though, it might be cool to make combat abilities tied to fatigue use, so that once you've used extra effort x number of times, then your "finishing move" or "Secret weapon" becomes available. Your fatigue use get's double duty, balanced by the need to wait through the "preparation" mundane fatigue burn.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 03-23-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Tags
accessibility, fatigue, hit points, limitation