Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
Onkl

Default Die Wacht: Encounters, Opponents, Traps

Hi guys

In my cinematic, post-apocalyptic campaign Endzeit my players have found a place not quite unlike "Rapture" known from the Computergame Bioshock. Now, the place I am talking about is not Rapture - but it was the last sanctuary those crazy german nazi scientists had after being cast out of Germany and then later on South-america.

This place is called "Die Wacht" (The watch, in the sense of guarding something) and was built for only one purpose: Getting Hitlers soul back from hell to our world.

"Die Wacht" is built completely submerged and is only reachable by submarine. It is a massive structure that is divided in one main area, the "Wacht" itself and five towers, even deeper under the sea. The towers should be themed somehow logical. One might be the engineering tower while another might be the living quarters…

"Die Wacht" is supposed to be a mega dungeon and as such, not all areas should be able to be reached from the start. The party's reason for going there is that one of theirs was killed. And they are desperatly looking for a way to return him to the living. I guess you see where I am going with this.

The plan is to have a reincarnated Hitler-Demon be the Endboss of the Megadungeon. I will not even model him now, as this is neither the object of this "delve" nor my intention to let my players have a go at him just yet. What I would love you to help me with is plain and simple ideas, what Encounters could there be? What opponents (I see them ranging from demons to undead nazis to bio-engineered aryan Übermenschen) could there be? What traps? The structure is TL9^ - but don't let that hold you back...

Nothing is too crazy for this specific location so if you have an idea and some time, please hack it into your keyboard and post it here.

It is much appreciated.

Cheers!

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Die Wacht: Encounters, Opponents, Traps

Insidious Nazi propaganda, which threatens to turn PCs against the party.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:49 AM   #3
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Insidious Nazi propaganda, which threatens to turn PCs against the party.
Nice, I am playing with GURPS. How would you model that? Hourly resistance rolls that gets lowered over time. Then, what happens? Can the PCs do something to counter it?

I really want to make this a strange one... for example, instead of an elevator or train system connecting the different complexes, I want there to be a Kraken called Hermann that communicates via PSI to the players and is - in effect - the Mass Transportation system... it will pick up passengers and put them in his mouth, they must then simply think about where they want to go and Hermann will do it. Frightful if you don't know how it works :)
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Nice, I am playing with GURPS. How would you model that? Hourly resistance rolls that gets lowered over time. Then, what happens? Can the PCs do something to counter it?

I really want to make this a strange one... for example, instead of an elevator or train system connecting the different complexes, I want there to be a Kraken called Hermann that communicates via PSI to the players and is - in effect - the Mass Transportation system... it will pick up passengers and put them in his mouth, they must then simply think about where they want to go and Hermann will do it. Frightful if you don't know how it works :)
I wouldnt do it in totallity, seems a little Cthulu-ish that you slowly go mad.

I would however do it as some device or thing (using really low frequency sound might be fun to do) radiating an Area Affliction, resisted by Will, that will give them Bad Temper, Berserk, Intolerance, or Delusion.

As far as how strange it gets, eveyones idea of strange is a bit different and what kind of strange suits you and your group is of course subjective, but.....

Sumo Wrestlers covered in Nematocysts for some reason immediately comes to mind.

Gene spliced Dog + Shark seems to appeal to me also.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kill...ybrid.jpg.html

A lion turtle has appeal.
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...10-d6m3h63.jpg

Now for the encounters themselves.....

Due to the aging nature of the outerstructure the section that the characters are in is in immediate danger of collapse.

The Atmosphere generators in an area are WAY overproducing oxygen making all open flames in an area severely unpredictable.

There is someting hungry and angry scurrying around in the Air Ducts of the Living Quarters.

In order to overcome <obstacle> one of the PCs must subject themselves to the unproven and bizzare scientific findings in this undersea city.
This might be something as simple as a prototype of 'breathable liquid' as seen in The Abyss movie or here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing

Maybe even a micro sub that will only hold one passenger and place them in the extreme perril of undersea pressures.

Or it might be subjecting themselves to Gene splicing with undersea animals for immediately useful but long term questionable usefulness. Splicing fish DNA for a Nicitating Membrane that will allow them to walk through a poisonous gas.

The Geothermal heat tapped from the ocean floor that is providing the undersea city iwth power has unearthed something Dark and Evil underneath the bottom of the sea and opened a doorway to a world that had long since been hidden.

Several Sections of the Habitat have been experiencing failures in the Habitat controls allowing large sections of the Habitat to take on odd enviromental charachteristics including...
A -40 degree tundra section covered in Ice.
A 40 degree Jungle section, overgrown with exotic and genetically modified flora and fauna
As to the 5 towers, I might suggest

Engingeering/SCience
Living Quarters/Cultural Center
Environmental/Life Support
Government/Military
Food and Manufacturing

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cinematic, endzeit, idea, ideas, post apocalyptic