Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #21
lexington

Default Re: Diffuse + DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
mechanics-wise but not effects-wise. You are suggesting a force field that alters the bodily structure of those inside it to be more impervious to injury.
Uh, no I'm not. The "altering the bodily structure" is purely bit of flavor added to Injury Tolerance. What matters is the effect then you explain where it comes from.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #22
Daigoro

I don't see any problem with the fictional concept of a damage reducing force field- it could be a shadow wall that halves energy of incoming lasers, or a magnetic field which slows down bullets. With the thread I linked to we were playing around with an idea similar to the personal force fields seen in Dune.

The problem is that when you do one in Gurps mechanics, there's always a breakpoint where an external reducing damage layer with internal straight DR will be more cost effective than the opposite order of layers, if you use IT:DR or some other equivalent "lump sum" base cost advantage with a different name.

You could make it an multiplier cost on the DR then, perhaps put it as an extension to the armour Hardening rules, but then it would have a variable cost for each person protected by the field.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #23
cccwebs

The Damage Reducing force field is just DR with Area Effect , Affects Others, and Forcefield. An Injury Reduction force field could be built with the same modifiers, then it would effect any weapon fired from outside the field into the field (and from into the field to outside of it). Apply normal DR first, then apply IT as applicable. Of course, with area effect and forcefield, it becomes useless agaist any attacks wholely inside the field.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #24
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington
Uh, no I'm not. The "altering the bodily structure" is purely bit of flavor added to Injury Tolerance. What matters is the effect then you explain where it comes from.
Yeah. Damage Reduction is not on the short list of traits canonically allowed with Force Field, meaning that it will be up to the GM to determine if it is appropriate. To my mind, if you are allowing unlimited IT:DR in a game, you are probably not going to break anything by allowing it to be used with FF/AE/AO.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #25
Fnordianslip

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
Can you imagine any other kind of injury tolerance force fields? I can't since injury tolerance is all about bodily composition (apologies for ninja edit), and hence wouldn't allow it for damage reduction either.
One alternate explanation would be a probability altering field. So, say you take a headshot for 100 points of damage, the probability altering IT:DR 100 field would make it so, by pure luck, the bullet passed through the absolute least damaging part of your head and thus inflicted a measly one point graze rather than a full blown head splatter. The field doesn't alter the bullets damage, just insures that the final result is way less harmful.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #26
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Affliction (IT:DR) plus Area Effect...?
The Aura of Power meta-modifier from the article of the same name on Pyramid #3/19 is specially build to deal with cases like this...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #27
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Diffuse doesn't have to be a swarm of insects who take minor damage as a few bugs get hit by the bullet. It's a game mechanic that reduces damage from an attack, the why it does this is a special effect.

F'rex: Super hero Invulnerability. 15,000d of damage turns into 2 pts of damage or 1 if the attack is imp or pi. Add 50% Cosmic to shed one rule (area effect bypasses this defense) and as a solid target, drop the protection against being grappled for -20%. 130 pts gives you a near version of Superman style invulnerability. Of course with Superman's ST, he probably has the hit points to take 2 pts of damage per second until the end of the next millennium.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #28
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
So... no Damage Reduction Force Fields? How would you cost one if they were allowed?
Are you asking for a force field that reduces incoming damage before DR is applied? If so, the answer is no, you cannot do that with IT(DR).

It's an Injury Tolerance. Before considering any IT(DR) builds, try replacing IT(DR) with IT(No Blood). Does the build still make sense? (I mean, y'know, more-or-less?) If not, then you're probably not making a legal build.

Examples: "Can I build a No Blood force field?" Doesn't really make sense, so no, you can't do it with IT(DR) either. "Can I build an aura that gives everyone around me No Blood?" Sure, and you can do the same thing with IT(DR).

Currently, GURPS doesn't have a "divide damage before applying DR" trait. I agree that such a trait would be useful, but it would definitely cost a lot more than IT(DR), because it's a huge difference in application. Off the top of my head, I'd say somewhere between 2-5x cost, but being more specific or trying to create such a thing would require me to stop working on something I'm working on (and trust me, you don't want that).

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #29
Orienda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Currently, GURPS doesn't have a "divide damage before applying DR" trait. I agree that such a trait would be useful, but it would definitely cost a lot more than IT(DR), because it's a huge difference in application. Off the top of my head, I'd say somewhere between 2-5x cost, but being more specific or trying to create such a thing would require me to stop working on something I'm working on (and trust me, you don't want that).
It wouldn't be that hard to eyeball out the equivalence. Any DR that works with the IT(DR) field costs the multiplier times as much (So with IT(DR) 3, DR costs 3 times as much). Since every 50 pts doubles the effective DR of worn armor, you add a +100%/lvl for every 10 pts of max DR armor can provide, or just pick an arbitrary amount based on the best armor currently available. This should be just about totally functionally identical to a point or two of damage.
Orienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #30
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
No, it should cost about the same per level as Cosmic (no minimum damage) -- in effect Cosmic (no minimum) gives something functionally very similar to DR 1 that applies after reduction, and you can multiply it by x10 for 225 points, so you should be able to multiply DR by 10 for 225 points as well. The trick is how to come up with a proper base cost.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage resistance, diffuse, swarm