Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Does Reliable work with Healing Advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Technically two or more powers from the same source. I would suggest Telepathy 1 [5] and Empathy [15]
Yes, that would be legal. It would be gaming the system a bit though. Also, you run the risk of running into whatever limit the GM sets for Energy Reserve - even Dungeon Fantasy has a limit (which is 20) and that's probably the limit for most cinematic games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
I'd allow Healing with Ranged and Reliable, on the grounds that I would not apply Reliable to the roll to hit, only to the IQ roll to heal, because, as you said, Reliable is incompatible with Ranged, so it only applies to the other roll.
Same.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 07-29-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #12
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
ER for one ability only gives that reduction if you have two or more abilities.
I'd take that as "two or more abilities that require FP to use". The power might have a bunch of abilities that don't need the ER in the first place, in which case "One Ability Only" would fall into the disad-that's-not-disadvantageous category.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I'd take that as "two or more abilities that require FP to use". The power might have a bunch of abilities that don't need the ER in the first place, in which case "One Ability Only" would fall into the disad-that's-not-disadvantageous category.
That's a fair reading, but if the campaign has power stunts it should still be able to amp up a non FP-powered ability normally.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Reflexive, +40%;
Self-Healing, +50%;
Xenohealing, +100%
about these two components..

You could probably make this a bit cheaper by using "Alternative Enhancements" rules (PU4p18). SelfHealing could be reduced to 1/5 cost (+10%) by being alternative enhancement to Xenohealing, since you'd never need both at the same time.

All that would take to switch between them is a free action at the start of the turn, so it would only cause complications if you had Compartmentalized Mind and were able to do multiple concentrates per second to heal both yourself and some alien.

Quote:
Reflexive, +40%;
This includes one level of Reduced Time which I guess allows healing as a free action since it's not an attack?

It makes me wonder how this would work in terms of targets though. If it's supposed to be a defence then would it only be able to reflexively heal yourself but not others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I'm now imagining someoen adding "Costs Fatigue" to some throwaway perk-power for the purpose of getting a bigger discount
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #15
AlexanderHowl

You do not even need to do that. You could take Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage, Immunity to STDs, +50%; All-Out Attack, -25%; Costs ER, 10 ER, -55%; Melee, C, No Parry, -35%; Takes Recharge, 1 hour, -30%) [2].
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #16
Rupert

Quote:
Technically two or more powers from the same source. I would suggest Telepathy 1 [5] and Empathy [15]
Unless I'm mistaken, Empathy doesn't use FP. If so, I'd no be allowing a single-power only ER for Healing with Empathy as the other power in that source, because there's no actual disadvantage from the ER being single-power only, making it a rort.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:36 PM   #17
Plane

Quote:
All-Out Attack, -25%
The writeup for this limitation on PU8p11 is kinda strange, it mentions not using it with any other maneuver but uses "Move" and "Change Posture" as examples...

Are there even any abilities that use Change Posture?

I think stuff like Flight you could use Move or Move and Attack with...

But a lot of abilities use "Ready" or "Concentrate" ...

Both of those are 1-step maneuvers and AOA allows you to move up to half your move, which in a way could be a serious advantage despite the loss of defences, if you were wanting to use abilities while traveling quickly:
All-Out isn’t just for attack abilities – you can add it to any
advantage that requires a maneuver to use (typically Concen-
trate or Ready), replacing the standard maneuver with All-Out
Attack.
The strange thing about "Concentrate" being used in that example is the "All-Out Concentrate" limitation directly below it also being valued at -25%.

"suitable only for abilities that normally require a Concentrate maneuver to
use"

I guess that means that either of these -25% limitations could be taken for a "Concentrate" ability such as healing. Both having their ups and downs:

1) AOA Healing : can move faster
2) AOC Healing : get the +1 bonus

So that the AOA limitation isn't actually enhancing these abilities (by adding 1/2 move) it would make sense to allow All-Out Readies for maneuvers activated with readies.

As for abilities activated with concentrate... I think maybe it should just always be an option to take 1/2 move instead of the +1 to rolls?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
healing, reliable