Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
Cthugha

Default [Powers] [Horror] Designing not-quite-insubstatiality

Clairsentience allows you to combine Aware with Projection. What will you say (from both RaW and common sense standpoints) about adding Aware to Insubstantiality or Warp with Projection enhancement?

Further questions will use modifiers from Horror:

Second question: IT:Diffuse with Infiltration. It's not very clear how long can you remain in the "infiltrating" condition. Can you seep through the 100' ventilation shaft which is to small to accommodate your normal form? Will it be reasonable to add modifiers for "finite thickness" from Permeation, and will you add it to entire advantage (IT:Diffuse, Infiltration +40%, Finite thickness 1" -30%) or to the Infiltration enhancement (IT:Diffuse, Infiltration(Finite thickness 1" -30%)+28% )?

And finally, how will you stat character who do not enjoy benefits of IT:Diffuse in his normal (social, combat, whatever) form but can Infiltrate? Misty limitation from Horror looks like it but it adds additional complications (half Move) and is not very clear itself - are you restricted to the horizontal movement or not?

Same goes for Scatter - how much it will cost to Scatter without having IT:Diffuse when you are not scattered, and without ability to inflict thr cr damage in the swarm form? Well, second question seems obvious (since Body of swarm gives you ability to turn into fighting swarm, you should buy Scatter without buying Body of Swarm), but it's forbidden by RaW. And I have no idea how to stat IT:diffuse (not diffuse when whole but can scatter).

Last edited by Cthugha; 06-18-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Cthugha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:28 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [Powers][Horror]Designing not-quite-insubstatiality

1. Only When Using (Other Power) is the modifier here.

2. The only clear limitation is if you need to breathe, and that limits your range to how far you can move while holding your breath.

3. Permeation (Porous Materials).

4. Pay the point value of Scatter by itself, name it something else, and call it good.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:36 AM   #3
Cthugha

Thanks for input on 4. Looks like it's the simplest way to do it. About others:

1. I meant to ask about someone who have only one projection ability. Clairsentience (Projection +x%, Aware +40%) is in the RaW. What will you say about Insubstantiality(Projection -50%, Aware +40%) or Warp (Projection -50%, Aware +40%)?

2. Sorry, in my third paragraph I wanted to talk about IT:Diffuse with Infiltration, but half of the time called it Permeation so it came out mangled. So now it at least says what I wanted to say, if you re-read it, but the main question - how great is a distance someone can Infiltrate (not permeate).

3. Same here - Permeation (porous materials) is not the same as IT:diffuse with Infiltration, However I suppose I can go the same route as with Scatter - call it separate 40-points trait (since IT:Diffuse is 100 points Infiltration is +40% and new trait does not provide you with any form of Injury Tolerance)
Cthugha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthugha View Post
2. Sorry, in my third paragraph I wanted to talk about IT:Diffuse with Infiltration, but half of the time called it Permeation so it came out mangled. So now it at least says what I wanted to say, if you re-read it, but the main question - how great is a distance someone can Infiltrate (not permeate).

3. Same here - Permeation (porous materials) is not the same as IT:diffuse with Infiltration, However I suppose I can go the same route as with Scatter - call it separate 40-points trait (since IT:Diffuse is 100 points Infiltration is +40% and new trait does not provide you with any form of Injury Tolerance)
2. Infiltration does not seem to have a maximum distance - if you can fit through an opening that size then you can fit through, and how far you are fitting through is a non-issue. Maybe limited range would be appropriate?

3. A 40 point trait makes sense, since "No ability" seems like a -100% modifier normally. So "Infiltration only -60%" works well for IT: Diffuse.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthugha View Post
Thanks for input on 4. Looks like it's the simplest way to do it. About others:

1. I meant to ask about someone who have only one projection ability. Clairsentience (Projection +x%, Aware +40%) is in the RaW. What will you say about Insubstantiality(Projection -50%, Aware +40%) or Warp (Projection -50%, Aware +40%)?
I'm quite OK with them. They're more expensive point bumpers than on Clairsentience, but I think they're more useful too so it works.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diffuse, infiltration, injury tolerance, swarm