Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2021, 04:45 AM   #1
Greg 1

Default First time GMing GURPS Online

I'm probably going to be GMing a GURPS game online, over Skype or Zoom.

I have never GMed anything online. I'm barely computer literate.

Advice please?
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:15 AM   #2
mirrorscope

Default Re: First time GMing GURPS Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
I'm probably going to be GMing a GURPS game online, over Skype or Zoom.

I have never GMed anything online. I'm barely computer literate.

Advice please?
Keep it simple. I recommend Zoom (audio is better IMO), but otherwise stick to what you know: books, paper, dice. Only layer in more tech if you think the juice is worth the squeeze. Got a handout to show the players? Turn on your camera and hold the handout up so they can see it.

You got enough to do to prepare and run the game. Only bring in as much tech as you feel you need.
mirrorscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Yeah, for the first time, keep it simple.

It can be worth it to try out the technology before game night with someone you can speak to directly. It will help you get used to the tech and work out any tedious issues.

logging on a few minutes early helps start on time when someone has the inevitable microphone problems.

A voice program with chat is all my group needs. We started out on roll20, but moved to discord to improve audio quality, and never looked back: we don't use the tabletop grid functionality.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:13 AM   #4
Dr. Beckenstein

I'll second mirrorscopes adivce to keep it simple, but I suggest to give jitsi meet a try.
No registration (or advanced computer skills) required, you just open a "room" on the webpage and invite your players by mailing the URL to them. Our group uses it for our Shadowrun and Gurps rounds, and it works with PCs, tablets and smart phones.

The main difference between On-line and "real life rounds" is that it is a little bit more different to "understand" each other, even if you have your cameras activated. Be aware that you may have to explain more and ask more "how do you mean that?" to the other players.
As always, communication is the key to success. :-)
Old 10-22-2021, 07:30 AM   #5
Mr_Sandman

I run a game on zoom. I find it pretty simple, with good quality audio and video. Starting out simple is great advice. Just work it like you’re around a table in person. Stick with physical dice instead of dice rolling apps/ websites, etc. You’ll be limited to theater of the mind combat, but that works for a lot of groups.

If you do use Zoom, it can be worthwhile to experiment and get comfortable with the “share screen” function, before you try to use it in a session. It can be fun to use for showing images, and you can use the whiteboard to sketch out quick maps.

There can be some confusion when people talk over each other online, so as GM you’ll want to discourage cross talk, and make a little extra effort to make sure everyone gets a chance to speak.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #6
Shostak

I'll add my voice for the simplicity of Zoom. I've found it more stable than Discord on my not-so-great, rural internet service. You can share files in the chat, so handouts that you take a photo of are more like handouts.

If you use a virtual tabletop for tactical situations, you don't need much. I use Roll20 and import drawings I've made for tactical maps (and then drop a hex grid on them), and simple character tokens. These days, VTTs boast a lot of bells and whistles that make the experience more like a video game, and, frankly, that is way more than I want.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:18 PM   #7
Greg 1

Has anyone had trouble including all the players at once on Zoom? I wonder if I should expect crashes if I try to include too many.
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #8
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
Has anyone had trouble including all the players at once on Zoom? I wonder if I should expect crashes if I try to include too many.
I’ve run video GURPS sessions on zoom with six participants without any trouble. Zoom is regularly used for large group meetings and whatnot, so an RPG group won’t push it too hard. (Obviously individual internet connections are relevant too.)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:11 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I’ve run video GURPS sessions on zoom with six participants without any trouble. .)
My experience as well. The host will need "paid for" Zoom. The free version of the app limits you to 40 minutes per day.

I have also had decent success with Facebook and it's "rooms" though some invitees could not seem to find it. With Facebook you can also createa group and use it for general co-ordination as well as a place to upload files. We have one and sue it for that even when we chat on zoom.

Do budget time for straightening out technical difficulties. They're pretty much inevitable and probably for at least half your group.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:47 AM   #10
cvannrederode

I'll throw my hat in the ring for Discord. Our server is free and there's no limit on times and participants. In a addition, I have several text channels set up with different permissions for character sheet uploads and such (including one dedicated to memes, cause that's the kind of group we are).

Also included is a dice-bot and a dedicated channel.

We've even had players join over the phone app while driving.

If the OP or anyone needs help setting a discord server up, or wants to see how ours is setup, let me know!
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
online, online gurps skype rpg