Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
kirbwarrior

Default Afflicting Perks/Quirks

So, the way math is done, if I make an affliction that gives the target a quirk, it costs more than stunning would. Now, it's only a matter of a point, but it made me think; If all I'm doing is giving them a quirk, that sounds fair that (since it replaces stunning) it could just be a feature (or +0%) on affliction. Does this sound fair?

My main thought was that Stunning is +10% when I add that onto another affliction. A quirk is less than that, by quite a bit. If the above is fair, would it also be fair for perks? Or anything else worth +10%? (Mostly would want that with perks)

Thanks ahead of time.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Afflicting Perks/Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
So, the way math is done, if I make an affliction that gives the target a quirk, it costs more than stunning would. Now, it's only a matter of a point, but it made me think; If all I'm doing is giving them a quirk, that sounds fair that (since it replaces stunning) it could just be a feature (or +0%) on affliction. Does this sound fair?

My main thought was that Stunning is +10% when I add that onto another affliction. A quirk is less than that, by quite a bit. If the above is fair, would it also be fair for perks? Or anything else worth +10%? (Mostly would want that with perks)

Thanks ahead of time.
I am given to understand that you can only add perks|features via affliction of an alternate form that includes those things, rather than afflicting them directly. (Perks aren't Advantages. Quirks aren't Disadvantages. There isn't a "Perk" or "Quirk" or "Feature" enhancement for Affliction that I'm aware of. However, Alternate Form is an Advantage and can include such things as perks, quirks and features on the alternate template.)

As for quirks? They work out to being mind control or forced shape shifting. I'd require the afflictor to afflict the disadvantage the quirk is based on -- where one exists --, or to afflict an alternate form in cases where the quirk isn't a mild form of an existing disadvantage or the ability is already afflicting an alternate form.

Perks, Quirks, Features ... They tend to have effects all out of proportion to their (lack of a) point value.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
(Perks aren't Advantages. Quirks aren't Disadvantages. ...)
I am pretty sure that Quirks are disadvantages as perks are advantages.

I believe the defining thing that makes something a disadvantage is costing negative character points. For example, an ST less than racial average is a disadvantage as I understand it.

True, there are trivial advantages and disadvantages, but they are still members of their respective classes.

Am I wrong?
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Dalren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Characters pg. 100
A “perk” is a very minor advantage, worth only 1 point. Perks cannot be modified with enhancements or limitations, and they can be added in play without upsetting game balance. Otherwise, perks use the same rules as other advantages.
On the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Characters pg. 162
A “quirk” is a minor feature that sets you aside from others. It has a negative point value, but it is not necessarily a disadvantage.
Dalren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Features ... They tend to have effects all out of proportion to their (lack of a) point value.
You do need Alternate Form for features, but I'm pretty sure you can just slap people with perks and quirks.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
Ashtagon

Do the rule books distinguish between an "advantage" and an "Advantage"?
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
Do the rule books distinguish between an "advantage" and an "Advantage"?
Um, yes? An Advantage is something you purchase with points from the Advantages section of the rulebook. An advantage is some benefit you have over an opponent in a given situation.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #8
Not

The German edition of Gurps must be confusing as heck.
Not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalren View Post
On the other hand...
You changed the emphasis. It's: "not necessarily a disadvantage."

Disadvantages in GURPS restrict the way you can play your character so both Greed and the example "insists on being paid in gold" are restrictions, with the quirk being a very minor restriction.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
The German edition of Gurps must be confusing as heck.
Sure it was, but not for capitalisation issues. It was very badly translated and may rest in peace. I wouldn't mind seeing a decent 4th Edition upgrade, but I guess English literacy is just too high among the target audience to make it worthwhile.

Back on topic, I think the pricing for inflicting quirks and perks is okay-ish in the context of Affliction. You would probably want to inflict quirks that are going to complement something your party does to make this make any sense. Inflicting "Has a thing for redheads." is quite good when your character has Classic Features: Redhead. Quirk-level versions of Bad Temper, Greed, Phobias and other disadvantages can also be pretty effective to subtly nudge an important NPC. You just wouldn't waste something on fodder, though. Likewise you could get useful exotic perks you couldn't otherwise get.

Not that making perk/quirk infliction cost +0% is ever going to break your campaign, kirbwarrior. Unless you are planning to use some extremely weird builds I can't even think of.
Blind Mapmaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, powers