Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
b-dog

Default [DF] How much damage could a parry actually block?

I am curious about how much damage a parry could actually block. Does anyone have the pages where to find this? I am thinking that giants would be able to inflict damage upon a man-sized PC even though the PC makes his parry roll...a little sword vs a giants club and the giants power would be deflected by the parry but the club would likely still know the PC down..thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: [DF] How much damage could a parry actually block?

By RAW, a parry can only be overcome by a sufficiently heavy weapon - if the attacking weapon is x3 as heavy as the parrying one, it has a chance to break the defending weapon. It gets very odd for unarmed attacks, and there are a few threads trying to piece out a solution to this.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
SuedodeuS

No page number, as GURPS doesn't do this - instead there are three modes - can parry, can parry but risks breakage (percentage, not damage), and cannot parry at all. These categories are divided based on weight ratios. The justification is that a Parry isn't just interposing the weapon - instead it's actually brushing the attacking weapon aside. There's technically another division, where something can't be parried because it exceeds BL (or 2x BL for two-handers).
Old 09-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I am curious about how much damage a parry could actually block. Does anyone have the pages where to find this? I am thinking that giants would be able to inflict damage upon a man-sized PC even though the PC makes his parry roll...a little sword vs a giants club and the giants power would be deflected by the parry but the club would likely still know the PC down..thanks.
There are rules for this, though they may be a bit too generous in favor of the defender when it comes to unarmed damage. See p. B376.

A "little sword" -- i.e., shortsword -- weighs 2 lbs. So it has a 2-in-6 chance of breaking when parrying a 6 lb. (or heavier) weapon. This means even a small giant's club, or an unarmed giant with ST 60, could break the sword in theory. However, the parry still counts. For the parry to not even count, the breakage odds have to be 7-in-6 or higher -- which means a 16 lb. (or heavier) weapon -- so a pretty big club or an unarmed giant with ST 160. And yes, any GM who included such a giant in his game is a damned sadist.

So if you want this to happen, the key is to give your giants large weapons. I have a page on the matter here that might help, or you could just extrapolate from Tiny Tools in DF3.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 09-13-2010 at 12:18 AM.
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
So if you want this to happen, the key is to give your giants large weapons. I have a page on the matter here that might help, or you could just extrapolate from Tiny Tools in DF3.
Broken link - you put it as a_minst instead of r_minst. A great resource, of course - I have it bookmarked on my other machine.

If you dislike the n-in-6 rules, an alternative would be to make it such that succeeding (or failing) your Parry by a very small margin results in the weapon itself being struck as per an attack on the weapon. This would result in a lot more weapon breakage than normal play! As for "being too heavy to Parry" without breaking your weapon (or exceeding BL, which should break your weapon), you could opt to give a penalty to Blocks and Parries against attacks from weapons with various fractions of BL (-2 at 1/4 BL, -4 at 1/2, -6 at 3/4, -8 at BL, impossible thereafter, could work).
Also, basing unarmed "attack weight" on BL/20 seems to scale better than ST/10.