Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Default [3e, SW] AT-AT

AT-AT

Subassemblies: Body +6, Head +4, Armored Passage Tube +0, four Legs +4.
Powertrain: 450-kW Leg Drivetrain with 500-kW Nuclear Power Unit (5 year lifespan); 108,000-kWs Rechargeable Power Cell for blaster cannons.
Occupancy: 5 RCS, 40 NPS
Cargo: 2,000 kg (88 cf.)

Armor
All: 4/350 except Passage Tube (4/200). Radiation PF 100.

Weaponry:
2xTL11 Heavy Blaster Rifles [Body:F] (240 shots each).*
2xTL11 Blaster Rifles [Body:L,R] (240 shots each).
*Fire linked.

Equipment:
Head: 5,000-mile medium-range communicator with scrambler; 50,000-mile long range communicator with scrambler; radio jammer (-5; 5-mile), 10-mile PESA (Scan 17), 10-mile AESA (Scan 17), 100x telescope (+6/+12); 10-mile radscanner; inertial navigation system, IFF, HUDWAC (-5 to SS), laser rangefinder, laser/radar detector, three hardened minicomputers (Complexity 6) with three terminals and Targeting program, full fire suppression system; computerized controls, three crashwebs, 5-man environmental control, five NBC kits, hardpoints with universal mounts for port and starboard weapons. Body: Two full fire suppression systems (upper and lower decks); 40 crashwebs; 40-man environmental control; 40-man NBC kit, workshop; automed; two forcelocks; vehicle bay for five speeder bikes; cargo bay. Overall: Sealed, basic IR cloaking.

Statistics:
Size: 20 m. x?x 15 m. Payload: 8.5 tons Lwt.: 44.73 tons
Volume: 8,276 cf. Maint.: 14.5 hours Price: $1,911,387

HT: 12. HPs: 5574 Body, 1341 Head, 45 Passage Tube, 757 each Leg.

gSpeed: 37.5 gAccel: 2.5 gDecel: 20 gMR: 0.75 gSR: 4
Ground Pressure: Low. 4/5 Off-Road speed.

Design Notes:
Body is 5,452 cf; Head is 643 cf; Passage Tube is 4 cf; Legs are 2,181 cf. Structure is Heavy, Standard. Armor is Advanced Metal (durasteel); it offers a radiation PF of 100 (p. VE167). Sealed. Computerized controls. Design gSpeed was 38.1 mph; the "historical" value is shown above. The alternate rule for calculating gAccel for legged vehicles (p. VE129) was ignored to represent the lumbering nature of legged vehicles in the Star Wars universe, however for GMs wishing to have the higher accelerations, gAccel is 13/11 (over/under 30 mph). The NPU produces an extra 22 kW which can be used to recharge the power cell for the blaster cannons.
The passage tube was designed by compressing a 100' armored passage tube (p. VE69) down to 10'. Weight and cost were kept the same, volume was divided by 10, and DR was multiplied by 10. While not completely accurate, it was a simple solution.
This design was created with a Structure First design path as the vehicle is mostly empty space. Measurements were taken both from a 2-D drawing in the Dark Force Rising sourcebook, and from a 3-D model. Both systems arrived at roughly the same volumes for the body and head. However, there is some discrepancy about the actual height of an AT-AT; this design assumes 15 meters, although some sources claim a height of 22 meters. Even at this smaller stature, there is a great deal of available space in the design.

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com

Last edited by Phaelen Bleux; 01-22-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added sealed, IR
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
gjc8

Default Re: [3e, SW] AT-AT

The weapons seem rather light. They did destroy the power generators quite easily. I think the heavier guns should probably be vehicle scale. It's possible they usually fire at reduced strength (note how the gunner sets them to "maximum firepower" before attacking the generator) to reduce energy draw. Bigger guns and a larger energy bank would take up some of that empty space. I know you're relying on the WEG stats, but in this case it doesn't seem to fit with movie performance.

Also, IRC, some can carry 2 AT-STs instead of the speed bikes, which might take up more of the empty space.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Phaelen Bleux

Using 3e rules for TL9 blasters with 2 TLs of improvement, the heavy blaster rifles do inflict 28d+1 imp. I had considered using starship particle beams from Space, but a single small P-beam took up 500 cf!

I have to admit, I am a little torn on the subject too, but again decided that since Hoth Troopers were not instantly vaporized when shot, the weapons can't be too strong. It doesn't help to explain how they blew up the shielded power generators--maybe General Veers rolled a critical success :)

My in-house solution is this: personal hand weapons are treated as tight-beam weapons (1/3 damage with armor divisor 4), but vehicle weapons are not. That allows Jar-Jar to be shot with a blast rifle from a stormtrooper and from an AT-AT and have the effects be dramatically different. So in the former case, unarmored, he'd take 9d imp, and in the latter 28d.

The AT-STs are carried in place of the troops--but there would still be plenty of space for all three things . . .

Old 02-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Phaelen Bleux

My redesign, with a lot more stomp:

KDY AT-AT (TL11)
Powertrain: 4,000-kW Leg Drivetrain with 4,500-kW Nuclear Power Unit (5 year lifespan); 106,789,200-kWs Rechargeable Power Cell for blaster cannons.
Occupancy: 5 RCS, 40 NPS
Cargo: 2,000 kg (88 cf.)

Armor
All: 4/3,500 except Passage Tube (4/2,000). Radiation PF 1,000,000.

Weaponry:
2xTL11 Heavy Blaster Cannons [Body:F] (150 shots each).*
2xTL11 Medium Blaster Cannons [Body:L,R] (300 shots each).
*Fire linked.

Equipment:
Head: 5,000-mile medium-range communicator with scrambler; 50,000-mile long range communicator with scrambler; radio jammer (-5; 5-mile), 10-mile PESA (Scan 17), 10-mile AESA (Scan 17), 100x telescope (+6/+12); 10-mile radscanner; inertial navigation system, IFF, HUDWAC (-5 to SS), laser rangefinder, laser/radar detector, three hardened minicomputers (Complexity 6) with three terminals and Targeting program, full fire suppression system; computerized controls, three crashwebs, 5-man environmental control, five NBC kits, hardpoints with universal mounts for port and starboard weapons. Body: Two full fire suppression systems (upper and lower decks); 40 crashwebs; 40-man environmental control; 40-man NBC kit, workshop; automed; two forcelocks; vehicle bay for five speeder bikes; cargo bay. Overall: Sealed, basic IR cloaking.

Statistics:
Size: 20 m. x?x 15 m. Payload: 8.5 tons Lwt.: 389 tons
Volume: 8,276 cf. Maint.: 7.5 hours Price: $6,952,626

HT: 12. HPs: 11152 Body, 2682 Head, 90 Passage Tube, 1514 each Leg.

gSpeed: 37.5 gAccel: 2.5 gDecel: 20 gMR: 0.75 gSR: 4
Ground Pressure: Very High. 1/3 Off-Road speed.

Design Notes:
Body is 5,452 cf; Head is 643 cf; Passage Tube is 4 cf; Legs are 2,181 cf. Structure is Extra-Heavy, Standard. Armor is Expensive Metal (durasteel); it offers a radiation PF of 1,000,000 (p. VE167). Sealed. Computerized controls. Design gSpeed was 38.5 mph; the "historical" value is shown above. The alternate rule for calculating gAccel for legged vehicles (p. VE129) was ignored to represent the lumbering nature of legged vehicles in the Star Wars universe, however for GMs wishing to have the higher accelerations, gAccel is 13/11 (over/under 30 mph). The NPU produces an extra 473 kW which can be used to recharge the power cell for the blaster cannons.
The passage tube was designed by compressing a 100' armored passage tube (p. VE69) down to 10'. Weight and cost were multiplied by 10, volume was divided by 10, and DR was multiplied by 100. While not completely accurate, it was a simple solution.
This design was created with a Structure First design path as the vehicle is mostly empty space. Measurements were taken both from a 2-D drawing in the Dark Force Rising sourcebook, and from a 3-D model. Both systems arrived at roughly the same volumes for the body and head. However, there is some discrepancy about the actual height of an AT-AT; this design assumes 15 meters, although some sources claim a height of 22 meters. Even at this smaller stature, there is a great deal of available space in the design.
Stats for the blaster cannons are as follows:
Heavy Blaster Cannon: SS 30, Acc 22, 1/2D 7100, Max 21000, RoF 1, Damage 6dx60(4) or 6dx180.
Medium Blaster Cannon: SS 25, Acc 19, 1/2D 3000, Max 8900, RoF 2, Damage 6dx25(4) or 6dx75.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Kissamies

Quote:
this design assumes 15 meters, although some sources claim a height of 22 meters. Even at this smaller stature, there is a great deal of available space in the design.
Yes, the 15 meters comes from WEG sourcebooks mainly, I think. The 22 meters comes for scaling onscreen material, as seen here. 30 meters is also an estimate I've seen somewhere, but I'd go for the 22. That site is a good read for projects like these. Here's another.

I think I'd make the medium cannons bit more rapid fire, and the heavy cannons maybe 1/2. Haven't watched the movies in a while, though.
Kissamies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
David Johansen

The shield covered the entire base. They walked through the shield before making the attack. All StarWars brand generators are highly volitile and prone to exploding at the least impact. There's also the entire "vulnerable parts in highly accessible places" design paradim to consider.

Anakin does the same thing to the Trade Federation battle ship in episode I.

I think it's safe to say that StarWars shields can handle smaller physical stuff like missles but bigger stuff overloads the system. Alternately this might explain the dominance of fighters in the setting. It may be that shields can be controlled tightly enough to let fighters pass while intercepting other attacks. Fighters carry ship buster proton torpedos and need to get inside the shields to fire them.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
omeyer

Looking at this, I wonder if the AT-AT should be a tank or an armored personnel carrier. It carries twice as many troops as an AAV-7, three times as many as a M113, and seven times as many as a Bradley. It is armed with multiple weapons, and they are relatively small compared to the total vehicle.

Of course a 400-ton APC is just right if you want to stress the full might of the Imperium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
Body is 5,452 cf; Head is 643 cf; Passage Tube is 4 cf; Legs are 2,181 cf.
No need to build the passage tube as a separate subassembly, unless you really want to.
  • You could interpret the head as a turret with limited rotation, mounted forward. Hitting the thinner tube armor could be the narrative of a critical hit.
  • If you allow a tiny little house rule, the articulated body from Vehicles Expansion 1 could be used with legs (the printed rules say tracks, halftracks and wheels only).
Quote:
106,789,200-kWs Rechargeable Power Cell for blaster cannons.
How about multiple cells, so each gun can keep firing if the main power is lost?
Quote:
Armor
All: 4/3,500 except Passage Tube (4/2,000). Radiation PF 1,000,000.
How about thinner belly armor? That gives heroic rebels a chance if they risk getting stomped.
Quote:
Equipment:
  • I'm wondering about the sensor range. Nominal ranges are against size +4 targets, so this will detect individual rebels only at a mile or two. Bug or feature?
  • I'd really mount rearview sensors.
  • An optical telescope rather than a LLTV?
  • Some redundancy for the nav gear would be nice.
  • Who needs a radar/laser detector without the "advanced" option?
  • With NBC kits, environmental controls are just backups. Their function is covered by the NBC kit. However, I'd mount some sort of life support.
  • What kind of weapon mount are those "hardpoints"? Hardpoints are for bombs and missiles. Do you mean open mounts? If so, they're subassemblies.
  • The workshop seems excessive.
  • Vehicle bays fit one specific subcraft, not five.
Quote:
Computerized controls.
No duplicates?
Quote:
The NPU produces an extra 473 kW which can be used to recharge the power cell for the blaster cannons.
I found it useful to list how fast one shot gets recharged.
Quote:
This design was created with a Structure First design path as the vehicle is mostly empty space.
Expansion 1 has rules for occupant access space, like aisles. Roomy seats with superior access for the armored troopers would solve much of your problem.
omeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
Phaelen Bleux

Quote:
No need to build the passage tube as a separate subassembly, unless you really want to.
In the lore, it is the Achilles Heel of the machine. So, giving specs helps a GM rule on attacks vs. that area.

Quote:
How about multiple cells, so each gun can keep firing if the main power is lost?
Sure. You could simply consider each gun to be powered separately (that's how I calculated power requirements). But it seems in most vehicle bios the batteries are just lumped together.

Quote:
How about thinner belly armor? That gives heroic rebels a chance if they risk getting stomped.
Cinematically, I'd grant that. But, if you have a belly so high up that you can fly an airspeeder under it, I'd say the belly ought to have pretty good armor. Luke tossed his grenade in through an open hatch, anyways.

Quote:
I'm wondering about the sensor range. Nominal ranges are against size +4 targets, so this will detect individual rebels only at a mile or two. Bug or feature?
I calculated range based on LOS to the horizon at a height of 15 m. I was trying to be scientific. In vehicles, it says most ground vehicles don't bother with sensors greater than 5 miles.

Quote:
I'd really mount rearview sensors.
Aren't rearview mirrors free with the headlights?
But seriously, aren't PESA and AESA 360-degree?

Quote:
An optical telescope rather than a LLTV?
Point taken.

Quote:
Some redundancy for the nav gear would be nice.
OK.

Quote:
Who needs a radar/laser detector without the "advanced" option?
Uh...

Quote:
With NBC kits, environmental controls are just backups. Their function is covered by the NBC kit. However, I'd mount some sort of life support.
Oh. I thought NBC kits were on top of environ control.
Quote:
What kind of weapon mount are those "hardpoints"? Hardpoints are for bombs and missiles. Do you mean open mounts? If so, they're subassemblies.
My bad. OMs it is.

Quote:
The workshop seems excessive.
It's in the lore. I think I remember one of the snowtroopers carrying a band saw.

Quote:
Vehicle bays fit one specific subcraft, not five.
Oops. Shoulda been a hangar bay.

Quote:
No duplicates?
Veers wants his own steering wheel. Check.

Quote:
I found it useful to list how fast one shot gets recharged.

Expansion 1 has rules for occupant access space, like aisles. Roomy seats with superior access for the armored troopers would solve much of your problem.
I'll look into both.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Phaelen Bleux

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeyer View Post
Looking at this, I wonder if the AT-AT should be a tank or an armored personnel carrier. It carries twice as many troops as an AAV-7, three times as many as a M113, and seven times as many as a Bradley. It is armed with multiple weapons, and they are relatively small compared to the total vehicle.

Of course a 400-ton APC is just right if you want to stress the full might of the Imperium.
Well, I can only say that the Empire has a gift for flair. Take the Death Star. Why not just build the super-weapon in a fuselage/hull and mount a hyperdrive on it? Does it really need to be housed in a planetoid-sized space station with meeting halls, elevators, a prison, and hangar bays??

Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
omeyer

Quote:
I calculated range based on LOS to the horizon at a height of 15 m. I was trying to be scientific. In vehicles, it says most ground vehicles don't bother with sensors greater than 5 miles.
I would call that a seriously TL7-ish piece of advice. At higher TLs, sensor ranges have to go up to compensate for stealth and cloaking. And you'd want air raid warning, too.

Quote:
Aren't rearview mirrors free with the headlights?
Yes.

Quote:
But seriously, aren't PESA and AESA 360-degree?
VE168, line-of-sight sensors vs. indirect sensors. Realistically speaking even the 180-degree coverage is generous, but maybe the stats include limited on-mount traverse.

Since sensors can't be mounted back-to-back with zero thickness, even two won't give you 360-degree coverage, but it would take heroic skill levels to exploit that.

Quote:
Oh. I thought NBC kits were on top of environ control.
VE77, first sentence of the NBC kit entry.

Quote:
It's in the lore. I think I remember one of the snowtroopers carrying a band saw.
But is it combat engineer tools or a workshop? A workshop means a workbench with things like a lathe.
omeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3rd edition, star wars, vehicles