Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2023, 09:46 PM   #11
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: What is your favorite genre and how well does GURPS handle it?

Supers is my favorite and GURPS handles it just fine. Better than any of the other super systems I've used. It's really crunchy, which turns some people off of it, but I like it. But, you have to be willing to put the time in to really make the characters and the game.

We did a City of Heroes inspired game in a kit-bashed version of Modiphius' 2d20 system (based off of the Fallout game, with an actual range system) and that was also a hoot.

Beyond that, I like games where "anything goes" which, really, is just supers with the word "super" scratched out and "anything goes" written in, in crayon. Tends to be lower-points, but tends to be a bit wilder. That's, basically, my Infinite Weirdos game, in a nutshell.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 10:18 PM   #12
RGTraynor

Fantasy, and I've been perfectly happy for 38 years now over how GURPS has handled it.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:59 AM   #13
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Beyond that, I like games where "anything goes" which, really, is just supers with the word "super" scratched out and "anything goes" written in, in crayon.
Basically this. "Low-tier supers" if you re-calibrate it to something like "hier-tier pulp adventurers/secret agents".

Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw; 05-22-2023 at 06:03 AM.
SilvercatMoonpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 07:28 AM   #14
Mr_Sandman

My GM attention deficit is too strong. My favorite genre is always the one in which I’ve got an idea to try next.

That said, there are a few that I keep coming back to: Historical or modern day settings with secret magic; Pseudo-medieval (sometimes dungeon-centric) fantasy; Supers, but usually along the lines of ‘people with powers’ rather than superheroes, or some subversion or twist on superhero tropes, and; Science fiction, a favorite sub-genre being on the more grounded, with very limited supertech, working-class in space along the lines of Alien, The Expanse, or 2300AD.

For me, GURPS works as well or better than any other game that I’ve tried for those genres. In particular, I think it’s better for superpowers without comic book tropes and logic than most games designed for supers.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:36 AM   #15
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Dungeon-crawling fantasy, cliffhanging pulp adventure, and bug hunting space opera. I find GURPS quite good for the first (and all the better for the GURPS DF line), very good indeed for the second (very little direct support in 4e but all the pieces are there), and...OK for the third but could be better. The problem I'm having is survivability. The higher the TL, the more it's a rock-paper-scissors contest between technologies with the human element being less and less important. If your armor is this good or better relative to weapons, you'll be unharmed, and if it's not, you're dead, no matter what your stats are. That's absolutely realistic, but I don't want realistic. That said, I don't necessarily want the more blatant kinds of unrealistic I use for cliffhangers. It's a tough niche for me.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 07:48 AM   #16
DemiBenson

1. Fantasy, Adv Fantasy, Clockpunk
  2. Near-Future SciFi

As far as I can tell, it handles them magnificently, even with the older book library I have.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:49 AM   #17
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
My GM attention deficit is too strong. My favorite genre is always the one in which I’ve got an idea to try next.
We share the same disfunction.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:54 AM   #18
the_matrix_walker

My favorite Genre is Supers, followed by high fantasy (to the point that it's effectively fantasy-supers) and superscience SCIFI.

I think GURPS does these areas very well, but needs a few switches and adjustments as the RAW scales poorly for things like super ST.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:46 AM   #19
AOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman View Post
Same here.
Personally I never had problems with any form of Supers with GURPS. Low or high point levels. My personal favorite genre is time travel and alternate earths. Which GURPS handles very well.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:51 AM   #20
Christopher R. Rice

I'll start this out with a negative: for *me* the only genre GURPS doesn't do well is sci-fi. And I think this is a problem for *me* versus the system itself. As a GM I need three things to run a game: a cartograph of all the places a PC might go, a fully realized "tech-tree", and a handle on all the races in the setting. In games whose genre I enjoy (see below), I can usually ignore the first two because, well, modern day. Done. In science fiction games it's much harder for me. The soul exception to this is cyberpunk - emulating that is much easier even if it's more work to start.

I want to reinforce that the above is almost entirely a ME problem, but it still makes it hard for me to run the sorts of games I would like. Note, I LOVE sci-fi. My first real fiction was sci-fi and it has a special place for me. But gaming it is difficult for me.

In order of least favorite of favorites to most favorite of favorites and reasons why...

5) Westerns: My heroes have always been cowboys. That is unlikely to ever change. This one is one I rarely get to run, but I love it nonetheless. Reminds me of watching TV on Saturday with my papa. Exemplar: 3:10 to Yuma.
4) Supers: Definitely from my comic roots this one makes an impact. I am fond of the iron age and trope deconstruction. My current campaign is this and it's modern supers with all kinds of tropes averted or embraced. Exemplar: Ughhh, like all of them. But especially Hulk, Gen 13, Daredevil, and Fantastic Four.
3) Fantasy: Particularly I like high fantasy and dark fantasy and this is REALLY close to number 2. This will be my next campaign. Exemplar: The Belgariad and The Malloreon by David Eddings; Diablo franchise.
2) Horror: Specifically horror where the protagonists are not useless or have some measure of agency or it's just WEIRD. I'm personally a horror nut when it comes to most pop culture and I love gaming that stuff out. Exemplar: It by Stephen King
1) Urban Fantasy: Something about this genre just lights all my fires and really sparks my imagination. Exemplar: The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher or October Daye series by Seanan McGuire.

My campaigns reflect this: 2 are Urban Fantasy, 2 are Fantasy, and 1 is Supers. The last one is hard to define and is most genres all at once and the one that I want to add to my campaign wheel but haven't yet is speculative/weird horror. No westerns for me yet though it influences just about everything I run or write.

I guess that's it. Nice thread, Rory.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote