Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2022, 06:35 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default Armor up!

What sorts of house-rules do folks have around armor? New armor types perhaps, or talents to mitigate penalties?

For my table, I've been working on a new framework for armor w/ expanded options, ST requirements and revised stats. One of the drivers was my previously shared change to shields (see https://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=170198), but my players and I also took issue w/ the way MA was a fixed value based on one's choice of armor and the lack of more nuanced interactions w/ the ST attribute.

Light
ST 5 - CLOTH
Stops 1 hit / -1 DX / $100 (1 week)
ST 6 - LEATHER
Stops 2 hits / -2 DX / $200 (2 weeks)
ST 7 - LAMINAR
Stops 3 hits / -3 DX / $300 (3 weeks)

Medium
ST 8 - REINFORCED LEATHER
Stops 4 hits / -2 DX / -1 MA / $450 (3 weeks)
ST 9 - CHAIN
Stops 5 hits / -3 DX / -1 MA / $600 (4 weeks)
ST 10 - SCALE
Stops 6 hits / -4 DX / -1 MA / $750 (5 weeks)

Heavy
ST 11 - BRIGANDINE
Stops 7 hits / -3 DX / -2 MA / $1000 (4 weeks)
ST 12 - HALF-PLATE
Stops 8 hits / -4 DX / -2 MA / $1500 (6 weeks)
ST 13 - FULL PLATE*
Stops 9 hits / -5 DX / -2 MA / $2500 (10 weeks)

*Full Plate that is specifically designed for use by mounted warriors is known as Calvary Plate. The cost is slightly higher ($3000) and attacks or actions from horseback use a lower DX penalty (-4) if the wearer has the EXPERT HORSEMANSHIP talent.

Notes:
The MA penalties are based on the lower scale that I use (i.e. Base MA = 1/2 RAW MA). Thus, those penalties would be doubled if applied to RAW.

All armors in my game are custom-made and fitted, hence the jump in base costs and the listed number of weeks in parentheses to complete.

DX and MA penalties may be reduced by talents or high ST. Decrease the DX penalty by 1 if ST exceeds the ST requirement by 3 points. MA is reduced by 1 for every 5 ST over the required amount. Like weapons, a figure may attempt to wear armor above their ST, but the penalties are increased (still working out the exact details of this).

Instead of reducing DX or MA penalties directly, *fine* quality armor will reduce minimum ST requirement by one (this is a new idea I'm testing for *fine* weapons as well).

The ST requirements above are based on 1-hex figure, but I also have these armors scaled from half-hex to 3-hex size figures.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-07-2022 at 07:06 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote