Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
jason taylor

Default Re: [Star Trek] Klingon Template

[QUOTE=Faolyn;1108829

I disagree with Callous. Personally, I reserve that for my "evil" monsters and races, and klingons do show love and care for others, just with a large amount of "honor and duty" thrown over it that tends to overshadow it. Even the augments seemed to be like that--IIRC, in "Day of the Dove," the lead klingon appeared to care quite deeply for his wife. Although they admittedly are a lot less honor-bound than other klingons. But perhaps an Intolerance to "soft" races like humans and vulcans would do just as well.

[/QUOTE]

Klingons never struck me as completely callous, even the most hard-core ones. They probably do have less restraint about violence whether or not they have contempt for soft races(the last varies from Klingon to Klingon though it is obviously not unknown to say the least). The later is not necessary either; they might think humans honorable enemies even if some of them are tin-pot dictators with delusions of godhood.

Last edited by jason taylor; 01-20-2011 at 09:34 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
Centisteed

Looks good. When I first heard about this
"augmentation" thing, I really balked at the
idea. Why would anyone need to explain
the difference in appearance other than
that TOS had cheaper effects due to
being made in the 60s?

With the current Star Trek on a reboot
& the aliens looking more realistic, does
this mean they'll augment virus a whole
ton of aliens in the future to retcon an
explanation?

But this GURPS treatment of TOS is
really interesting. I got that FASA(?)
Star Trek RPG boxed set at home &
I think they show a lot of the TOS
type characters, etc. Interesting
stuff.
Centisteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
David Johnston2

Klingons are more Bully than Callous.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #14
fschiff

Why have they been given Extended Lifespan?

I found my copy of GURPS Prime Directive (Star Fleet Battles but based on TOS era Star Trek with their own extras). Those klingons are significantly different. In fact they gave them Short Lifespan.
fschiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:43 AM   #15
borithan

If he is making a template for official canon Klingons they do seem to live longer than humans. In an episode of DS9 there are several (slightly decrepit) Klingons who age from the Original series era (where they were meant to be at their prime). This was making them in the realms of at least 100 (and I am sure some are stated to be older, more like 150 something), and while they are aged they are still active. Now, given the tech in Star Trek they have made clear that living past 100 is not unusual for humans, but they are never mentioned as being as physically able as the Klingons were (no one on screen as active crew is that old).
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #16
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschiff View Post
Why have they been given Extended Lifespan?

I found my copy of GURPS Prime Directive (Star Fleet Battles but based on TOS era Star Trek with their own extras). Those klingons are significantly different. In fact they gave them Short Lifespan.
The "Extended Lifespan" explanation was given by someone else. The explanation for Short Lifespan in Prime Directive comes from a number of novels where it's remarked by many that a Klingon who reaches 30 is venerated and physically old, about equal to a human who is 80.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #17
fschiff

It seems a little weak reasoning. The "we had the actors so lets use them" explanation, doesn't necessarily fit in with 70+ years have gone by in canon.

But, YGMV.
fschiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #18
borithan

Sorry? Not sure I get what you are meaning. While I cannot remember if any specific ages are given in the series, the characters were actually stated to have been in their prime during TOS (and a couple were actually playing the same characters that featured in the TOS... now with nobbly heads, confusing the whole "We don't talk about that"/augment issue), and the writers were (on the most part) well aware that ~80 years had passed according to canon. None of the novels are canon, and so the 100+ year old still active Klingons override that (if you are taking a TV series canon approach. Prime Directive or in a game based on the novels that is a different matter).
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #19
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by borithan View Post
Sorry? Not sure I get what you are meaning. While I cannot remember if any specific ages are given in the series,
I do.

In the second season TOS episode Journey to Babel it is said that Spock's father, Sarek was 102 standard years and it was unusual that he had retired in what was early middle age for a Vulcan.

In the fourth season of Next Generation when Sarek appeared looking quite venerable. he was said to be 204 years old.

Thus I take it that there are roughly 100 years from the 1st season of TOS to the first season of TNG.

The three senior citizen Klingons in DS9 were explictly named as Kang, Kor and Koloth and were definitely the same characters who appeared in TOS.

Extended Lifespan x2 plus Longevity are about right for Vulcans with just the EL2 for Klingons.

McCoy would have been over 140 during his brief appearance on the first EP of TNG but he appeared far less physically fit than any of the Klingons and it could be explained by Longevity (natural or artificallly granted) plus excellant medical care.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #20
Captain Joy

Klingon Template (augment virus afflicted) 1 Point
[10] ST +1

[ 0] Cultural Familiarity (Klingon)
[ 0] Language: Klingonese
[ 4] Damage Resistance 4 (Ablative, -80%) (redundant organs, G:P p. 46)
[ 2] Extended Lifespan 1 (live 150+ years)
[ -10] Intolerance (nonKlingons)
[ -5] Odious Personal Habit (Body Odor: earthy, peaty aroma)
[ 0] Feature: dark skin, size typical of ST10, maturity at 8 years
[ 0] Feature: 1.03g - 1.43g, 65° - 120°F comfort zones

Klingon Warrior Caste Lens 5 Points
[10] ST +1

[ 5] Social Regard (Feared)
[-10] Code of Honor (Klingon Warrior) (similar to Bushido)
[ 0] Feature: 2-3" taller--typical of +1 ST[/QUOTE]

Appropriate Options
[ 2] Hard to Subdue 1
[-10] Bloodlust*
[-10] Bully*
[ -5] Callous
[ 1] Alcohol Tolerance
[ -1] Delusion (I can see in an opponent's eyes any intent to kill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Klingons are more Bully than Callous.
Agreed. Taking everything into account, I'm thinking neither is universal enough to be upgraded from "Appropriate Options" status.

Regarding their lifespans, I'm going with what I believe to be cannon--not Prime Directive.

Regarding social stigma for nonWarriors. I've decided to go with Social Regard for the Warrior caste. I don't feel like shop owners are looked down upon by all Klingon society. To me, it's more the Warrior Caste is in control and knows it.

I've added Hard to Subdue, to reflect their ability to keep on ticking, as an option. I'm not convinced I've seen Klingons acting more resilient than any warrior of any race to put it in my 'official' template. But, this is a matter I could potentially be talked out of.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
klingon, racial template, racial templates, star trek