Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
SwiftOne

Default Link Enhancement

I'm trying to Link an Affliction and an Innate Attack. I can see I have to use Link on both powers. Do I likewise use ALL enhancements/limitations on both, or just on one and add in the cost of the Linked (other Adv)?

Also, as this is my first time actually doing anything significant with Enhancements, comments are welcome:

Concept: Psionic power that is basically a horrible mass psychic-healing in reverse.

Affliction (10/level)
+ Irritant: Nausea +30%
+ Link: +10%
+ Malediction +100%
+ No Signature +20%
+ Area (4yd radius ) +100%
- Emanation -20%
- Nuisance Effect (User does Fright Check at -1/target when used) -10%
- Costs Fatigue (2) - 10%
- Takes Extra Time (2 sec) -10%
- Psi -10%
Totals: +200% = 30/level

Innate Attack (toxic) (4/level)
+ Link: +10%
+ Malediction +100%
+ No Signature +20%
+ Area (4yd radius ) +100%
- Emanation -20%
- Nuisance Effect (User does Fright Check at -1/target when used) -10%
- Costs Fatigue (2) - 10%
- Takes Extra Time (2 sec) -10%
- Psi -10%
Totals: +170% = 10/level

Combined: 40/level

Skill: IQ/H (Resist with quick contest vs HT - I'm assuming the target would just roll and compare to the attackers Psi skill roll margin vs the attacker rolling again?)

Technique: (allows you to be selective on Targets): (i.e. Selective Area +20%)
Default: (above skill-2)

On the whole it seems it'd be far more effective to not worry about the affliction and just pay 10/level for a very potent toxic attack that does 1d/level and bypasses armor. Is nausea really that powerful?

Thanks in advance!
SwiftOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Link Enhancement

Quickly reading over it, maybe just use symptoms with nausea?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Walrus

For Affliction linked to IA try Side Effect or Symptoms.

You can't directly combine Area Effect with Malediction, however. You need Area effect, Cosmic (Auto-hit +100% <No die roll required cost from Powers>) and Resistible (Quick Contest <see Psionic Powers for cost>). No Active Defense is optional but very useful with your little radius and Takes Extra Time, though it's costly.

And you are required to share only activation Enhancements and Limitations such as Takes Extra Time (as well as Limited Use, Preparation Required, All-out and so on). You don't have to share anything else. In current build it costs 4 FP and causes two Fright Checks at user.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
SwiftOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
For Affliction linked to IA try Side Effect or Symptoms.
I had avoided that due to the advice to limit it to 1d or less attacks, but for what I'm doing that does seem to work out more logicially

Quote:
You can't directly combine Area Effect with Malediction, however.
Why not? I can't find anything that says you can't. What am I missing? The Cosmic modifier seems less accurate of a description.

Quote:

And you are required to share only activation Enhancements and Limitations such as Takes Extra Time (as well as Limited Use, Preparation Required, All-out and so on). You don't have to share anything else.
How would I have known this?
SwiftOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftOne View Post
I had avoided that due to the advice to limit it to 1d or less attacks, but for what I'm doing that does seem to work out more logicially
Try Side Effect. And you always can add Resistible to Symptoms though it would be quite complicated.
Quote:
Why not? I can't find anything that says you can't. What am I missing? The Cosmic modifier seems less accurate of a description.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic
Malediction is a “penetration modifier”; you cannot combine it with <...> modifiers that apply only to conventional ranged attacks.
Quote:
How would I have known this?
Common Sense? ;)
Old 11-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
munin

Quote:
...You can't directly combine Area Effect with Malediction...
There are published abilities with both Area Effect and Malediction: Dampen (p. P139), Flash (Psionic Powers, p. 35), every Aura of Power (Pyramid #3/19, pp. 4-11), ...

An Area-Effect Malediction is simply a malediction that affects everyone within an area. Use the malediction range penalties to the center of the area for all subjects (unless it has Dissipation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic
... you cannot combine [Malediction] with ... modifiers that apply only to conventional ranged attacks.
This simply means you cannot combine Malediction with modifiers such as Accuracy and Increased Range that affect ranged attack statistics (Acc, 1/2D, etc.) because Malediction removes those statistics. Area Effect is not one of "...modifiers that apply only to conventional ranged attacks..." because it could be applied to a melee attack too (for example, using the Mass Drain technique with Drain Emotion at levels 1 or 2, Psionic Powers, p. 50; or the Mass Wipe technique with Mindwipe 1 or 2, p. 62). With Melee Attack at Reach C it's usually better to just use Emanation (though there are circumstances where Melee Attack would make more sense), but you could also imagine Area Effect, 2 yards + Melee Attack, Reach 1-4 for a whip which creates a sonic boom where it hits.

Quote:
And you are required to share only activation Enhancements and Limitations such as Takes Extra Time (as well as Limited Use, Preparation Required, All-out and so on). You don't have to share anything else...
Interesting. Cite?

In general I would say that the minimum requirement is that linked advantages have the same method of affecting a subject. If one is a ranged attack, the other must be and they must have the same ranged attack statistics (Malf., 1/2D, Max, etc.) as per the enhancement description (p. B106). If they are a melee attack they both must have the same Melee Attack. I wouldn't say that they must have the same penetration modifiers -- for example, one could be a contact agent and the other not, and one might simply not be effective in certain attacks.

For activation limitations on transient advantages (such as Affliction, Binding, Innate Attack) linked at +10%, I would treat one advantage as accessible only (and automatically) when the other is used. Put limitations on the advantage which will give the most points back and not on the other. This keeps things consistent with the other way of combining advantages (Accessibility).

Last edited by munin; 11-05-2011 at 10:24 AM.
munin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessibility, link