Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2022, 07:49 AM   #11
Kesendeja

Default Re: Create Powerstone for Sorcery, Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Costs Fatigue is part of the Sorcery Limitation, so probably shouldn't be taken again, unless the intent is that a level 1 powerstone requires you to do two of Gestures, Speaking, and spending 1 FP (as usual) and then calls for spending 1 FP (so either Gestures+Speaking+1 FP, or one of Gestures/Speaking and 2 FP). Later levels should have Costs Fatigue applied to the Affliction, however, on account of it costing +1 FP per +1 ER.

You still have Permanent Duration at +50%. It should be +300% if it's not possible to dispel, but you don't need to account for the two separately.

I'm still not convinced No Resistance is legal, but given this is going to be applied to an object, I'd give it a pass.

Duration/Dispellability, Resistance, Costs FP, Requires Skill Check, Sorcery, Touch Only, and Requires Valuable Gem should only be applied to the Affliction, not to the ER. Duration/Resistance doesn't make any sense on ER, Costs FP would render it useless (you have to spend FP to make use of the functional FP stored within), Requires Skill Check would mean you have a pass a skill check every time you want to make use of the ER, ER's are basically treated as having the appropriate Power Modifier at no additional discount anyway (so no Sorcery), Touch Only doesn't make sense (the user of the gem needs to be touching it to use it, sure, but that's part of Affects Others), and Requires Valuable Gem doesn't make sense (unless you want the powerstone to need to be in contact with another gem to make use of the ER).

EDIT: Also, if you want Slow Recharge on the ER, you'll want to apply an appropriate Limitation on it (see Powers). Normally, it recovers at a rate of 1 per 10 minutes.
I've upped no resistance to 300% and recalculated the costs' based on your input. Thanks BTW.

so for further levels, do you apply the cost for the affliction part? or is it just the Energy Reserve?
Old 04-13-2022, 08:08 AM   #12
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
I've upped no resistance to 300% and recalculated the costs' based on your input. Thanks BTW.

so for further levels, do you apply the cost for the affliction part? or is it just the Energy Reserve?
So, I think it would look something like this:

Level 1: Affliction (Advantage, Powerstone* +39%; Permanent Duration, Cannot be Dispelled +300%; No Resistance Roll +300%; Requires Skill Check -10%; Sorcery -15%; Touch Only -10%; Requires Valuable Gem -40%) [66.4]
Level 2: Affliction (Advantage, Powerstone* +39%; Advantage, Powerstone (Costs Fatigue -5%) +37%; Permanent Duration, Cannot be Dispelled +300%; No Resistance Roll +300%; Requires Skill Check -10%; Sorcery -15%; Touch Only -10%; Requires Valuable Gem -40%) [70.1]
Level 3: Affliction (Advantage, Powerstone* +39%; Advantage, Powerstone (Costs Fatigue -5%) +37%; Advantage, Powerstone (Costs Fatigue -5%) +37%; Permanent Duration, Cannot be Dispelled +300%; No Resistance Roll +300%; Requires Skill Check -10%; Sorcery -15%; Touch Only -10%; Requires Valuable Gem -40%) [73.8]
etc

That makes it [66.4] for level 1, and [+3.7] per additional level. The above construct, with Advantage, Powerstone* +39%; Advantage, Powerstone (Costs Fatigue -5%) +37%; Advantage, Powerstone (Costs Fatigue -5%) +37%; etc, basically says afflicting 1 ER is covered by the Sorcery Limitation, and each additional ER calls for +1 FP, using the rules for Limiting Enhancements (in this case, Limiting the "Advantage" Enhancement for Affliction).

*Powerstone: Magic Energy Reserve (Spells Only -20%; Affects Others +50%) [3.9]

EDIT: As an aside, note you can cut the cost down by [30] by getting rid of No Resistance Roll, and will probably be better off for it. Powerstone should probably count as a beneficial Affliction, in which case the target needs to pass an HT roll for it to work. Most quality gems probably have HT 10-12 (weaker ones probably have a lot of occlusions and the like, which is going to make them less valuable anyway), so at worst you're looking at a 50% failure rate. Being able to access the spell with a lower level of Sorcery, as well as saving [6] (as an Alternate Ability), are probably worth it for the small inconvenience of sometimes needing to cast the spell twice.

Last edited by Varyon; 04-13-2022 at 08:18 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:20 AM   #13
Taneli

If you insist on building that, I would rather if you build it similar to the Enchant spell, with sacrificing CP and all that.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:26 AM   #14
Kesendeja

Quote:
So, I think it would look something like this:

Level 1: Affliction (Advantage, Powerstone* +39%; Permanent Duration, Cannot be Dispelled +300%; No Resistance Roll +300%; Requires Skill Check -10%; Sorcery -15%; Touch Only -10%; Requires Valuable Gem -40%) [66.4]
Level 2: Affliction (Advantage, Powerstone* +39%; Advantage, Powerstone (Costs Fatigue -5%) +37%; Permanent Duration, Cannot be Dispelled +300%; No Resistance Roll +300%; Requires Skill Check -10%; Sorcery -15%; Touch Only -10%; Requires Valuable Gem -40%) [70.1]
Level 3: Affliction (Advantage, Powerstone* +39%; Advantage, Powerstone (Costs Fatigue -5%) +37%; Advantage, Powerstone (Costs Fatigue -5%) +37%; Permanent Duration, Cannot be Dispelled +300%; No Resistance Roll +300%; Requires Skill Check -10%; Sorcery -15%; Touch Only -10%; Requires Valuable Gem -40%) [73.8]
etc

That makes it [66.4] for level 1, and [+3.7] per additional level. The above construct, with Advantage, Powerstone* +39%; Advantage, Powerstone (Costs Fatigue -5%) +37%; Advantage, Powerstone (Costs Fatigue -5%) +37%; etc, basically says afflicting 1 ER is covered by the Sorcery Limitation, and each additional ER calls for +1 FP, using the rules for Limiting Enhancements (in this case, Limiting the "Advantage" Enhancement for Affliction).

*Powerstone: Magic Energy Reserve (Spells Only -20%; Affects Others +50%) [3.9]

EDIT: As an aside, note you can cut the cost down by [30] by getting rid of No Resistance Roll, and will probably be better off for it. Powerstone should probably count as a beneficial Affliction, in which case the target needs to pass an HT roll for it to work. Most quality gems probably have HT 10-12 (weaker ones probably have a lot of occlusions and the like, which is going to make them less valuable anyway), so at worst you're looking at a 50% failure rate. Being able to access the spell with a lower level of Sorcery, as well as saving [6] (as an Alternate Ability), are probably worth it for the small inconvenience of sometimes needing to cast the spell twice.
Thank you so much.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:29 AM   #15
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Depends on what you mean by "generate magic" as at a fundamental level that is what the Mana Pool quirk, Mana Enhancer, Powerstone, and Paut (charm) all do. If fact, if you want powerful one shot pools of Fatigue every 1.42 days (~34 hours) in Normal mana then Paut (charm) is your go too.
Basically any time you can wish for more wishes, it bypasses that as a meaningful limit.

Accumulating power isn't "wishing for more wishes", though. It's a trade-off limiting how often or how fast you can use your power. Powerstones work nicely as an emergency power source, but they usually take a very long time to recharge. Paut is also a fair "store now, use later" solution, but it's usually not quite as accessible (drink potion, break charm) and it also takes a fair time investment to create.

As for this power stone build, I don't quite understand the rationale behind it:
- Sorcery has rules for the "affliction" used to create an item. You wouldn't need this affliction ability at all.
- ER shouldn't get "magic only" since ER is always tied to one source.
- ER also doesn't need Affects Others unless this pool is shared by multiple (willing) people that are touching. Items that convey ER would work just like an item enchanted with any other spell allowing the user to benefit from the advantage.
- ER should have a limitation if it's recharging slower than 1/10 min.

Here's how I'd do it:
Powerstore spell stats: ER (Magic; Slow Recharge: Hourly -20%) [2.4/lvl].

Creating an object with this would require the Enchant [36 pts] using the Sorcery rules on p30. As a special effect, "usually on" in this case would be how the item recharges. That normally costs the user 1 fatigue / hour while active so it would work out about the same. The user loses 1 fatigue while the ER is gaining 1 per hour during charging.

Example: Enchantro (TL8) knows Enchant and wants to create a power stone with the spell Powerstore 10 (24 points). Enchantro needs an item worth $3k, must spend at least 3 CP, and make quite a few enchanting rolls to create it.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:12 AM   #16
Kesendeja

I think part of the problem is that Affliction has always confused me.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:43 AM   #17
naloth

Quote:
I think part of the problem is that Affliction has always confused me.
That's certainly understandable. It's a packed advantage, with quite a few updates and clarifications. Furthermore, the Sorcery enchantment rules take a few liberties.

Based on my understanding here's how Sorcery "Personal Sacrifice" enchantment works:
- You need an object of a certain value to enchant.
- You need to have the Enchant spell.
- I'd suggest the enchanter also needs to have the spell he's enchanting as an AA, but I don't see any requirement for that. For a dedicated enchanter that's not a caster, I'd call it a perk to know enough about a spell to enchant without being able to cast. Both of these are personal house rules.
- Your enchanter spends 1 CP (which is permanently sacrificed) each day he's enchanting then rolls. On anything other than a critical failure, some EP is added to the enchantment total. When the EP total equals the (full) CP cost for the spell, the item is fully enchanted.

Example: You want to enchant a ring with a 10 point (full cost) spell. You have an Enchant skill of 12. The item cost must exceed $1k. Rolling to enchant:
- Day 1: roll of a 10 (MoS 2). 1 CP spent and 2 EP added. EP total 2.
- Day 2: roll of a 14 (failure). 1 CP spent and 1 EP added. EP total 3.
- Day 3: roll of a 17 (crit failure). 1 CP spent, no EP added. EP total still 3.
- Day 4: roll of a 3 (crit success). 1 CP spent, 10 EP added. EP total 13.

The 13 EP is greater than 10 (spell cost), so the item is complete. This example cost the caster a total of 4 CP, 4 days of work, and a $1,000+ item.

Last edited by naloth; 04-13-2022 at 09:48 AM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 01:47 PM   #18
Plane

Quote:
Powerstone: Magic Energy Reserve (Affects Others +50%, Slow Recharge: Hourly -20%) [3.9]
Normally with an 'Affects Others' advantage you need to make the sapient choice to affect another with that advantage using a Ready maneuver...

One thing to reference here would be the Improved Zombie that Kromm wrote up in Pyramid 3/1

"The zombie lending him energy must take a Ready maneuver (not fight!) to do so" is the condition mentioned.

To 'affect other' without taking a Ready I think would require 'Reduced Time' enhancement to make it a free action, but you would still need awareness of the person being there.

This makes me think something like Reflexive +40% might be necessary for Powerstones to be automatically affecting those who touch them with access to their ER, since they are insensate characters.

Quote:
I'm still not convinced No Resistance is legal, but given this is going to be applied to an object, I'd give it a pass.
It's definitely not legal. If you want to forgoe objects resisting your spells you should make it a Malediction which targets Will, objects have IQ/Per/Will of 0 so the best result they can get (at a 3) is a MoF of 3, so any successful roll (which Malediction requires anyway, it doesn't work with MoF 1 for example) will work against them.

Last edited by Plane; 04-15-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers, powerstones, sorcery